IBIZA AFTER HOURS CLUBS TO BE AXED ?

Djs-Only

Registered
Reaction score
Ibiza after hours clubs to be axed under new laws cracking down on drugs and crime. The move will come to a blow to the thousands of of clubbers who head there every summer to party round the clock.
Authorities want clubs to shut down between 6am & 6pm after seen 720 arrests for drug offenses last year.

The daily star uk 08.01.08 :yikes: What's your thoughts ?

Closing clubs between 6am and 6pm is a good idea. raving should be in the night anyway. When clubs are open for 24 hours a day it automatically attracts drug people. People who wants to keep dancing even during the day because they're on hard drugs...

Anyway everyone knows drugs is part of the dance scene :lol:

Last edited:
absolutely agree with having some "closed' time :)

ibiza has always been known for its 24hr clubbing.i don't think it will make any difference closing them.there is always going to be drugs not just in ibiza but in all clubs, in all countries xDx:dancing:

Ibiza after hours clubs to be axed under new laws cracking down on drugs and crime. The move will come to a blow to the thousands of of clubbers who head there every summer to party round the clock.
Authorities want clubs to shut down between 6am & 6pm after seen 720 arrests for drug offenses last year.

The daily star uk 08.01.08 :yikes: What's your thoughts ?

would be interesting to know what time these arests took place, if the majority took place for disorderly behavior for example between 6am-6pm then there is a valid argument, if they're being sold outside the club around the island, its not the clubs fault. maybe proper searches should be carried out on entry. you're never gonna stop the drug scene though unfortunately, there will always be someone trying to make a fast buck selling this stuff. from experience though, a natural high is much more pleasurable. and i don't understand the beer louts that get drunk and don't remember anything....whats the point in going if you dont have your memories to come back with lol

who hasn't paid their bribes on time eh??

quite a predictable move after fining clubs (DC10, Amnesia and Bora Bora) and closing them down for a couple of months last year because of alledged drug offences.
the old law of having only to close down for one hour in order to open again and made the white island famous is now under deconstruction.
a shame as it would include Space as well which isn't 'after hours' as such but hosts daytime parties.
the new scheme would threaten a lot of daytime venues as well that play music and have ppl get up and dance, like Cafe del Mar to name the most prominent but which aren't clubs technically.

then, the island has clubs that each hold thousands of people so a normal weekend night shifts about 20k+ peeps (prolly way more) so the over 700 arrests could be made easily in one night but that figure over the whole season....come on.
the numbers don't add up anyway, last year it was over 400 arrests just during the opening parties weekend.

Edit:
what about (the legal) alcohol, is it okay to get pissed on the beach at 10am?

Last edited:
Agreee with 90 degrees on the bribe thing!!

Just add my grain of sand and irony:
Sorry to desagree but Space is actually "THE" afterhours Ibiza club!! No doubt about it. It might not call itself that way, but worldwide clubbers and Ibiza regulars know it and use it that way!!
But that's not the issue here!!
Would the closing of afterhours clubs solve the drugs related problem in Eivissa?
**** no!!!
But it would certainly help in "hidding" the drug activity that reign in the island, at least during day time. Because that is the all issue here!!
"The new government in Ibiza wants to take a stand. They want to show publicly that they do not support a techno music listening – hippy - drug driven economy. They want to promote the island as a travel destination for all the cheery families on holiday from the UK and Germany. So...easy solution? Blame the clubs! Are the clubs to blame? NO - but they are an easy target and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to bust a club with a few Guardia Civil than it is properly implement drug policy or control boarders.
Ibiza politicians know very well that to shut down the clubs is economic suicide. Tourism and the clubs are the fuel for that economy and have put that tiny island in the middle of the Mediterranean on the map.
But then again, the money is in the hands of very few...a LOT of money in the hangs of very few - SO...I wouldn't doubt it if those few (aka Disco Mafia) gave the Guardia Civil a few thousand euros and season passes to their club in exchange for a clever "drug bust." which led to Amnesia, Bora Bora y el DC10 closing!!
An d now they wanna make sure that those happy families can enjoy the island and its beaches in peace during the day!! So they close down afterhours clubs in an attempt to "clean" the streets during day time!!
Clubbers welcome... Yes... but only during night time!!
And regarding drug itself that I have (and still am on a very punctual rythm nowadays) enjoyed quite a lot, it is true that the spanish government is getting hard on it!! But again, it is pure publicity. I leave in a small town down the Alicante coast and I actually have 4 or 5 of the most famous Makara clubs on the coast (hard core bangger shit heads). And U can believe me that if the police wanted to finish with drugs issues, the only thing they would have to do is to go and arrest all those 18-ish years old kids that are up to their neck with 5 sorts of drugs (pot, cocaine, X, liquid and other stuff) every WE and close down those places that every body know perfectly well!! Do they do it!! Of course not, cause the police themself were/are regular at those places, and if not, they are too scared to have to bust their own kids!!!
Sorry for the lenght of this post but......

