Who's job is harder? DJ's or Producer's

Whats harder to do?

• DJing

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Producing

Votes: 89 90.8%

• Total voters
i would say dj'ing ..u must have great skills to make something nice :)

i vote Producing but i think both works are hard,
cuz the producer tries to make good music and the dj's try to make people jump.
hop hop :super:

a dj's job is harder.........on the wallet.

no.comment ..but try to dj with records and tell me how good you are just with records and on the other had those machines mix for you not the dj... as you would do with records.......just my comment..the money that it cost to keep up with records is harder too....hahahahah....,.,.

Last edited:
personally i think its first the best thing to be a DJ and later become a producer since it gets easier as u get the hang of it with time and practice. of course creating and producing is pretty hard as it needs more than just a personal opinion on the track and all but once ur into it, ur gonna give it ur all and well produce some gd stuff, it all comes naturally people either have it in their blood to become a DJ and work with music altogether or just appreciate and listen

we have 2 questions here:

1- which is harder to learn: djing or producing?
Well of course producing...coz u always learn new stuff. It's on a constant development you have to catch up.

2- who's job is harder (as a career)?
Each one has its own difficulty. Producing needs time, patience, a strong will, & of course good interpretation of his feelings in the music.
Djing needs good performance & talent to win the crowd...mixes & track selection must be good

anyone can be a dj... it takes time, patience, and talent to be a producer.

SOOOOO Nicely put :)))) esspecialy since today we have more DJ's than old people in nursing homes :ee:, and since electronic music producers are all actually one man shows:
producers, studio engeneers, recording engeneers, mixers, cable guys etc.

I can have fun with good unmixed music, but no fun with BAD but really well mixed music?!? can i get an AMEN on that?!?

cheers
Toca

p.s. stop crying for vinyl bitches, and if u value soooo much your ability to beat mix vinyls i pitty you, cause it takes a week or two with some talent to get it learned.

YES i did mix vinyl it is "harder" (demands a bit more phisical skill) than mixing cd's, NO the cd dont mix by themselfes, Ableton does, and i see nothing wrong with that too, if someone will pay for that Ableton dj set shit, call me, so i can make money and get fully wasted in the process:))))
DRINKING DJ's and CO. ;)

Goran Toprek on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Goran Toprek - ReverbNation
Goran Toprek on Virb.com

producing is definitely harder. sometimes it takes me weeks to finish up a single track. remixing is still relatively 'easy' but creating a whole new original track is probably the hardest, especially if you're just starting out learning about production. on the other hand, i dont think anyone can be a DJ. it needs skill, talent, and practice as well.

Well, i think every good DJ's career started with some great productions :) You could be a very talented DJ with great mixing ability but if you don't have your own productions then you barely have any chance to be famous or well known DJ. A DJ needs something to stand out from the others and this could be a device to do it :smile1:

This is exactly what i was thinking. You can be a DJ, but if you really love your wokr and the music, i think that is not nessesary to be a producer cause you can make a good track of your inspiration, obviously without the quality of a producer

Producing deff'y

No question production is much harder. I think it takes alot of talent to make wicked tune and to release one after another.

well i am 18 years old, started djing 4 years ago, not very seriously till this year (with virtual dj and software at the beginnings) and producing since july 2009.

What i've found out is that EVERYONE can mix, of course it's not the same the dj who don't even known what it's beatmatching that the professional one, but even without beatmatching and only fading in/out at the end of the songs (like many djs do, sometimes i think they're using virtual dj with automix) the crowd can go nuts.

I don't find djing hard, the only hard part is that if you commit an error you'll need skills to repair it even without people noticeing it, but if you're good you shouldn't commit errors, and this is the only hard part, efficiency.

As for producing you have literally all the time on the world but still if you have no talent nor skills the track will be the same crap (or not) since the first minute.

I've found that i'm much better remixer than producer, i really look up some producers that are way far from me

I'm with you people who voted for producers. Anyone can learn the basics of DJing through practice, but how many can put together a track that sounds nothing like what's been done already (especially now)?

