The Origins Of Trance

Abominus

Registered
Reaction score
I have always wondered about the TRUE origins of Trance/Progressive.

A lot of people seem to think that the foundations of Trance were layed down by The KLF's "3AM Eternal" and "What Time Is Love?"

What do you guys/girls think?

I really would love to hear/see how far this thread goes:hmmm:

Abominus

You can hardly narrow it down to one track or one artist, but if one person deserves credit above anyone else, it'd have to be Dr Robert Moog, inventor of the Moog synthesiser.

KLF were EDM pioneers, granted, but it's certainly unfair to say they paved the foundations for trance. All manner of other artists as well as the KLF were making "trancey" EDM in the 80's (eg 808 State, Coldcut, System 7 etc).

For me though it all began with the sounds coming out of Germany at the beginning of the 90's - Jam & Spoon, Dance 2 Trance, Westbam, Sven Vath, Cosmic Baby etc. For me they were the ones to bring us the 4/4 kickdrums, the emotive high synth lines, and the true soul of the genre we still see today :)

Some say India, and Goa Psy. Some say Jean Micheal Jarre ("Some" = AvB ;) ).

I also once saw a film (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7428851501542847413) that said that it originated from techno, only trance was the more flexible and deep variation on that.

I think today's trance is the result of a slow but still ongoing process, that involves many styles. I think it did start out from techno, but people wanted something more variating and melodious and flexible, which eventually became the trance sound of the beginning of the nineties. And then people started to implement more classical influences in the years 1995/1996 (Cygnus X - The Orange Theme is a good example of that). That resulted in the so-called 'golden years' 1998/1999 in which the sound changed quite a lot, and became something people had never heard before, a combination of techno and Enigma/Jean Micheal Jarre sounds, depth and drive implemented in one kind of music. If you start to talk about it any further than that point, "trance is/isn't dead" discussions start, and that's not what we want ;) So I advise people to stop at the end of the last millennium, people know that anyway :)

Last edited:
For me though it all began with the sounds coming out of Germany at the beginning of the 90's - Jam & Spoon, Dance 2 Trance, Westbam, Sven Vath, Cosmic Baby etc. For me they were the ones to bring us the 4/4 kickdrums, the emotive high synth lines, and the true soul of the genre we still see today :)

Don't forget Age Of Love :D (though Jam & Spoon might encompass that)

Don't forget Age Of Love :D (though Jam & Spoon might encompass that)

True enough - the Jam & Spoon "Watch Out For Stella" mix was the only one that mattered! :music:

I hear that Trance came from Psychedelic, I hear that Trance came from House, I hear that Trance came from Techno....
Trance came from Trance thats for all I care...No need to compare...

If anything from what it has evolved to now, I would have guessed it evolved simply from 80s music!:lol:

If anything from what it has evolved to now, I would have guessed it evolved simply from 80s music!:lol:

I AGREE ALOT OF TUNES WE HEARD IN 80,S WERE BIT TRANCY,TAKE CYNDI LAUPERS "TRUE COLOURS"FOR AN EXAMPLE.GREAT TUNE XDX:grinning:

I watched the whole thing of

Berliner Trance - Paul van Dyk german techno music love parade laurent garnier

today...coincidentally, someone revived this thread the day i looked at it

anyways, what i got from the video was that it was a fusion of house (melody, groove) and techno (repetitiveness and deepness)

anyways i recommend the video to all who have a half hour to waste, made me want to ditch Big Sky and all the commercial shit i have for the trancier music...whatever happened to the "trance" part of trance music

I watched the whole thing of

Berliner Trance - Paul van Dyk german techno music love parade laurent garnier

today...coincidentally, someone revived this thread the day i looked at it

anyways, what i got from the video was that it was a fusion of house (melody, groove) and techno (repetitiveness and deepness)

anyways i recommend the video to all who have a half hour to waste, made me want to ditch Big Sky and all the commercial shit i have for the trancier music...whatever happened to the "trance" part of trance music

i don't need to watch that video to ditch the cheese trance like Big Sky and Anthem, two name just two :lol:

thanks for the link :)

Jean Michel Jarre is THE MAN that brought electronic music into the main stream. He pioneered new sounds and methods in the late 70's, and even going as far back as the 1960's. Electronic music back then was an underground thing, and hardly even whispered in the mainstream. Nobody cared for it. It was all "rock" at that time. Beatles, Elvis etc.

If it wasn't for his Oxygene album in 1977, we'd all be drinking whiskey and headbanging around to guitars & drums.

Jean Michel Jarre was my first taste of electronic synthesized music. Oxygene and his later work Equinox are still some of my favourite tracks of all time. From JMJ's work, and his idea of creating music using electronic instruments, came the birth of electronic music in the 80's. This new sound, gave rise to 80's pop culture and disco evolved into "clubbing". As technology evolved and computers became more mainstream and accessible to the public - new ways to manipulate sound came out.

Dance music evolved from this - and so did the cross-breeding of sounds from other cultures & countries. This culmination of creativity exploded in the 1990's, with multitudes of genre's and sub-genre's appearing. In the early-mid 90's, computer loop based music (MOD, S3M, XM etc) became widely popular. Anybody at home with a i386 computer with a soundcard could now sequence their own music from pre-recorded loops.

Paul Oakenfold became the first "Superstar DJ", and became a pioneer of the modern trance & EDM scene. The late 90's saw the uprising of the "superclub", and Ibiza (Europe's playground). The late 90's was when trance (as we know it today) was born.

All of this, from a man, who in the 1960's & 1970's - saw that music could be made from more than just conventional instruments. And that my friends...is the TRUE root of not just trance music, but all electronic dance music today. JMJ is the person that brought synthesized music to the public.

Last edited:
Jean Michel Jarre is THE MAN that brought electronic music into the main stream.

lets not forget Vangelis - Pulstar, Antartica...just to mention a couple :music:

If it wasn't for his Oxygene album in 1977, we'd all be drinking whiskey and headbanging around to guitars & drums.

Since im taking a course on rhetoric (and logical fallacies), just want to point out:

20. HYPOTHESIS CONTRARY TO FACT: This fallacy consists of offering a poorly supported claim about what might have happened in the past or future if circumstances or conditions were other than they actually were or are. The fallacy also involves treating hypothetical situations as if they were fact.

example: If you had only tasted the stewed snails, I'm sure you would have liked them.

example: If Hitler had not invaded Russia and opened up two military fronts, the Nazis would surely have won the war.

im such a geek i know

Back