01-10-2008 - 14-10-2008 October DJ Contest **CLOSED**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, next month i'm gonna send my on the 1st :/

Will software mixes be allowed in November?

unfortunately not, november is hardware only again

I don't remember when we'll have the results :D

Is it end of the month or beginning of the next month ? ;)

isn't that the same thing? :tongue:
definitely before the set is gonna be played :lol:

Yep, I wanted to say, the week before the show or the same week as it has to be played ;)

Ahah, can't wait the results ^^

they're almost ready, will be announced tomorrow :)

Impacientes para ver los resultados..pero que es un dia mas de espera :D

Ladies and gentlemen, the jury has finished with their voting and we got a result!

Again, a big THANK YOU to all participants! Overall quality of the sets was very good this month, and the race for 1st place was quite a close one. However we got a winner :)

And the winner is:
Dan Carmelo !!

Congratulations!

Your set will be played November 5th (Wednesday) at 15:00 CET (calendar event link)! Good job mate!

There will be a new contest in November, possibly with slightly changed rules for a certain occasion... Stay tuned!

the close 2nd place (only short about 1 point) was scored by Marco18. And the also close 3rd place (again short by another point) was scored by MarcEau.

and here is what a jury member had to say:

01:
Starts nicely, good melody with relaxed energy, but then at 12m: doesn't matter how it's mixed, New York City depresses me. Interesting vocal in the next track. Another depressing track follows. First half pretty dreary. Second half is more of the same, low on melody and energy. I couldn't get into it, I like bounce in my trance.

02:
Opener is unfamiliar but moody. Pretty good track at 10m. More melodic at mid-point. Gets a little soulful at 38m. Fairly relaxed, even moody and a little dark set, until 55m where it suddenly gets driving. A little too much, too late, imo. Set was decent if unspectacular.

03:
Gets off to a good start, energy level is decent. Cools down a little at 20m and never really recovers. Nice sounding, but not quite enough life. A bit of a snoozer, tbh. A set needs a track or two to make the listener take notice of it, there wasn't really a track in the second half that did that.

04:
At 20m we get Love You More, the first track that wakes me up. Still pretty low-key set overall, however, which is a bit of a trend this month. Maybe the fall season depresses people? Nice piece at 35m. Torture at 45m. First real lively piece right at the end, 57m. Pluses for a good track or two, minus for the pain at 45m.

05:
Missed first 30m. What does that say? Second time through I noticed the first track, and then the track at 42m. Track at 48m also notable. Last 20m were better, but still uninspiring. Not noticing part of a set for me is both good and bad: it means that the mixing was good and track choices consistent, maintaining a similar mood and flow, but it's bad because in a contest you need your set to capture the judges' attention. Sets that pass without notice get a middling grade.

06:
Hey, this set has some life, at 15m. Weird, this DJ must not have got the "low-key" memo for this month. Gets quite lively at 25m, if not careful this set will be voted out of the tribe. It's still good at 40m, this dj is really in the wrong contest! Wow, lively right to the end. Good stuff. Comments are a bit cheeky, but there's a lesson in them: this is one of only two or three lively, energetic sets this month, and because of that, they really stand out. This month energy was unique, next month it might be something deep or really driving.

07:
Nice stuff for first 15m. Time for the crying trance track at 20m. Still lively and energetic at 30m. Huge uplift at 48m, one of my faves! Ends well, big energy. This set, along with the few other lively ones, really buck the trend for this month. Regardless of mixing and uniqueness of tracks, this set stands out by being different and engaging. That's a key, you need some tracks to hook the listener, or to put your own style into the set.

08:
Starts well, good bounce and some mood, then some Arminish piece, synch chord driven rather than melody. Feel For You? Loses it's way through the middle, middling tracks really. Oh, and I never realized just how over Oceanic I am. Gets all touchy at 42m before re-finding vibe at 54m. Merely decent, although I had high hopes after first track, because it caught my attention.

09:
Another set that I didn't really notice the first time through. Second listen: first two tracks decent. Low key, but melodic and atmospheric. Next few tracks merely pass the time. Still relaxed, but without much personality. Odd ditty at 39m, has some small appeal. Rest of the set is much the same colourless stuff. You know how certain DJs have their own "sound" or style? That makes their sets unique and notable.

