Vocal tracks i like

t4e

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, i am a vocal hater but..there are few exceptions and many have asked me what they are.

I didn't always hate vocals, its just recently that i developed a strong dislike for them, and that happened when all of a sudden pop met trance, and the whining took over...yes, some of the ones i like have been remixed from pop..but the problem is that at some point instead of remixing into trance the tracks sound exactly like pop.

IMO the vocals should not dominate the music, they should not BE the track, and the best example is The Thrillseekers feat. Fisher - The Last Time, if you take the vocals away you will notice there is nothing to that track, there is really no music in it but just a sound filler for repetitious lyrics, which makes it boring and cheesy.

The vocals should blend nicely into the track to create harmony.

INXS - Afterglow (Randy Boyer & Eric Tadla Mix) Pro Master
coast 2 coast feat le sal and pheonix-cut me
Dogzilla_-_Without You Original Mix
Dogzilla - Frozen
Keo Nozari - Close Enough (Noel Sanger Remix)
iiO – Rapture
iio – Kiss you
Coldplay – Clocks
Coldplay – Fix you
Gabriel & Dresden ft. Jan Burton - Dangerous Power
Kuffdam and Plant - The Ones We Loved (Dogzilla Remix)

New Generation Vocal Trance:
Alex M.O.R.P.H. & Woody Van Eyden feat. Michelle Citrin - Turn It On
Markus Schulz ft. Dauby - Perfect (Agnelli & Nelson Remix)

If you have any doubts of what i mean read my signature without misinterpreting what the message is.

As you will notice all but two are old tracks.

Last edited:
What I also notice is that they are all "vocal" tracks and not normal tracks that have afterwards just had vocals thrown onto them for the kids :) They also seem to have had more than half an hour spent on the actual "song-writing" side of things as well, which is always a bonus. There are a good number of vocal tunes out there that strike me as though they've been written on the back of a bus ticket whilst visiting the toilet at the studio.

I'm well aware there's a hierarchy of the kinds of vocal tunes, but I'm very much in the camp that believes that vocals should be used as a kind of extra instrument to compliment the tune. The lyrical side of things isn't as particularly important I don't think, so long as the voice is nice and sounds good :grinning:

It's definitely a fine line to walk - but when it works and works well, one perfect vocal tune can make up for 100 shitty ones in my view :music:

I'm a vocal lover....but I do agree with you two that too many tracks seem to be made in the toilet...

Of course there are some great exceptions....usually good vocal tracks keep good when in a Dub Mix..that's a good pointer of a vocal track quality...

I thought you liked Perfect too? :hug:

Yes, i am a vocal hater ...

since i also belong to this category, i must reply here as well :)

IMO the vocals should not dominate the music, they should not BE the track, and the best example is The Thrillseekers feat. Fisher - The Last Time, if you take the vocals away you will notice there is nothing to that track, there is really no music in it but just a sound filler for repetitious lyrics, which makes it boring and cheesy.

this is exactly my point when i say that "trance with vocals" isn't the same as "vocal trance". i like the former (well, some of it), but definitely not the latter. more specifically, i'm not even sure if something like "vocal trance" even exists in my book, because it contradicts my definition of what "trance" is (or should be).

now for the tracks... there is a bunch that i liked in my noob trance days. i could list them here now, but as a matter of fact i'm not sure if i really like them any more, as my taste has shifted quite a bit since then. or i should rather say "refined" instead of "shifted"... some of them i do still like, but that may just be because they're linked with some memories, and i'm not sure if i would still consider them as good if i would just discover them now. which is also why i won't list them here, as my opinion would be quite biased.

as for new tracks, i can just agree with what has been said already. i also don't dislike vocals per se, it's just the amount of neo-electropop-cheese-trance lately has just been overwhelming. looks like this is an additional, 4th direction that trance is diluting to these days, after we went through the electro, minimal and techno phases... but it's just that, a phase, it will pass, and good old real trance will never die :)

:hmmm:Why the lengthy explanation t4e?

