help with recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

waseemd16

Registered
Reaction score
i bought dj equipment i have everything plugged in but i dont know what software to use to record my sets

What about sound card? I'd like a good one and cheap for my laptop. Any ideas?
Is the Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook good?
Cheers

i bought dj equipment i have everything plugged in but i dont know what software to use to record my sets

KRISTAL Audio Engine is good, quite complete and free as well :grinning:
Edit;
Audacity as recommended by dfx is def more ease of use but although KRISTAL can be confusing to the newb it has a lot of options to play with once you know your way around.

What about sound card? I'd like a good one and cheap for my laptop. Any ideas?
Is the Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook good?
Cheers
what do you want to do with it, just listening or you want to mix, hook up gear and/or produce?
Creative stuff imho is only good for gaming.

Last edited:
what do you want to do with it, just listening or you want to mix, hook up gear and/or produce?

I want to record my own sets as mp3. I have 2 cdjs and 1 mixer.
Thank you.

i can recommend sound card by M-Audio... they're quite pricey, but definitely worth the money.

i can recommend sound card by M-Audio... they're quite pricey, but definitely worth the money.

I didn't find. it seems a little complicated the website... category-subcategory but isn't in there what im looking for or it is but not getting it right.
thanks.

I didn't find. it seems a little complicated the website... category-subcategory but isn't in there what im looking for or it is but not getting it right.
thanks.

first box in that link: audio interfaces. usb, pci, firewire

for simplicity as you hook your stuff up mainly to the mixer and need no extra connectivity really
the Edirol (Roland) UA-1EX is quite cheap and does the job.

If you want to step up the quality the Tapco (Mackie) link.usb is really good though you have to check your mixer's connectors (if it can't do XLR or S/PDF you have to work with adapters which if crap can pick up interferences)

E-MU (which is owned now by Creative but nothing like their usual stuff) offers good external interfaces too and also the aforementioned m-audio cards are okay.

always check for connectors and software/OS and that your USB transfer is up to scratch.
if you have problems now with hooking up devices to USB (interupts, instability) it won't get better with your soundcard. also if you can afford it and have the option go with a firewire device as it has faster transfer speeds (but not really important for your uses)

for simplicity as you hook your stuff up mainly to the mixer and need no extra connectivity really
the Edirol (Roland) UA-1EX is quite cheap and does the job.

If you want to step up the quality the Tapco (Mackie) link.usb is really good though you have to check your mixer's connectors (if it can't do XLR or S/PDF you have to work with adapters which if crap can pick up interferences)

E-MU (which is owned now by Creative but nothing like their usual stuff) offers good external interfaces too and also the aforementioned m-audio cards are okay.

always check for connectors and software/OS and that your USB transfer is up to scratch.
if you have problems now with hooking up devices to USB (interupts, instability) it won't get better with your soundcard. also if you can afford it and have the option go with a firewire device as it has faster transfer speeds (but not really important for your uses)

Thank you again. I liked both of these two. Tapco I think would do a great job though, my mixer is djm400 would it work ok with?

you could use the Tapco but you'd need XLR to RCA adapters for connecting to your mixer

and keep in mind that this is a two-single channel interface, you balance the two on the interface itself (gain buttons input 1 and 2)
also note that the inputs are pre-amped (little button with guitar switching between line / instrument), something you don't really need except for you want to record your guitar or microphone or run your TT straight off the interface.

easier to use is the M-Audio Audiophile USB
as it has RCA connectors and treats both input channels with one gain button

output on both is either direct from the monitor plugs into active speakers/monitors or into an amp with hooked up speakers

The M-Audio offers MIDI input too, you could hook up a foot pedal or something else that triggers effects or a keyboard/synth. It has 1/4" inputs too where you could connect other sound sources to, MiniDisc (if they're still around), iPod via jack, tape, answering machine, ghetto blaster, whatever.

Actually between the two the M-Audio would suit you better, the Tapco is more geared towards musicians I'd say. Still, the Edirol is probably best - and cheapest.

In all cases read the manuals and consult your dealer..

I want to record my own sets as mp3. I have 2 cdjs and 1 mixer.
Thank you.

i use the sound blaster, the regular version that is. this one:

soundblasterconnect_800.png

Very crisp sound, i would recommend it. Only problem is that my sound blaster is very sensitive to movement, in the beginning i sometimes had skips in my sets. But then i placed it onto a stable place and there were no skips to be found. Even tho that happened, i would still say you should go for it. It's not expensive either, so it's worth the shot. you get all the plugs you need in the package also, and software to record the digital signal on your laptop, tit's all in one really :)

Last edited:
KRISTAL is very nice for the price(free lol). I recommend it:grinning:

I am actually quite suprised with this programs ease of use and functionality. Iv been into production for years and this program could possibly have use for me, tho Im getting into Pro Tools and other more advanced programs, this is much more understandable for a newcommer.

+1, stay away from Creative! You pay a lot for EAX and other technologies you don't need for producing, listening or recording!

Like dfx said, M-Audio is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back