Trance Popularity

I've read most of these posts and agree with a lot of the people who commented. Sadly I can be considered a person that enjoys proggressive/prog trance/prog house more than trance and uplifting trance. This never use to be the case. I think that this is because I evolved and moved on to a music that is evolving faster than trance. Don't get my wrong, I still enjoy a nice Kandi tune, or a nice JoC track but lately people have become much more creative when it comes to progressive and prog house. Trance will always have its followers, because it is the perfect anthem, hands in the air, jumping around kind of music. But I think that unless the trance producers figure somethin out, we might be seeing less and less of it in the future :wow:

Exactly. Kandi and JoC style tracks are always the same, and they get copied...and it gets boring and repetitive. You have to find rare uplifting tracks like Deems - Tears Of Hope (Greg Downey Remix) or Super8 & Tab - Suru (Original Mix) in order to enjoy uplifting trance.

For me - the "golden era" of Trance was 1997-2001. Quench, Lost Tribe, Commander Tom, Paul Oakenfold (as Perfecto), Gatecrasher Blue, Man With No Name etc etc.

This is when trance dominated, and gave birth to the likes of Ibiza etc.

Trance has evolved and will continue to evolve. People go through stages and tastes change. But the genre is here to stay. Its like saying "rock music is dieing". Its not - its just evolving.

Trance ftw
AH.FM ftmfw

i don't like this "evolving" talk. evolution means change, and i don't mean to say that change is bad, but when something is changing, in the end you will have something different. this may be good or may be not, doesn't matter, the point is: it's something new, and you need a new name for it. the original hasn't changed or evolved.

it's this confusion and mixing up of styles, genres and the names for them that i have a problem with. if you go to listen to a trance dj, he should be playing trance then, because that's what you expected. if he's playing something else, he shouldn't call himself trance dj.

i don't like this "evolving" talk. evolution means change, and i don't mean to say that change is bad, but when something is changing, in the end you will have something different. this may be good or may be not, doesn't matter, the point is: it's something new, and you need a new name for it. the original hasn't changed or evolved.

it's this confusion and mixing up of styles, genres and the names for them that i have a problem with. if you go to listen to a trance dj, he should be playing trance then, because that's what you expected. if he's playing something else, he shouldn't call himself trance dj.

Music classification is screwed up, it always has been, and always will be. The guidlines of classicifcation are far too vague.

you don't see house djs spinning trance though, do you? or at least, if they do, ppl will say "oh this isn't house, it's trance."

I was reading through a facebook group for clubbing in my area (suffolk/uk), and the general feeling was that it needs a gatecrasher type event to spice things up a little from the normal run of the mill chart/party/garage/hip hop crap that is played ALL the time here. but to be honest, i can't see it happening. i think promoters are too scared to take a risk following a closure of a club due to numerous shootings and stabbings that took place for fear it will attract the 'wrong crowd' plus the people here are seemingly too stuck in their ways to try something other than the usual dross they get fed.

on a rare clubbing night about 8 months ago in my town, the only tracks that could be considered close to trance were PPK - Resurrection and Tiesto - Adagio For Strings, again tracks that people are familiar with having been fed it by mtv dance. you never hear a trance tune thats been produced in the last year or two. i left when they started playing party rubbish like timewarp, which is exactly where this area is stuck in.

i think this is how a promoter here works...

1. play the tracks to get the justin timberlake/mtv dance loving girls in
2. put on drinks deals to get the guys in (£1.50 a bottle all night etc etc)

1+2=£ a winning formula thats working, if its not broke, why fix it. business sense i guess.

now this is why i don't like clubbing in my town, because its full of drunken guys trying to get it on with any girl that seems interested or getting overly aggressive and causing fights. the atmosphere isnt that pleasing from my point of view.

however, everytime i have been to turnmills in london on a friday night its always been a pleasurable experience, because im surrounded by people that enjoy the music and thats what brought them to the club.....the music. i don't travel further than london that much, but places such as Sheffield, Coalville, Birmingham are the places i know generally have some form of trance event each month, there may well be more too, i just can't think of any more of the top of my head.

