Your Journey To Trance.

Congenix

Registered
Reaction score
Journey To Trance.

Just sommat I thought of to chat about: :)

Trance didn't just happen for me. I have kinda been on a journey that has bought me here today. So I am wondering how did you find Trance, or it find you?

Personally... well here's my little story:

I have always liked music. When I was a lot younger (in da 80's) I always preferred the music one could jump and dance around to. Even back then I wasn't into listening to lyrics. I just wanted to hear the sound. But it wasn't until I laid eyes and ears on the RUN DMC album 'Raising Hell' I really took any real notice of any music.

From Run DMC I soon progressed from RAP & HIP HOP to House, Rave, Techno etc.

Into the 90's and many a night was spent listening to Pete Tong or Danny Rampling on the radio. In time I was doing the dance scene and came across the likes of Sasha, John Digweed, Oakenfold, Carl Cox, Judge Jules & even Boy George.

Since I first heard it way back I have always had a fondness of Chicago House. At the time it seemed so very raw and like nothing I had ever heard. Another big sound that brought me down this route was 'Quadraphonia'. To this day I can remember walking into the club and hearing that for the first and just standing there with my jaw on the floor. It just blew me away.

Anyway the natural progression seem satisfied once I found Trance. It kinda grabs you by ya soul.... Heaven. :super:

Last edited:
Like Congenix my own journey into trance began by the listening to the likes of Pete Tong, Danny Rampling, Judge Jules and yes Boy George too in the late nineties and now I listen to trance everyday and play it too:wink::).

I had a similar progression actually - in the 80's I was mainly listening to the early hip-hop (far far far far far superior to any of the sh*te around now) and the electro-synth sounds of such artists as the Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, New Order, Erasure, etc etc.

From hip-hop I crossed over into the early acid-house and early "rave" type music. I too was a massive fan of Quadrophonia and still have their album on vinyl :music: I also loved the Italo-house sounds - Black Box, the 49ers etc. Black Box's "Dreamland" is still one of the all-time great EDM albums, as is "C.O.D.E.S." by the Bassheads, which came out around 1992.

In the early 90's I discovered the likes of Jam & Spoon, Dance2 Trance, Cosmic Baby, Energy 52, Sven Vath, and my early love affair with React Records helped me discover the sublime Paul van Dyk version of Humate - Love Stimulation back in 1993. This was the first time I ever saw PvD's name in print. I also started loving the more industrial, darker EDM sounds from Fluke, Eskimo's In Egypt, FSOL, and a band called Underworld that a mate recommended to me whom no-one had ever heard of - we went to see them live in early 1995 and there were about 150 of us there (still the best gig I've ever been to!)

Mid 90's I was still in love with the German sounds but also began to love the Goa trance sounds pioneered by Oakenford and Rampling over here. I think I bought every album that Dragonfly and Flying Rhino ever brought out! Robert Miles hit the scene around the same time with what was then known as "dream house". 1995 was also when Faithless were formed (though their first single Salva Mea is still far and away their best work) and as a massive Rollo fan from his early days I got quite obsessed there too.

As the 90's wore on, the likes of Sasha and BT came to prominence (BT's remix of Grace - Not Over Yet is a masterpiece and still, I think, possibly the best remix of all time) and I went through my stage of buying everything on Perfecto Records and worshipping at the alter of Oakey :bow:

By 1997 Chicane had arrived and with it I discovered Xtravaganza records, and through that, Agnelli & Nelson, Airscape etc. Then it was 1998 and on my 23rd birthday my friend asked me if I wanted to come to this wicked club called Gatecrasher where they played "that trancey stuff you like". I asked who was on, he said Paul van Dyk. I was sold! PvD dropped Humate - Love Stimulation as his second-to-last tune of the night and my life promptly changed forever.

Anyone who never saw Gatecrasher in 1998/99 probably wouldn't believe half the stuff that happened there. When I began going then, hardly anyone was dressed in what became the inimitable "Crasher Kid" style (though at first they called themselves "Shiny Kids") but the over-riding attraction of the place was the music, although the atmosphere is second to nothing else I've seen in a club before or since.

The 1999 DJ roster was quite hard to believe in today's climate of big events and massive DJ fees. Matt Hardwick and Scott Bond weekly residents, Judge Jules every two weeks, Tiesto every two months, and a Paul van Dyk 6 hour set every two months. I saw Tiesto's UK debut in April 1999. Oakenfold, Sasha, Armin, Ferry - every single week the line-up was world class from start to finish - occasionally obscure (Taucher - amazing DJ, absolute lunatic), diverse, but week in week out, perfect. Even Jules was awesome back then!

