What Is Cheesy?

Abominus

Registered
Reaction score
I would like your opinions/thoughts on this:

Here in the US, there is a HUGE "war" between the people who love Rap/Hip Hop and the people who love Dance music in all its forms. It's too long for me to get into but I think that all of us here know how we feel about popular Rap music:unsure:

Now, I have seen a few times here on how someone will make fun of a group like, Milk Inc, or Sylver and those sort of groups. They compare those groups to Trance and for some reason, Trance and their fans are superior to fans of the Milk Inc, Sylver, Lasgo stuff.

People say that music like Milk Inc, Cascada and all of those acts are "cheesy" and I always wanted to know why.

Yes, I do love Milk Inc. and those groups. Cascada? Yes, I do think that their production is getting dated with that same synthed kick drum on almost EVERY song that they have made but, I do like them a bit, you know? It's not all THAT bad and Natalie is a little German hottie IMO:mask: but regardless.......

I would like to know what makes a person like Armin van Buuren or Sean Tyas better than the Milk Incs and those sort of groups. What makes Trance better than well, you know, the groups that I just mentioned?

Can't we all just get along? :hug:

Again, I love it all. But yes, there are some "acts" that I just do not like at all. DJ Sammy and DJ Alligator for one:p

Have at it kids.

Now, where's that Supersized DVD?:icecream:

Abominus

Always an interesting point, essentially there's no underlying objective difference in terms of "quality" between any piece of music and any other. All the values that music, and art generally, has put on it are based on subjective opinions of individuals.

Collective subjective opinions often get mistaken for facts, just because of a majority of people who hold those opinions. For example, "Mozart was a genius." This is widely accepted as fact because everyone always seems to refer to him as one, regardless of whether they like Mozart or not, and in spite of the fact that no-one alive today will have ever met him in order to base an opinion on him in person.

Similarly, "Cascada is cheese, Sasha & Digweed are cool" is another subjective opinion that persists because lots of people believe it, but it's as meaningless as me saying "blue is the best colour, green is rubbish" - there are no facts I can give to back up this statement which will make it true.

I can see that there's a general underlying consensus that if you produce music which is simplistic, unimaginative, and attempts to appeal to people's basic instincts (often helped by having a "hottie" front the band), then it is just naturally "not as good" as some audio soundscape that S&D spent weeks producing in 22.2 surround sound, but that's still a complete illusion.

At the end of the day, everyone likes different music, everyone. If you got every person on the planet to list their favourite 100 pieces of music I'm confident you won't get any identical matches whatsoever.

I've never quite understood the whole "my music is better than your music" thing. My favourite food is pizza but I don't go around telling all the people who like curry best that they're wrong. The pizza/curry argument is just as ridiculous as the blue/green argument, and likewise, just as ridiculous as the trance/R&B or Cascada/Sasha & Digweed argument.

The way I see it, if you like music, you should enjoy it. If you don't, then don't listen to it. And if you just want to feel superior to someone, there's no need to slag off the music they like, just watch the Jerry Springer show instead :lol:

cheesy is anything that is played in commercial clubs where people think they are actually going clubbing, when really all they are foing is going out on the pull and getting pissed. obviously there are tunes that are released that are wikid in pop culture but i dont like the look at me, look at me culture either.

examples or cheesy cringe worthy music:

New R'n'B (everyone knows The Who was original R'n'B)
wacking lyrics over good electro songs
harcore
and the cheeiest of all is cheesy trance/dance = cascada!!!

cheesy is anything that is played in commercial clubs where people think they are actually going clubbing, when really all they are foing is going out on the pull and getting pissed. obviously there are tunes that are released that are wikid in pop culture but i dont like the look at me, look at me culture either.

examples or cheesy cringe worthy music:

New R'n'B (everyone knows The Who was original R'n'B)
wacking lyrics over good electro songs
harcore
and the cheeiest of all is cheesy trance/dance = cascada!!!

haha that made me laugh so much, but its true!
Some people like cheese, but each to their own I guess

Always an interesting point, essentially there's no underlying objective difference in terms of "quality" between any piece of music and any other. All the values that music, and art generally, has put on it are based on subjective opinions of individuals.

Collective subjective opinions often get mistaken for facts, just because of a majority of people who hold those opinions. For example, "Mozart was a genius." This is widely accepted as fact because everyone always seems to refer to him as one, regardless of whether they like Mozart or not, and in spite of the fact that no-one alive today will have ever met him in order to base an opinion on him in person.

Similarly, "Cascada is cheese, Sasha & Digweed are cool" is another subjective opinion that persists because lots of people believe it, but it's as meaningless as me saying "blue is the best colour, green is rubbish" - there are no facts I can give to back up this statement which will make it true.

I can see that there's a general underlying consensus that if you produce music which is simplistic, unimaginative, and attempts to appeal to people's basic instincts (often helped by having a "hottie" front the band), then it is just naturally "not as good" as some audio soundscape that S&D spent weeks producing in 22.2 surround sound, but that's still a complete illusion.

At the end of the day, everyone likes different music, everyone. If you got every person on the planet to list their favourite 100 pieces of music I'm confident you won't get any identical matches whatsoever.

I've never quite understood the whole "my music is better than your music" thing. My favourite food is pizza but I don't go around telling all the people who like curry best that they're wrong. The pizza/curry argument is just as ridiculous as the blue/green argument, and likewise, just as ridiculous as the trance/R&B or Cascada/Sasha & Digweed argument.

The way I see it, if you like music, you should enjoy it. If you don't, then don't listen to it. And if you just want to feel superior to someone, there's no need to slag off the music they like, just watch the Jerry Springer show instead :lol:

Well, that says it all really. Great explanation! Got nothing to add :)

Now, I have seen a few times here on how someone will make fun of a group like, Milk Inc, or Sylver and those sort of groups. They compare those groups to Trance and for some reason, Trance and their fans are superior to fans of the Milk Inc, Sylver, Lasgo stuff.

People say that music like Milk Inc, Cascada and all of those acts are "cheesy" and I always wanted to know why.

Yes, I do love Milk Inc. and those groups. Cascada? Yes, I do think that their production is getting dated with that same synthed kick drum on almost EVERY song that they have made but, I do like them a bit, you know? It's not all THAT bad and Natalie is a little German hottie IMO:mask: but regardless.......

Abominus

I don't like Cascada, or Hands-Up for that matter. It's not just Cascada's tracks that sound the same; every Hands-Up track sounds the same. They're making music out of templates, and remaking old songs. Whatever happened to originality? :p

Back