Rank1 vs Jochem Miller - And then

Laan

AH.FM's Party Beast
Staff member
Reaction score
Rank1 vs Jochem Miller - And then - Original mix

I love this tune, especially the original mix? what about you?

One of the worst release i heard this year. Truly dreadful.

Dreadful is what I call the typical ASOT generic uplift trance or the annual tune of the year with trashy pop vocals.

I give a thumps up to this release solely on the fact that it was creative, easy to dance to, and obviously work went into this (more than what you hear from Kandi style uplift, no offense to him). With so much shit being released these days, and hundreds of producers getting their releases out there whether they are any good or not, it really stands out when something with a unique idea and strong production comes out. Calling it trance would be a stretch even by today's standards, and personally I'm not interested in this track, but its creative and well-produced.

Edit: And yes, the original is the one to look at.

Last edited:
Dreadful is what I call the typical ASOT generic uplift trance or the annual tune of the year with trashy pop vocals.

I give a thumps up to this release solely on the fact that it was creative, easy to dance to, and obviously work went into this (more than what you hear from Kandi style uplift, no offense to him). With so much shit being released these days, and hundreds of producers getting their releases out there whether they are any good or not, it really stands out when something with a unique idea and strong production comes out. Calling it trance would be a stretch even by today's standards, and personally I'm not interested in this track, but its creative and well-produced.

Edit: And yes, the original is the one to look at.

It's not creative at all... I don't hear any work went into it.. Just crappy electro riff repeating. Whole trackis just one big unoriginal dull loop..

First you say Thrill was uncreative. Now you say this is uncreative? It has such a unique lead synth, a nice bassline with synths peppered all over that sound nice together, and its pretty driving and energetic!.

Btw lots of people mistakened this track as one on Armin's new album, there were several youtube videos IDing it as his

First you say Thrill was uncreative. Now you say this is uncreative? It has such a unique lead synth, a nice bassline with synths peppered all over that sound nice together, and its pretty driving and energetic!.

Btw lots of people mistakened this track as one on Armin's new album, there were several youtube videos IDing it as his

This track lacks creativity.. Basically a percussion on a simple ear bleeding riff.. Nothing really to like in this dull structure, no real melody, no real breakdown, no pads, sounds like they spent 2 hours on this garbage. You say Daniel Kandi is less creative, you must never heard one of his track then or you must be really deaf. Daniel Kandi tracks simply have a lot more to offer.

Mistaken this as Armin? A lot of noobs on Youtube then... :lol: :lolz:

It's your opinion Distant, you talk like it's a fact, I'm sure many people like this tune, oh by the way. I already knew You wouldn't like this tune before posting. It's a too bad you don't have any experiences on the floor :(

It's your opinion Distant, you talk like it's a fact, I'm sure many people like this tune, oh by the way. I already knew You wouldn't like this tune before posting. It's a too bad you don't have any experiences on the floor :(

It's to bad all the clubs here play crappy house music... No trance like where you live.. :p

It's to bad all the clubs here play crappy house music... No trance like where you live.. :p

Clubs here don't play trance either. Only when organizations organize a party in clubs, next to that we have alot of sweet events ya :)

Not my kind of tune. I want the old Rank1 back! :cry:

This track lacks creativity.. Basically a percussion on a simple ear bleeding riff.. Nothing really to like in this dull structure, no real melody, no real breakdown, no pads, sounds like they spent 2 hours on this garbage. You say Daniel Kandi is less creative, you must never heard one of his track then or you must be really deaf. Daniel Kandi tracks simply have a lot more to offer.

Mistaken this as Armin? A lot of noobs on Youtube then... :lol: :lolz:

[youtube]IT0TK19cqLc[/youtube]