So 1999 also saw me learn the art of decks and begin my long process of establishing a vinyl collection. After that, I guess the rest is history :grinning:

It was quite bizarre seeing the Gatecrasher revolution spread all over the world though. I just think it's a shame for clubbers that DJ fees have gone up, club entry prices have gone up, but the number of events and the quality of events have both gone down.

my journey started since 2000...first i heard "till i come" and "1999", i was like OMG:w00t:,then i started looking for more music like that, from ATB, Picotto (lizard),chemical brothers, paul oakenfold and timo maas, and so i found PVD... in that years (2001) i was listening some like iio, ian van dahl, kirsty Hawkshaw (or however its written), kosmonova, 4 strings,i continued searching for more music until i found out about tiesto, AVB and his ASOT 2004, that´s the cd i always listen when i want to get back to the most incredible trance(IMO), so knowing that year edition i could look for another ones like Blank and jones, Robert Nickson!!, Whiteroom, Oceanlab, Above and Beyond... and so on.....
suddenly i was stuck into trance, and i never heard anything else from that musicians like picotto, chemical brothers, ian van dahl....but i remember them and i recognize it was a cool journey

i can say i started with dance and old trance, then into techno, then into "new trance"(i like to call it my trance transition into progressive):music:...and so far the progressive trance i love:wub:

OMG :ohmy: . . . SVEN VATH. I had forgotten about him. That just reminded me of an awesome mix I once had of his on cassette (yes that long ago) I think that was one of the few cassettes I managed to knacker just by replaying it over and over again. :super:

LOL i just liked it the first time i heard it :lol:

haha my journey...

My journey began around around 1998... while in University, people were listening to ATB, Aqua, aquagen, maxx LOL ya you will laugh, however in 1999 I began listening to di.fm (old green page) few of my friends in university also listened so i said why not... it got me hooked, but what got me more hooked is the videos tranceaddict dot com had for download ... I just loved them...

Here is one of the videos i downloaded and was crazy about the melody..

YouTube - Jam & Spoon - Stella (The best Video)

Trance is not just music, its a way of life for me!

One last thing to say... Trance really Unites people together.

haha my journey...

My journey began around around 1998... while in University, people were listening to ATB, Aqua, aquagen, maxx LOL ya you will laugh, however in 1999 I began listening to di.fm (old green page) few of my friends in university also listened so i said why not... it got me hooked, but what got me more hooked is the videos tranceaddict dot com had for download ... I just loved them...

Here is one of the videos i downloaded and was crazy about the melody..

YouTube - Jam & Spoon - Stella (The best Video)

Trance is not just music, its a way of life for me!

One last thing to say... Trance really Unites people together.

LOL you remember the green page?:lol: yeah me too,
well my journey began in the 80's in the time it called Electronic Music only, and then came the techno, big beats, big raves, so the 90's came and Oaekenfold showed up with his perfecto remixes, great tracks, great melodies and i think at the same time came Paul van Dyk, this was when trance as we know came around, and yes i can say Oaekenfold and van Dyk were who got me in trance, from that time internet came and my search for trance tracks began till the day i found BBC Radio, they had a dance channel with lots of trance dj's sets and in that search at BBC i found some links and one of them was for that green page Dan said, :lol: after that trance is always in my life, i think i can't be 1 single minute without listen to it.:music:

Last edited:
before 1999: i was totally into hip hop, rnb, mainstream radio stuff.

around 1999-2000: once i heard the track: Darude - Sandstorm, i began thinking to myself, "hey this is a pretty cool sound." around that same year, AM/FM radios would occasionally play 1 or 2 dance music tracks after playing 4 to 5 hip hop, & rnb tracks. thus, i would wait til those tracks were over til i hear dance music tracks like sandstorm again.

2001: one of the local radio stations in my area held a club event every saturday night til 4 AM in the morning called "the beat". Every hour or so, the DJ would spin some euro trance, progressive, hard house, hard trance, techno and a bit of uplifting trance. i would always record those club events on blank cassettes and listen to those broadcasts frequently :music:

2002: i came across mp3.com (formerly a site that electronic dance music artists around the world would host a page of their productions to download for free) and AOL internet radio. this radio held a 24/7 online radio "dance music channel" that played many variations of electronic dance music. It was also around that time, i discovered the unique sounds of psychedelic and goa trance. the track that captivated me the most around that time with its amazing energy and psychedelic melody was Mantra - Mandala Moon. (this is one track i will forever love :wub:)

2005: while in tech college, i used a search engine on the class computer i was working at, and i came across di.fm. i would listen to this radio for hours and hours while working on classwork. and would even stay extra if a great set was playing. :music:

Ever since those years, electronic dance music has been a sound i listen to on a 24/7 basis. without this sound, life would mean nothing to me. :smile1:

