New to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edvard

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, im really new to this page and this music. Now i will try to mix my own music, my mother will help me with the costs so i hope i get OK equipment to start with. Maybe you can help some. First of all. What do i need? Ive got FL studio. A friend bought it for me as a present.:rolleyes:

MVH
/
edvard

Sup everyone, im am new to this aswell and would like to know what equipment i would need to mix tunes.

thx

2 turntables & a microphone :p

However vinyl is getting pretty old school these days. A lot of people are using CDJ's or just their laptops.

Do you want to just mix tunes? Or mix/create/produce?

Thanks for the reply.

I would only like to mix music I already have

In that case - just to mix what you already have...the cheapest way is to use a software mixing program such as Abelton Live or Virtual DJ. This of course also has a few limitations. Also the "hardcore" live DJ's tend to "frown" upon it because using software mixing techniques is still not properly accepted by the DJ community.

It is becoming more mainstream these days with some major names using Abelton Live to do live performances - however the diehard vinyl DJ's still tend to snub their nose at digital mixing.

However if you wanted to go hardware - you could get a set of second hand CDJ's off ebay or maybe from your local classifies. This can (and probably) does cost more than software - however it will let you mix with your hands - and will also give you the skill to walk into a club and start mixing with their gear.

Because lets face it...watching your favourite DJ mix it up in Abelton Live, is about as exciting as watching someone check their email.

ok, i want to creeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaateeeeeeeee my own music lolz :itsme:

I don't want to be a pain, or put you down, but you should give it some thought. I mean, a lot of people think it's fun to mix, play at clubs, and create live sets. In fact, it involves a lot of effort and time. And it can get very expansive. A lot of people that I have met before would simply get fired up about becoming a DJ, and about the music, but drop it after about six months. I'm not saying that you will, I'm just saying that you should consider it. I'd personally suggest that you try software mixing, and if you know some friends with equipment, ask them to give some lessons. Try it on their equipment (if they let you) and see for yourself if you REALLY like it.

If you do, you have a variety of different options to choose from for equipment. Each style is different, it has it's own cons and pros. You need to find which style appeals to you more. There's digital mixing, there's turntables, CD decks, and even a mix between hardware and software. The best way to approach it is to play around with every style for a bit and determine which one you like more.

I started with software mixing a couple years back. I liked it at first, but the more I got into the music, and the more I learned about the art of DJ'ing, I moved away from it. Around that time, my other buddy got some low-end equipment, and I got to play around with his belt-driven Stanton's. Yes, you heard me right. :p (Man, the number of times he replaced those belts...) Anyways, then as the time passed, he got better equipment, and I got to play around with it. So I got a taste of what I like and what I don't.

I personally found that I liked a mix between hardware and software. I find that vinyls get too expansive these days. And keeping up with the latest tunes could get ugly; you'd develop the "black crack" addiction. My buddy shelled out more than $1,500.00 for his vinyls, which is probably around how much his equipment cost all together, and he got through some channels. (with large discounts.) This is why I am leaning towards: Final Scratch 2.0. Google it. Although I've gotten some mixed reports about it. Anyways! In short, to answer your question, play around with software, try out mixing with turntables, CD decks, or whatever. Once you get a taste of what you like, by then you will know what you'd need to obtain to be able to DJ.

EDIT: Although, if you feel the passion burning within you to spin, listen to what DreaMension has said. Get some second hand equipment from ebay. :)

... Because lets face it...watching your favourite DJ mix it up in Abelton Live, is about as exciting as watching someone check their email. ...
I couldn't agree any less.

Last edited:
i would suggest a pair of cheap direct drives ( the numarks would be more than enough)
then you get an ok 2 channel mixer with 3 EQs, then to top it off you get M-audio torq

this shouldnt cost you more than 650$
and this is just the pure basics, talk to me on MSN or AIM if you need help
ive used all the DVS systems and ill help u out

ok, i want to creeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaateeeeeeeee my own music lolz :itsme:

Robbie should jump in here. I was just talking to him about this the other day. I think he's taking a music production course.

My advice to the OP, is to go to school to learn this if you haven't done any audio production or mixing before. It's a bit easier for us DJ's to jump into something like creating your own music, but it's another if you have no idea where to start. Even as a DJ it's one hell of a learning curve. Try taking a college course on music production before you start.

Cheers,

Like a few people have said, start with software. It will help you understadn the basic idea and than make the jump to equipment, or you can just go right into equipment ;) lol. If you do, CDJ's are definitely the route to go. 200's would be the best to start out with, as they are low in cost and still have the 0.02% tempo adjust. Id recommend staying away from vinyls, theyll cost you a fortune.