My turn:

Personally, I would go for the whole "close @6am-6pm" but you have to realize that drugs will be anywhere and everywhere at anytime. Now, because Ibiza (or Eivissa, which I know it as) is a destination place that is known for massive clubs and all, it is something that you have to think about on both sides of the coin.

Personally, I would not have a club that is open from 6am till, whatever. Clubs do have to close down for a while to restock, keep count of inventory and money, and, give people a chance to recuperate, employees too. having a club open at 6am only brings like, drunks and all. I know this because there was this hole in the wall place in town that opened up at like, 7am serving liquor. Damn. I love a drink but that's WAY too early.

Drugs are going to be everywhere. That's just the way it is. I do want to know what time these arrests were made.

Shutting down the clubs all together will have the island in ruins. Not everyone who goes to these clubs are drunks or drug addicts. There are some people that do love the scene and the music.

I would like to hear what comes from all of this.

I do know that eventually, I would to travel there and I hope that by that time, the clubs will still be open.

Abominus
:icecream:

Closing clubs between 6am and 6pm is a good idea. raving should be in the night anyway. When clubs are open for 24 hours a day it automatically attracts drug people. People who wants to keep dancing even during the day because they're on hard drugs...

Anyway everyone knows drugs is part of the dance scene :lol:

*******People who wants to keep dancing even during the day because they're on hard drugs...****************

My point exactly.:grinning:

I think some are mounting the horse the wrong way.
The clubs opened like that because it was allowed, people got chucked out for an hour only to go back in, it's not like the whole clientèle changes, still, there are people who don't want to go clubbing at night but will go during daytime.
Dependent on venue you have a pool and a large open air area and can get a tan as well.
Stock taking in times of computers is not that hard (and they are stocked well!!), shifts changed and toilets cleaned quickly. An industry that generates megabucks and charges up to 60 euros (Manumission anyone?!) for entry and from 8 euro upwards for drinks isn't too bad equipped.
Also I'd rather have the drunks and druggies in a contained club than on the beach, which was and will be the alternative, people won't change because of that.

As Franz pointed out this exercise is simply a clean sweep a la greek Aiya Napa though the Spaniards got it wrong too, the families they're aiming for rather go for another bigger Balearic Island or the Costas on the penninsula.
So it may be for image though commercially it will be a loss, I don't need a calculator to figure what gives more turnover and tax income, 5 ice cream cones for the family for 2 euros each or 3 vodka Red Bull for 18 euros a pop for the daytime clubbers.
Also I wonder who will rent the expensive villas in the hills if not the DJs and associates.

If they want anything to change it would be the island as a whole, the drug thing is just an excuse and Spaniards are fairly easy going in their modes of drug consumption, many times i got the sweet smell of a porro floating over my stretch of beach.

@Franz, the reason I said Space isn't 'after hours' as such was simply for the reason that they made dayclubbing a 'new' concept, afaik because of restrictions regarding noise during night time (maybe wrong though)
like Alicante btw, worked a bit in the Ciudad de la Luz, best studios in Europe at the moment.

@Franz, the reason I said Space isn't 'after hours' as such was simply for the reason that they made dayclubbing a 'new' concept, afaik because of restrictions regarding noise during night time (maybe wrong though)
like Alicante btw, worked a bit in the Ciudad de la Luz, best studios in Europe at the moment.

No worries mate!!:grinning::hug:Very nice indeed Ciudad de la Luz, eventhough it's becoming a financial disaster, the instalation themself are state of the art!!

I was there over 16 days during July and August.
The inside info is that the island "mafia" were not too happy with some of the clubs - see names above and got the police to do their work for them.
The issue that was used to close them was relating to outstanding fines from the previous year and certain other requirements which were actioned immediately. Needless to say, it cost the clubs a packet, especially when you consider that they still needed to pay the fees while closed, to some of the owners of the Brands - not that my heart bleeds for them considering the prices they charge.
If the number 700 odd is correct then it is a drop in the ocean in terms of clubbers on one big night at one of the major clubs.
It essentially consisted of the police/guarda waiting just down the road from the club and pulling over some cars at random. Needless to say if you were pulled over and you were dumb enough not to have been clean, you got arrested.
More of a hassle factor than a real clampdown.

who in their right mind wants to party all day and all night? *sarcasm* ha ha ha! well you can never stop people from getting/taking drugs at a party. if they don't take them at the club, they will probbably take them before they get in. you can't stop it. you can only prevent more from getting in. proper searches would be a good solution but closing down a business? the clubs will be losing their money and who knows, it might be forced to shut down? i've never been to ibiza *yet* but i will be going this summer! can't wait to go clubbing there!

Back