Beatport presents Mixed In Key’s “Harmonic Mixing” DJ Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
then you totally did not understand harmonic mixing.

going one semitone up or down is almost as far off-key as you can go.

Well I Scarcely Do That G With G#$ ,,,etc ... Mostly I Do The Way as I Told 2A/3A/ ....etc .... Few Some Tracks I Mixed Which Like I Told :mask: & I Can Prove That :) !!! & Also I Think Most Of My Mixes 're Well Built Up !! So I Dont need 2 Worry Coz That Works With Me

SOmething I Want 2 add , That Mixed in Keys Developer ThemSelves Confessed That Mixed in Key Program is not 100% Accurate in Reading Keys :grinning2: ... So As I Told in Some Ways it Works :)

& As I Told Ya ,, Everyone has his Own Way in mixing :) !! ,,

what you mean "use the original", the original mix, what's wrong with a remix?

Nopeee !!! ,, I meant The Origin ( Our Ears ) ,, Coz Mixed in Keys is Not 100% Accurate :grinning2: !!

Nopeee !!! ,, I meant The Origin ( Our Ears ) ,, Coz Mixed in Keys is Not 100% Accurate :grinning2: !!

there's other programs that would give you the keys

while i agree that some tracks will mix in nicely at even 3 "hours" difference i can't agree that mixing two tracks on the opposite sides of the spectrum can possibly sound good, the melodies will crash badly, assuming you are not using any other sounds/effects to bridge the transition, which is not the purpose of this competition and doesn't qualify as mixed in key

there's other programs that would give you the keys

while i agree that some tracks will mix in nicely at even 3 "hours" difference i can't agree that mixing two tracks on the opposite sides of the spectrum can possibly sound good, the melodies will crash badly, assuming you are not using any other sounds/effects to bridge the transition, which is not the purpose of this competition and doesn't qualify as mixed in key

Yeah !! I Use Another Program Which Detects Also The keys !! But There 's Something I Just Noticed ,,, That The Program I Use Doesnt Read The Same SeQuence of The Key & KeyCode Of The Spectrum :O !!! ...

I Think It's Not In Opposite Side !! I Reviewed many Old Sets I did & Found That about 3 Times I Did mix on That way & was the transition at least good with no noise , I believe u 're right Too ( Theoretical ) But in Practical Key Readers 're not 100% accurate ,,,

also Something I Did Deduce from Tryin 2 Produce ,, That I may Make a Track With Key Code 7A & After Finishing it , It Becomes 9A For Ex.

Therefore The Other Elements in The Track affects also the Keys ,,, That means That The Key reader 'll Not Predict The Key of The Melody Alone , Just Only The Sound Of The Whole Track ,,, If The MaJority of The Track Elements Key 're 7A 'll Read The Whole Key 7A ,, While May be The Track Main Pads For Ex 's 4A 'when Readed Seperatly !!!!

Just My Point !!!Despte I Support Using Key SeQuence ,,, But If The Keys SaYs NO & May My Ears Says Yes & in That Case I 'd Trust My Ears :lol: :music:

Just My Point !!!Despte I Support Using Key SeQuence ,,, But If The Keys SaYs NO & May My Ears Says Yes & in That Case I 'd Trust My Ears :lol: :music:

there will always be some errors in detection, so that is certainly the way to go, your ears and experience surpasses any machine based result :ee:

I Think It's Not In Opposite Side !! I Reviewed many Old Sets I did & Found That about 3 Times I Did mix on That way & was the transition at least good with no noise

it still is on almost opposite sides. F is on 4A and F# is on 11A. that's a difference of 5 keys!

also Something I Did Deduce from Tryin 2 Produce ,, That I may Make a Track With Key Code 7A & After Finishing it , It Becomes 9A For Ex.

Therefore The Other Elements in The Track affects also the Keys ,,, That means That The Key reader 'll Not Predict The Key of The Melody Alone , Just Only The Sound Of The Whole Track ,,, If The MaJority of The Track Elements Key 're 7A 'll Read The Whole Key 7A ,, While May be The Track Main Pads For Ex 's 4A 'when Readed Seperatly !!!!

you're confusing chords with keys. a track only has a single key, but has many different chords. as for mixing, the key is only a rough guideline, which most of the time works "good enough", but for real perfect mixing, you'd have to note the beginning chord and the ending chord of each track. many times they're the same as the key, but not always, in which cases the transitions won't be perfectly in-key... please read up on musical theory. the more different chords you have in a track, the less accurate key detection will be, because there is less of a "real true" answer to the question which key the track is in.

that's why there's so many bad sounding mashups out there. noob "producers" taking two tracks that are in the same key and just putting the parts over each other, while the tracks are actually changing chords at different spots, making the mashup sound totally awful.

Well I Scarcely Do That G With G#$ ,,,etc ... Mostly I Do The Way as I Told 2A/3A/ ....etc .... Few Some Tracks I Mixed Which Like I Told :mask: & I Can Prove That :) !!! & Also I Think Most Of My Mixes 're Well Built Up !! So I Dont need 2 Worry Coz That Works With Me

ok, but you're missing the point. yes, there's many transitions that will sound fine while they're not in-key. but either you're mixing in-key or you aren't, and when you go from F to F#, you are totally off-key!

Last edited:
To upload are we just uploading the MP3 or are we uploading a video of ourselves DJ'ing? Please help someone.

I would imagine it's an mp3 that is uploaded to them, for any questions regarding the competition, please email the hosts of the competition: contact@mixedinkey.com or check Mixed In Key DJ Contest for more info

Closing date is the 15th so only a few days left.

harmonic mixing is something that don't works always, when you've no clue or what to mix next (if you are mixing a set of 4 hours sooner or later you'll have to mix something unprepared) you can get help of the keys or trust in your ear, doing some active listening you can realize similar bass or similar melodies that could fit but it's not a must.

Also you can try cool things like

+1,+0,+1,+0 one of my favourite ones, never tryed -1,-1,-1 it might be cool too :D it's something innovative mixing in keys

no you can NOT mix F into F# or G into G#, that will sound totally horrible!

this is completely true, if you have ever played the piano you would know that if you are playing F and play F # (the black one) it sounds really distorted, sharps sound horrible with "common ones" (white ones) unless some exceptions that make the mixing in key possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back