As for trance popularity on the whole, i find it hard to gauge personally, due to the fact that i wasnt really listening to trance consistantly enough (or any other edm for that matter) until 2003. however i believe the internet has made it much more accessible than it has been in the past. you would never hear a trance show every night on a major FM station in the UK primetime, whereas on the internet there is a whole host of shows and stations such as here that can fulfill peoples needs.

1+2=£ a winning formula thats working, if its not broke, why fix it. business sense i guess.

now this is why i don't like clubbing in my town, because its full of drunken guys trying to get it on with any girl that seems interested or getting overly aggressive and causing fights. the atmosphere isnt that pleasing from my point of view.
this sounds like you live in my home town :)

As for trance popularity on the whole, i find it hard to gauge personally, due to the fact that i wasnt really listening to trance consistantly enough (or any other edm for that matter) until 2003. however i believe the internet has made it much more accessible than it has been in the past. you would never hear a trance show every night on a major FM station in the UK primetime, whereas on the internet there is a whole host of shows and stations such as here that can fulfill peoples needs.
it's quite oppostite to the place where i live... so i think that's the why i'm not to keen on trance...
on FM radio there is a show every saturday evening/night hosted by Kalwi & Remi, they usually play quite a lot of trance and techtrance... the show also includes guestmixes from i.e. Blank & Jones, Judge Jules... and one of local clubs (Protector) play trance every saturday... so i think most people here know what trance is and i would say that trance here is as popular as house or electro...

In the UK Trance is pretty divded. In areas it's not really popular but then they are nights that are held in the country where it is massive. The trouble mainly is due to commercial pop records been labeled Trance by clueless radio stations and record labels. When you get silly complimations with the likes of DJ Sammy and Styles and Breeze included and then branded as a Trance album, people are taken in. This then makes Trance in some cases uncool to people and those vain enough to follow trends instead of actual music, ignore trance alltogether. With the current influx of labels like MOS releases pumping out cheese infested electro to the masses (again another genere suffering from commercial ruin as it is not real electro), most people think it's cool, so the vain masses follow suit.

At the end of the day though the top DJ in the world is a Trance DJ so it will always be still up there.

Agreed, if I mention the word 'trance' to anyone at work, they immediately think I'm into either the cheesy pop trance of DJ Sammy or I'm one of the 'Helter Skelter' crew :yucky: The fact is if they actually begin to listen to the stuff I play (progressive) they actually start to like it. Same goes with the more pure trance music too.

I used to get the MOS Annuals religiously every year for Christmas, however I stopped a few years back when all I could find on them was cheese. Then I started to get the ISOS instead, which is a WHOLE different ball game.

If trance is to be understood properly, then it needs to be embraced by the narrowminded who think all we listen to is Flip n Fill :p As I've already said, once they open their ears to what we play, they will soon find a whole new world of emotions :music:

Andy

At least you guys in the UK have some connection with EDM.

In America, trance is all but extinct, and other EDM genres aren't very popular.

I've managed to convert a few people though :D

If everyone actually heard one good trance song in their life, I'm sure many would continue with it, it's just that they are never exposed to it.

I was reading through a facebook group for clubbing in my area (suffolk/uk), and the general feeling was that it needs a gatecrasher type event to spice things up a little from the normal run of the mill chart/party/garage/hip hop crap that is played ALL the time here. but to be honest, i can't see it happening. i think promoters are too scared to take a risk following a closure of a club due to numerous shootings and stabbings that took place for fear it will attract the 'wrong crowd' plus the people here are seemingly too stuck in their ways to try something other than the usual dross they get fed.

on a rare clubbing night about 8 months ago in my town, the only tracks that could be considered close to trance were PPK - Resurrection and Tiesto - Adagio For Strings, again tracks that people are familiar with having been fed it by mtv dance. you never hear a trance tune thats been produced in the last year or two. i left when they started playing party rubbish like timewarp, which is exactly where this area is stuck in.

however, everytime i have been to turnmills in london on a friday night its always been a pleasurable experience, because im surrounded by people that enjoy the music and thats what brought them to the club.....the music. i don't travel further than london that much, but places such as Sheffield, Coalville, Birmingham are the places i know generally have some form of trance event each month, there may well be more too, i just can't think of any more of the top of my head.