As far as production goes, Im just getting into it myself and like most people will tell you, FL is the easiest program to learn and therefore best for beginners. Im using it and have definitely learned a lot since I started. But, if you can get someone to teach you or perhaps even take a course part time or something, you will learn far more and a lot quicker than trying it on your own.

Boy you guys are great. I'm, as a you may know, a newb aswell.
I have age on my side, and have a lot of music in my head from the last 30 years.
I have started playing with Virtual DJ, it a great start, it can give you the basic abilities.
But as it was said, take some training, get a job at a radio station, There are many other ways to get introduced into the scene.
There are many different software applications.

Apletons is high end requires a lot of basic knowledge. FL Studio is another authoring tool, again, high end.

This is what I have started out with, VDJ, FL Studio, plus a good sound card, and I have an Oxygen8 Midi controller.

Now here is something important: can you play a piano, can you read music, if you can't, learn.

The residents here have a lot of skill, and I am years away from anything these guys can lay down. But I'm doing it because I love the EDM, I like to dance, and the music motivates me.

DreamemnsioN, amoung others, has his mixes posted on his site, download a couple and listen to how the tracks transition. Try to do that yourself. Its not as easy as it sounds.

great posts guys, I think I might give abelton a try if they have a demo...

Reading some of the stuff here, i wanted to share a bit of my small experience. I started out with Atomix wayyy back when they first started, then I got 2 cdj 100s and a mixer, played around and learned it all. But a couple of months ago I bought Ableton and learned it, and I have to say the stuff you can do with it is sublime, you can never dream of doing that stuff with that quality on the decks.

My point is, software mixing is every bit as good as hardware. For the most part people dont give a damn how you mix, they dont care if ur even using an ipod, id say where im from 50% of the crowd are only in it for the music and to have a good time. Its all about what you can deliver as an artist, how you place tracks together, your innovation in the mix. Alot of Ableton djs now , like John Digweed, use layering of tracks, where 2 tracks will be playing simultanously. Mixing is taking the next step with software, its a big shift towards more innovative and creative mixing.

I have to say though, whenever im gigin in clubs these days I always carry a bag with around 10cds with me, just in case the laptop crashes, I would have one of the cds in the player and fast shift to it. Because after all software is software and it may crash.

I would suggest that if your seriously interested in becoming a DJ .. consider composing your own music aswell.

It is harder to find a DJ/Producer rather than just a DJ.

Stay away from mixing software .... go straight hardware. You can get yourself a brand new DJ starter kit for around 500 bux + anywhere nowadays. But if you have the cash to spend ... CDJ's 1000 with Tech 12's and a nice Korg mixer with the kaos pad serves nice :)

I will tell you this:

I have always loved music and I have always wanted to be involved in IT. Somehow, someway, instead of just going to a club and dancing to it.

I am a photographer for some DJs here in Tampa and I am around it all of the time. Everyone around me wants to be a DJ. Just because you have 1000s of cds does not mean that you can DJ. Some people have these huge aspirations of being like Tiesto and although it is cool to dream about the crowds, light shows and all, you have to realize that DJing is very hard. It can be fun, but it is hard.

The hours. The drugs (if you are into that) the drinking, the girls and let me tell you, girls and all of that mess may seem cool but it can get you in problems. I see it EVERY NIGHT. When you are a DJ, a bona fide DJ, girls will scram to you and if you have a steady girl, man, I say, it gets guys in problems.. It's like being in a band. Also, you have to deal with shady ass people. Money going missing. Cds/Lps going missing. It's a crazy scene. It can be fun, but it can be crazy. I can tell you SO many stories dude. Seriously. Not only that but you can be spinning at one place and everything's cool and the next night you are out of a job because the management wants Rap/Top 40 in the club. (The tale of our city):p

That is why I want to produce. I am not so BIG into DJing even though I will have to learn it someday and that is fine.

As far as equipment and what to mix in and all, I say start with some turntables. If you cannot go the brand new route, then go to the classifieds and get some used ones, even if you have to use belt driven ones. That's how my buddy started, using belted tables, mixing on his knees on his coffee table and now he is pretty big around these parts. I say that no matter what software is out there, use the hardware, the tables, the cd players and all of that. It will pay off.

If you want more advice, you can go to judgejules.net and check his his INFAMOUS Q&A. That guy answers every email. Want to know how I know? I talk to him every so often and it takes him 1-2 days to email me back. Cool ass dude.

If you have any questions, contact me. I will be glad to help you out:)

From Tampa, Florida,

Abominus
:music:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back