Help with Traktor 3

Exortius

Registered
Reaction score
I have recently started to use Traktor 3 but am having some trouble setting it up. I can set music folders via the preferences button in the top right, and import them from the interface in the bottom left. However this doesn't seem to grab songs from any subfolders in the directory. Is there a better way to add songs to Traktor 3? Or better yet, can i import m3u playlists? I would love to be able to choose the 20 or so tracks i'm mixing, save them as a playlist, and then import that into Traktor.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey there Exortius, Traktor 3 hey, well your on the right track, unfortunately traktor 3 cant do M3u playlists, it has its own way of doing them called *.nml files, which you will see if you try to export an already made playlist, which can also then be imported (on another pc for example, provided the audio files exist etc)

As for adding songs to traktor 3, i can suggest the following, up to you which you do offcourse:

firstly wanna point out if your a previous traktor user, there used to be a subfolder option but it seems to have been taken out!

- use drag and drop method, works quite well and is good and fast while you browse folders that your audio is in, this offcourse relies on how organised your music is!

- add each sub folder to your folder list, quite simple, also relies on how organised your music is, as to how many folders you need to add!

- whether your on pc or mac, install or use itunes, as traktor has a built in function to import and view an itunes library, so maybe do your external playlisting that way!

there are other options but i could go on and on really, so see how you go with these!

good luck

- use drag and drop method, works quite well and is good and fast while you browse folders that your audio is in, this offcourse relies on how organised your music is!

Hmm, I can't seem to see any of my audio files when browsing. Does Traktor not work well with mp3s? I can browse all of the folders fine but there are no tracks in them =(

- whether your on pc or mac, install or use itunes, as traktor has a built in function to import and view an itunes library, so maybe do your external playlisting that way!

Just tried this and it only added about 100 tracks or so, another 12K to go =(.

It seems like Traktor isn't recognizing any of my tracks?

Thanks for your help m8, i hope we can figure this out.

well i havent tried a great deal of formats with traktor, but i havent had any prob with mp3, how are they encoded, cdr or vbr???

also i do remember i have had some probs with mp3 and traktor in the past but not with 3, although i havent ruled 3 out as not doing it yet, but its only with a few files of mine, and i havent worked out whether its the metadata with them, the track length at the start is corrupt or what, its kind of something i just didnt bother with at the time too much!

this could be your issue, but sounds like its on a larger scale with you, so id be looking at the encoding, and maybe even file permissions of the folders in question, but even on read only traktor should see the files so...

leave it with me and ill have a play, unless someone beats us to it :grinning:

ive just found this too, if there was mp3 issues, im pretty sure they would highlight them...

Supported File Types

although this document may have not been updated in a while, or bugs may have been found, id try the native instruments forum, some change someone has experienced same issue as you!

either way if you do work it out, please post it and let us know!

Ah, all of my music folders are set to "read only", which isn't a problem for any other music program (Ableton 7, SAM4, iTunes, Foobar, Winamp, VirtualDJ), but it is a problem for Traktor 3. I changed the folders (and also applied change to all subfolders) and unset "Read Only". The files are now importing correctly and the ID3 tags are being read.

Thanks for the help!

Ah, all of my music folders are set to "read only", which isn't a problem for any other music program (Ableton 7, SAM4, iTunes, Foobar, Winamp, VirtualDJ), but it is a problem for Traktor 3. I changed the folders (and also applied change to all subfolders) and unset "Read Only". The files are now importing correctly and the ID3 tags are being read.

Thanks for the help!

yeah no prob, i think having the files as 'read & write' has not always been needed, i could be wrong but mighave started when they introduced 'striping' of the track being added to the file etc!

Glad that it was something simple that fixed it!

Good luck with the rest of your Traktor discovery :grinning:

Back