10:
Starts with difficulty, her voice gets in the way. Touching pieces at 10 & 20m. Melodic heaven at 30m. I was transported at 50m, an incredible piece of uplift and melody. I was worried at the first track, but the set surprised me, good job. I like that this set caught me, making me think it was going one way, then going another. Sometime a set that journeys, moving from one mood to another can really work well also.

again, if youre curious about your ranking and what number you had in the voting, send a PM!

ok, i'm 4th so congrats the winner ;) I'll put my set to the dj/producer forum.

Congratz dude! Gonna have to listen to my superiors! :D
Oh and I hope there will be more jury feedback...

Last edited:
And the winner is:
Dan Carmelo !!

Congratulations!

OMG You just made my day! I can hardly believe that I won this month's competition :super:

My set will be aired on one and only AH.FM - that is sooo cool :)

Big thank you to the judges and congrats to Marco18 and MarcEau too :grinning:

Cheers mates!

Hey all!:friends:

And the winner is:
Dan Carmelo !!

Congratulations!

+1 from me ! :bravo: Good job mate!

But for me the 2nd place... it's incredible, it should be lower I guess:
After I sent it in, I hesitated several times for withdrawing from the contest... I thought it was too sloppy => stutter in the middle, some points not 100% sharp in the transition, strange tracks in the end, 1 track too loud; all because made in a hurry at night, lol :).
But OK, it had some nice features, including this one: it ended with 'End Game' from The Viceroy, how applicable: end game for the viceroy (i.e. 2nd place) of this contest, hahaha :grinning:
If one of you is really interested in my hour, send a PM ! :music:

MarcEau also congratulations :) Same name, lol!

Bye bye & regards to all.
Thanks also to the judging people! It certainly took ya a lot of time...

Last edited:
Hey all!:friends:

And the winner is:
Dan Carmelo !!

Congratulations!

+1 from me ! :bravo: Good job mate!

But for me the 2nd place... it's incredible, it should be lower I guess:
After I sent it in, I hesitated several times for withdrawing from the contest... I thought it was too sloppy => stutter in the middle, some points not 100% sharp in the transition, strange tracks in the end, 1 track too loud; all because made in a hurry at night, lol :).
But OK, it had some nice features, including this one: it ended with 'End Game' from The Viceroy, how applicable: end game for the viceroy (i.e. 2nd place) of this contest, hahaha :grinning:
If one of you is really interested in my hour, send a PM ! :music:

Bye bye & regards to all.
Thanks also to the judging people! It certainly took ya a lot of time...

Yeah, you told me that you made the mix in a hurry and some transitions wasn't really sharped and that you wouldn't have a chance to win ^^

But second lol, Marco, could you give me that mix :p Maybe you underate yourself ^^

Edit : Anyway, from what I'm listening, I enjoy your mix eheh

Last edited:
Mine can be downloaded here for anyone who is interested.

Tracklist
01. Agnelli & Nelson pres. A&N Project - Sleeping in Airports (Steve Allen & Ben Alonzi Remix)
02. Friends of Street Parade - Move Your Mind (Aly & Fila Remix)
03. Above & Beyond pres. Tranquility Base - Oceanic ( Super8 & Tab Remix)
04. Solarstone - Spectrum (Duderstadt Remix)
05. Steve Allen & Ben Alonzi vs. Lars Hansem - Morning After (Steve Allen Remix)
06. Off Key - Showdown (Ali Wilson & Scott Attrill Remix)
07. Serenade - Most Beautiful Happened (Original Mix)
08. Andy Tau - It Only Takes One (Original Mix)
09. Orjan Nilsen - La Guitarra (Omnia Remix)

Yeah, you told me that you made the mix in a hurry and some transitions wasn't really sharped and that you wouldn't have a chance to win ^^

But second lol, Marco, could you give me that mix :p Maybe you underate yourself ^^

Edit : Anyway, from what I'm listening, I enjoy your mix eheh

Haha, lol :grinning:

Thanks for your opinion! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back