I'm not deaf, I can easily hear how every single Kandi production uses the same synths, the same drum track, and just changes the melody and stamps on the "trance" tag onto something that's far from hypnotic or entrancing. The typical Kandi track consists of a hard kick with high hats and an anjuna style bassline that repeats for about 2 minutes (sometimes more)...and every 10 seconds or so, an element is added, to make it seem as though that area isn't filler, although it really is. Often some piano-like melody goes on above the track, but that too repeats for several minutes (and its not good repetition like Push - Strange World)...until there's the typical generic uplift breakdown (begins-breakdown-buildup-climax-breakdown formula). Then some supersaw comes in and everyone thinks its so beautiful and all. This supersaw starts out quiet, and then gradually increases in volume....the drum track comes in eventually, and when the climax is reached there's a kickroll or snareroll and the kick starts and it climaxes. Regardless of whether this is trance (that debate is for another time and place), there's absolutely no creativity when this formula is used over and over. Especially with the same synths, and not just with Kandi himself - with every uplift producer out there. Post '98 trance was mostly uplift until a few years ago when we started seeing a lot of house influence - I believe that people realized that the same formula can only be overused (imo, abused) for so long without every track sounding like every other track. I wish trance would go back to the pre '98 sound (or better yet, pre '95, when there really were no "rules" on anything, and producers were free to do whatever they wanted - from acidic tracks with almost a breakbeat like Red Herring to spacey tracks like Vernon's Wonderland), but I like the way modern trance is evolving cause tracks sound original, creative, and different from one another....First State's Falling sounds totally different and creative than Rank 1's Life Less Ordinary or Sander van Doorn's Riff).

Now I know I made some strong insults to what I'm guessing is your favorite style, but lets keep this debate about the topic and not as a flame war (i.e. not about my deafness), ok? :)

Last edited:
[youtube]IT0TK19cqLc[/youtube]

I'm not deaf, I can easily hear how every single Kandi production uses the same synths, the same drum track, and just changes the melody and stamps on the "trance" tag onto something that's far from hypnotic or entrancing. The typical Kandi track consists of a hard kick with high hats and an anjuna style bassline that repeats for about 2 minutes (sometimes more)...and every 10 seconds or so, an element is added, to make it seem as though that area isn't filler, although it really is. Often some piano-like melody goes on above the track, but that too repeats for several minutes (and its not good repetition like Push - Strange World)...until there's the typical generic uplift breakdown (begins-breakdown-buildup-climax-breakdown formula). Then some supersaw comes in and everyone thinks its so beautiful and all. This supersaw starts out quiet, and then gradually increases in volume....the drum track comes in eventually, and when the climax is reached there's a kickroll or snareroll and the kick starts and it climaxes. Regardless of whether this is trance (that debate is for another time and place), there's absolutely no creativity when this formula is used over and over. Especially with the same synths, and not just with Kandi himself - with every uplift producer out there. Post '98 trance was mostly uplift until a few years ago when we started seeing a lot of house influence - I believe that people realized that the same formula can only be overused (imo, abused) for so long without every track sounding like every other track. I wish trance would go back to the pre '98 sound (or better yet, pre '95, when there really were no "rules" on anything, and producers were free to do whatever they wanted - from acidic tracks with almost a breakbeat like Red Herring to spacey tracks like Vernon's Wonderland), but I like the way modern trance is evolving cause tracks sound original, creative, and different from one another....First State's Falling sounds totally different and creative than Rank 1's Life Less Ordinary or Sander van Doorn's Riff).

Now I know I made some strong insults to what I'm guessing is your favorite style, but lets keep this debate about the topic and not as a flame war (i.e. not about my deafness), ok? :)

2 minutes > 8 seconds every elements = every trance tune structure.. its called a intro of the track.. it would be very hard to mix a track without it..

2 minutes > 8 seconds every elements = every trance tune structure.. its called a intro of the track..

DJs in the old days got along just fine. Maybe if it wasn't like that then everyone and their grandmother wouldn't be a DJ cause it would take some more skill to mix trance music.

Last edited:
DJs in the old days got along just fine. Maybe if it wasn't like that then everyone and their grandmother wouldn't be a DJ cause it would take some more skill to mix trance music.

What does hardcore and jumpstyle have to do with anything? Do you want to debate this or tell me to "stfu"?

older producer did the same not only new. it would be like every 8 secs though.. :mask: and newer tunes these days are every 32 secs :cat:

older producer did the same not only new. it would be like every 8 secs though.. :mask: and newer tunes these days are every 32 secs :cat:

meh... i think the differences are a lot more conspicuous than that

I agree with you xruntime that it's a creative production and that it is quite clear that alot of work has indeed gone into it. The main synth/lead sounds like a unique type of sound. But i'm not overly keen on it, but I guess that's just my taste!

Back