Last edited:
Ah yes... this is a great thread, good to me since I'm a newcomer to the forums! Well before I knew trance (around 2001-2002) I used to hear most music that played on the radios here in Portugal and I used to tune in to MTV... yep I was your run-of-the-mill teen listening to Hip-Hop, R&B, some Rock also... you know, pretty standard stuff. Then in 2002 (I think... my memory gets a little fuzzy about this :smile:) my cousin had these pretty awesome sounds: the album Bunkka by Paul Oakenfold, and he showed me "Ready Steady Go" which actually I had already heard in a video in youtube. So yeah i basically got "soulknapped" by this awesome sound! Never had i heard such an amazing thing I swear! Then I started to listen more and more to artists such as Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto (my favourite actually) and still Oakenfold too. Mind you, I didn't know much about the genre (I blame MTV and modern culture radios for not playing much Trance... only R&B and hip-hop crap gets tiresome no?) so i started to research about it, about it's origins and history... so as time passed I realised trance was my thing so here I am! Me and my cousin are big Trance fans we just haven't been to any Trance event yet because there aren't many (or any I think) events here in Portugal, but i've been to some clubs. Trance just makes you sooooooo alive its incredible, can't stop listening to Trance... Dance 4 Trance! :music:

where are they now??
It was good idea to start this one ..

This is my story!

I copied it from my youtube profile but I added a few things, let's go! :mask:

About my beginning? My parents bought for us (me & bro) a computer. I was listening to polish rap music because of my bro, then I moved onto energy mixes (Polish people may know what it is). Next, I liked rock/metal (still like some of them). Later on, I was fascinated with old music, 70/80/90 era.

I have been into trance since summer 2007 (I did not know that is called trance). The year + tracks are surely referring to the genre 'trance'. My first tracks were Giuseppe Ottaviani - Through Your Eyes, Orjan Nilsen - Prison Break. I also heard a lot times Robert Miles - Children (on the radio, aswell did not know it is called 'trance'). In April or May 2008 I find out that this type of music is called trance and this is how my adventure began (such a lazy person to check what kind of music it was after 8 months :lol::lol:). While I am listening to trance I leave my worries behind, I feel better and those melodies take over me. That is a beautiful feeling that keeps you forever. :wub:

I assume that consciously I listen to trance from April 2008, soon it will be second anniversary :)

Wow! Nice stories..it´s great to have some of these nostalgic moments from time to time...

My story is basically similar to everyone´s in parts....it began when I was just a kid...and those Dance tunes were hitting the radio...things like Nikki French and those other artists from the mid-90s....as I already used to listen and like some of the 80s stuff like Pet Shop Boys (from my father´s CDs), i really turned into Dance music...
But i was never a single-style person...i always have been and always will be listening to a lot of different things and genres, all the time. So when I was in my 12 years, i was really into melodic metal, and still listening to some electronic sometimes....and then, my epiphany occured.
A friend (who was older than me..he was 18 at that time) went to a club and listened to Gouryella - Gouryella and Art of Trance - Madagascar....he found out about MoS trance CDs and bought them....and on the next day he took them to my place to show me....and that´s when I fell in love with trance. The first time I listened to Gouryella was like seeing a world i have been waiting to find for a long time. It was like a mixture of my 2 fav things in music in general. The beauty of classical music (which I still love and listen all the time), and the euphoria of the beats. So then I started searching all about trance, MoS CDs and everything...then I found DI.fm, and kept listening to it everyday (I was 14 at that time)...
One day DI played Armin´s CD Boundaries of Imagination...i fell in love with SolarStone - Seven Cities...
Then i was more and more into trance....liking everything in trance, but preferring the melodic stuff (yeah, i have a background of liking melodic and classical things in music)...until nowadays.

Nowadays, I can say I listen to everything at everytime...i love doing that...changing genres constantly, making my brain fullfilled with all the things each genre can give me....it´s quite usual to see me jumping from Beethoven to Sinatra, to Ferry Tayle, then Pink Floyd,then Rammstein, then Pavarotti, as an example...i do listen to everything, always in a sudden move, commanded by my mood...

well i have to go to bed soon, but i'll tell my journey to trance first :p :)
I was probably like 5 when i first heard electronic music, its basiclly been with me my whole life so far. It all started from this electronic radio station over here in Washington in the United States. I started off hearing really goofy dance and a bit of old school 90s house on the channel, then around the time i turned 8 or 9 i started discovering dreamy dancish trance, like old school ATB and Fragma it was so grabbing to me that even though (just like Łukasz i didn't know what it was called) i didn't know it was called trance i loved it so much and could tell it from the other kinds of electronic music. Finally when i was like 10 or 11 around 2002 i found out it was called trance and listened to the late night shows for trance as well as other genres, but since this topic is about finding trance i won't go into the other genres and stuff but yeah after that i did find out about all the other good kinds of electronic music from then on such as dn'b, electro house,breaks,electro punk,tech house ect ect.