I suppose they can go retro and use elements like the classic high-hat sounds from the 90's. If everyone else who's going old school, then why can't Trance producers do the same?

hello all, just wanted some feedback on what you all think, who has a harder job, either being a DJ or having to Produce. Is there a choice? or are people just born with it?

all comments appreciated
The producer has the difficult job of making the live shows run smoothly, that the script is done and followed, without neglecting any sponsors. I explain this with taking an example of radio producer and DJ. They have a long and stressful job that is just as much work off the air, as it is on the air. The radio DJ is normally the person who plays all the music and reads only any sponsor promotions if needed, but they are the ones in the direct firing line. They have to use their voices to convey messages and sell products, but at the same time have to be understanding and sympathetic to the listeners, friendly and fun.

It's a funny old thing to compare this one. In a lot of ways DJing and Producing are very co-dependent and that's why most DJ's are now producers and a lot of producers take to DJing. It's natural to need to promote your own music as a producer and it's natural to want to compose your own music as a DJ. If nothing else curiosity gets the best of you and you at least find yourself trying it. DJ's and producers can't really exist without each other, because somebody has to make the music for DJ's to play and someone has to promote the music for producers to sell.

I've been DJing a lot longer than I've been producing, so I still find producing a lot harder and a lot more time consuming. However there are people that can produce great tracks very quickly and there are people who agonise for hours or days over DJ sets. I've seen a lot of talk of "anyone can mix" and "software does it all for you" and although software is better now, that kind of talk I find completely misguided and misses the nuances.

Back when you were playing live on turntables, you could turn up at clubs with horrendous lag on their sound systems, technical issues and all kinds of things to deal with. Needles might skip on you, or even Tiesto as I've seen happen and your perfect mix is in ruins. That's not easy to deal with. Of course technology has made the basics easier in that way, but now you're thinking more of harmonics and progression. You might be thinking "How can I surprise this crowd or my listeners and bring the energy up?" If you're playing live you might see the crowd react badly to certain tracks and realise you need to change the direction of your set. It should always be about providing the best experience for everyone who is hearing what you're playing and it takes an intelligence, thoughtfulness and skill to do that. I think stuff like that is underestimated.

Also underestimated are the skills of the very best technical DJ's. A good DJ has the ear to break his track up and realise what the bass, mid and treble adjustments will do to the track in the mix, possibly what different effects and now different structural changes might do too. That way instead of getting a bit of a messy sounding, but beat matched mix, you can get a smooth flowing perfect mix as well. All of this can become automatic in time, but it takes time and practice to develop that subconscious level of working, especially in a live setting with different sound setups facing you at every venue.

I find that if I want to just mix, I can put something together that'll work, but to get something I'm perfectly happy with, that I still find difficult and I know I could personally improve so much. There's always room for improvement and if your skill ends with letting a computer beat match for you, then you're not really a DJ or somebody who understands the real process of DJing in the slightest. Look at someone like Zabiela and his skills level in a live setting. There aren't many DJ's, producers or anyone else that can do what he can and that's because of his talent for DJing and his years of practice.

As for producing, well I do find it harder, because my experience level isn't the same. You can never learn enough, never understand enough and never really feel like you've made the best track you can. It's always evolving and you know in six months you'll know more than you do now and you'll wish you could have re-done that previous track, because you can hear every horrible part you feel is a mistake, even if someone else doesn't notice it.

Apart from learning the skills of sound design, synth programming and how to put a mixdown together, you also have to have an idea of how to compose melodies and create harmonies with atmosphere. This might be where the infinite possibilities of music composition might make it trump DJing for skill, because the great producers can produce with not only tight production, but also the melodic flair you'd expect from a classical composer. You always need original ideas and you need to create your own sound.

I'm sure the guys at the top level of both DJing and producing will tell you that both are hard and that if you're not challenging yourself, you're probably failing. I've rambled on long enough now, but I suppose I find it difficult to see DJing trivialised down to throwing a few tunes on and beat matching. It's almost the same as saying anyone can run the 100m. Running is a pretty simple process and a lot of us can do it. It's funny though, none of the rest of us are quite Usain Bolt or ever will be, because we just don't have either the talent, attributes or dedication for it.

Last edited:
Keeping to the scenario, the music production business is indeed offering ample opportunities to make big money.

Producing by far - it takes years to build up a reputation & your own 'sound' & 'style' as a producer - whereas i reckon it could take months to master DJing - espeically in trance,where its a lot more basic than other genres - of course there very talented DJ's out there who are capable of reading the mood of a crowd on a specific night and build the mood and atmosphere of a set - thats an art in itself.

But the bottom line is that producing requires a lot more creativity & hard work imo.

Both jobs are difficult but in different ways. And the one cant live without the other.

Back