My Own Definition of Trance

Tarek

Registered
Reaction score
This is what is written on Wikipedia:

"Trance is a style of electronic dance music that developed in the 1990s. Trance music is generally characterized by a tempo of between 130 and 155 BPM, short melodic synthesizer phrases, and a musical form that builds up and down throughout a track. Trance can be understood as a combination of many forms of electronic music such as ambient, techno, and house."

That's the technical definition.

Now,when you are listening to a really touching uplifting song, you don't think of this. You don't think: "Man this song is great..running on 145 bpm..10 years old..etc"

When you listen to a really amazing song, like Pandora, or Primogeniture, or one of DJ Revox's comp no. 18 (Lawl! My personal fav so far), you don't even THINK. It's all about the feeling. When I started listening to trance and techno around 8 years ago (yeah I was just a kid), it was all about D-Devils, Warp Brothers..the hardcore dance beats..then it evolved to Tiesto, Armin with their hard beats mixed with mid parts filled with amazing pads and strings and keyboard.I lived for those mid parts where the song would go extremely calm and dish out some heart-racing melody...

After a while I started finding the prospective producers and listening to their copyleft tracks. I loved it all at the time. Trance was my haven, my own personal world.

Now, when I saw afterhours, it naturally piqued my curiosity. I was already thrilled to find a stream link on it.So I started listening to it, slowly, giving the current track a chance. Angel Ace was playing at the time..I think it was XXVII. I was gaming a bit at the same time and then all of the sudden a breathtaking piano solo came on and I just stopped.

I closed everything except that music. I started shivering. It was so beautiful. I don't know how to describe the feeling when you discover your genre like this. There are no words for it. It's more than euphoria.More than magical. I..felt like crying out of joy or something.

Call me a freak..or even a wierdo, but hey, isn't this what it's all about? :)

I then starting digging up other shows from other Deejays like Aurosonic and Brandt and Marcus Shcossow, with the same results: Ate em up :p

All I have to say is ..because of you guys at afterhours, you amazing deejays and producers, I don't think I would have unlocked that special sudden calm and sad/happy joy.

Thank you AfterHours.

Last edited:
Hi Tarek!

I absolutely agree with you :) When I read the offical definition of trance I felt the same like you. Yes, trance is not the music between 130 and 155 bpm :lol: it's a little bit more :)
You wrote a very good sentence: "Trance was my haven, my own personal world."
This is trance :yes:

Ákos :iagree:

Haha it's funny cause I got the impression people read this and thought: "Yeah..let's keep away from this guy..maybe we can subtly tell him to increase the medication"

Haha it's funny cause I got the impression people read this and thought: "Yeah..let's keep away from this guy..maybe we can subtly tell him to increase the medication"

haha good one :b
no I feel the same way.. trance can't be described, you've gotta experience it.. :)

Back