My two vocal favs have got to be

Future Vision - Your Love
Vandall - Need to Feel Loved

Although my heart lies within the harder side of trance :clap:

I've always enjoyed female singers,
Natalie Merchant has to be my all time fav

Natalie Merchant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:bow:

:hmmm:Why the lengthy explanation t4e?

because even with my signature most people misinterpreted it and because there is a reason for my hatred and i want people to understand WHY... its never a case of "just because" :)

because even with my signature most people misinterpreted it and because there is a reason for my hatred and i want people to understand WHY... its never a case of "just because" :)
Ah! I see,kinda figured that was what was up!

Good thread btw!:)

Out of interest mate, would you consider Myon - Albion to be a vocal tune or not?

Just curious, because there are definitely vocals in it, but because they're played backwards you can't make sense of them. So does this class as a vocal or just another sound sample? :unsure:

^^i would say it is a vocal track even though you can't make out the lyrics, its the same as listening to a track that is sang in a foreign language...the thing that bothers me in the vocal tracks are the voices and Albion definitely has an annoying whiny sound to it.

I love vocal tunes :) Ofcourse there are also bad vocal tunes around but dancing & singing at the same time owns! :dancing:

Out of interest mate, would you consider Myon - Albion to be a vocal tune or not?

Just curious, because there are definitely vocals in it, but because they're played backwards you can't make sense of them. So does this class as a vocal or just another sound sample? :unsure:

Hmm It has vocals in it. So In fact it's a vocal tune. Aren't we talking about lyric tunes instead of vocal tunes in here then? :unsure:

Heya PPL

I didnt understand that whole shit discussion about Vocals or not.

Everybody prefers things that others do not. So to make a war of that is crazy, cause if you put all parties together in one room you have so many opinions like parties are in.

that some producer use the vocal meaning in the wrong way to earn money is okey...hey if i had to earn money with that i also will take these parts and make millions of bucks...

armins most selling Chooons are Vocal Chooons...is he therefore a bad guy to be dissed ? No he isnt cause hes still a great DJ, but he also wants to earn money as much as he can get.

so when we talk about those Vocal things we have to understand the idea behind to produce those CHEESE...

I like some vocal tracks alot, others i hate...but for that hate i cant say i hate all vocal tracks

so what i want to say is, that the whole discussion pro or contra vocals will never find an end causing on everybodys own understanding an opinion

just my 2 cents

@JayCan...the reason i started the thread is because ppl asked me what vocal tracks i like, since i do like a few.
we are not fighting or arguing, we are just expressing an opinion :p

and yes..."opinions are like as*holes, we all have one" :tongue:

^^i would say it is a vocal track even though you can't make out the lyrics, its the same as listening to a track that is sang in a foreign language...the thing that bothers me in the vocal tracks are the voices and Albion definitely has an annoying whiny sound to it.

I'd consider it a vocal tune in a way - you still end up trying to sing along with it when it's on (I try anyway :p) Played backwards its Andain - Beautiful Things. Clever stuff.

I don't really have a certain 'criteria' of whether I like a vocal tune or not. Some are cheesy and kinds of ruin a track, some are cheesy but do sometimes get away with it, and some just make a track. Personal taste in the end I guess. :)

Musical tastes will always be like this, you will love some things, and you will hate some things. But you'll never be able to stop the ones you hate from being created. That's what's so fantastic about music, millions upon millions of songs, there is something for everyone.

I know a vast number of people (shamefully) who love the cheesy vocal stuff over the quality stuff, I can't personally understand why, but that's their taste, I wouldn't want to try and take their music away from them, wouldn't that make me a nazi of sorts?

I'm going to start a social group for liberating people from their feelings of hatred, and spread some of the love!

Who's with me?

Musical tastes will always be like this, you will love some things, and you will hate some things. But you'll never be able to stop the ones you hate from being created. That's what's so fantastic about music, millions upon millions of songs, there is something for everyone.

I know a vast number of people (shamefully) who love the cheesy vocal stuff over the quality stuff, I can't personally understand why, but that's their taste, I wouldn't want to try and take their music away from them, wouldn't that make me a nazi of sorts?

I'm going to start a social group for liberating people from their feelings of hatred, and spread some of the love!

Who's with me?

haha:lol:

This whole thing goes to politics i guess

:hug:

Back