That's how most nightclubs are. They are awful and I generally avoid them. The club "scene" (at least in my experience) usually consists of a bunch of guys looking to score, get drunk, and acting like fools, sprinkled with a few girls who like the attention of getting hit on all night. Guess it's good for their self esteem or something? Heh.

As far as the popularity of trance, it is hard to gage. The internet is so nice because it can cater to a smaller niche of listeners like us trance fans. Where you"ll like see nothing but hip-hop/pop crap in mainstream music because that's what the masses buy (sadly).

Most of my friends all trash me, saying "trance sucks". But that's the beauty of the internet. Where our music isn't "popular" enough to justify shelf space in most music stores, in cyberspace there is no shelf space to worry about. Our music is popular enough to generate a community such as this one, where people are banded together by one thing: the music. Not happy hour, cheap drink specials, or getting what's "hot" spoon fed to you by the radio and MTV.

But you"ll never see trance go mainstream and garner widespread acceptance and popularity like other genres unless it gets totally pop-ish (which is kind of happening already).

Edited because I needed to fix some typos :)

Last edited:
At least you guys in the UK have some connection with EDM.

In America, trance is all but extinct, and other EDM genres aren't very popular.

I've managed to convert a few people though :D

If everyone actually heard one good trance song in their life, I'm sure many would continue with it, it's just that they are never exposed to it.

So true...so true. Trance is generally unknown in the USA, and people trash it with regularity. I don't know why.

Where in the States are you located? I'm in California.

NJ atm, i'll be in philly soon

But you"ll never see trance go mainstream and garner widespread acceptance and popularity like other genres unless it gets totally pop-ish (which is kind of happening already).

Yeah, I agree, many artists seem to be motivated by the money, and in general trance has really been commercialized

Which is not really all that bad, but the music is getting crappier because of it (Big Sky aint trance, nor is Anthem, and plenty of other titles out there that have cheesey vocals or stupid melodies)

I'm happy with how trance is already.
Once something gets to popular, it becomes marketized and ruined .
I enjoy being one the few in my city of 1 million people (Ottawa,Canada) who actually knows what trance is.

I'm happy with how trance is already.
Once something gets to popular, it becomes marketized and ruined .
I enjoy being one the few in my city of 1 million people (Ottawa,Canada) who actually knows what trance is.

nice words, since your in ottawa, Afterhours is doing a GIG there with Dave Nadz from AH and bunch of other djs...

Club is called helsinki, Feb 28th
helsinki.ca

come check it out it will be massive

Well fta ever since I started this thread my views have changed considerably (and my listening style), so since gobrowns1 bumped it back up, I'll put my thoughts in

Once something gets to popular, it becomes marketized and ruined.

IMO that's already happened, I don't think modern trance stands up at all to the oldschool era (1990-1996)

A lot of trance is either too commercial/pop/cheese-like (Big Sky, Songless, No In Between) or too generic and no creativity (Tyas is by no means a cheese producer, but I find he needs more creativity) or is losing focus of why trance is called that

So I've moved on into other facets of edm, particulary goa, prog, techno, acid, ambient, and idm [and classic trance]

I mean so we dont have too much pure uplifting tunes and a lot of producers changed theirs style closer to house, cuz house production gives more money.

Im producer and I always did music for ppl, not for money. I like a nice melodies and thats reason why im trying to do uplifting trance. Im married to uplifting and i hope so i will do that for long time.

YOU ARE MY GOD :hug::hug:

:)

Absolutely Uplifting Trance is the best style/genre of music!!!!!!!
:wub::wub:

i really really really cant understand why people dont listen to trance.

i hear so much wank on the radio and through other peoples mp3 players and i honestly think they are missing out on sooooooo much!

Back