so yeah thats my journey to trance xD My favorite kinds of trance as of late are: progressive, melodic, and of course tech. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
About 6 years ago, I had a friend who always liked the weird techno happy hardcore stuff, whatever you want to call it, lol. Anyways, I was never into electronic music, but he got me hooked on a series of cd's called Bonkers, had some decent stuff that I really got into and enjoyed. Anyways, I moved away, and one night 4 years ago was wanting to hear some new stuff. So i went looking online and tried finding some online radio stations. Came across some, they where ok, but never anything good that caught me. I then found a station that was called "trance" and went wth is that? Clicked it and ohhhhhhh me likes! I got hooked on that trance station from time to time, i still wasn't a big fan yet. So maybe one a month i would get kicks where I need to hear some, and I would listen for hours and hours to. So about two and a half years ago, I finally came across radio shows which where A State Of Trance and GDJB, listened and loved both. I still wasn't fully into it yet however. But that played a mojor role for sure. During that time as well is when I was getting ready for a road trip, so I wanted some new music to listen to. Currently being talked about was Markus Schulz new release Progression. So I got that for the road trip. I went a day without listening to it, but then when we where driving through the mountains, i figured that would be a good time to try it out. I pushed play on that CD and wow! What a trip! The best cd I ever heard, it went so well with the road trip and scenery and I could just feel the music. It was amazing and felt so good! I fell in love with that cd that day, and that cd made me fall in love with Trance. So from there on my passion grew, I was always listening to ASOT and GDJB, and i was then getting music all the time. I wanted to learn to mix so i started trying that out and how awful i was. But I stayed with it and do pretty darn well now. Trance music is a huge passion of mine now and always will be! :D

to be quite honest i can't remember how i got into trance but i do remember this cd which i still have to this day that i always used to listen to Google Image Result for http://www.discogs.com/image/R-241237-1224605604.jpeg very good cd.. the rest is history tbh..

i've always been into my hardcore and trance, i listen to both every day normal trance or pounding hard trance i love it all... i love how trance makes me feel, picks me up, gets me in the mood for anything defo the best genre around by far...

About 6 years ago, I had a friend who always liked the weird techno happy hardcore stuff, whatever you want to call it, lol. Anyways, I was never into electronic music, but he got me hooked on a series of cd's called Bonkers, had some decent stuff that I really got into and enjoyed. Anyways, I moved away, and one night 4 years ago was wanting to hear some new stuff. So i went looking online and tried finding some online radio stations. Came across some, they where ok, but never anything good that caught me. I then found a station that was called "trance" and went wth is that? Clicked it and ohhhhhhh me likes! I got hooked on that trance station from time to time, i still wasn't a big fan yet. So maybe one a month i would get kicks where I need to hear some, and I would listen for hours and hours to. So about two and a half years ago, I finally came across radio shows which where A State Of Trance and GDJB, listened and loved both. I still wasn't fully into it yet however. But that played a mojor role for sure. During that time as well is when I was getting ready for a road trip, so I wanted some new music to listen to. Currently being talked about was Markus Schulz new release Progression. So I got that for the road trip. I went a day without listening to it, but then when we where driving through the mountains, i figured that would be a good time to try it out. I pushed play on that CD and wow! What a trip! The best cd I ever heard, it went so well with the road trip and scenery and I could just feel the music. It was amazing and felt so good! I fell in love with that cd that day, and that cd made me fall in love with Trance. So from there on my passion grew, I was always listening to ASOT and GDJB, and i was then getting music all the time. I wanted to learn to mix so i started trying that out and how awful i was. But I stayed with it and do pretty darn well now. Trance music is a huge passion of mine now and always will be! :D

do you still like/listen to hardcore now dude?

I don't listen anymore, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't run into some songs that I would probably like.

Music first started for me with Eminem unfortunatly. And then during school in around 2001-2002, a mate of mine showed me a beastie boys song called 'Intergalactic' which was kind of a electro/hip-hop song. He also introduced me to Tiesto's 'Adagio for Strings' remix which I later saw at the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.

My love for the electronic genre started there and I began to download everything I could of Tiesto. From there I started listening to Darude and his popular song 'Sandstorm'.

As I was a lighting and sound engineer at school - during pre & post assembly I played some Trance which a few people danced to.

Since then my tastes and diversity in electronic genres has began to spread and i now listen to key artists such as: Armin Van Buuren, Markus Schulz, Marco V, Marcel Woods, Above & Beyond, tyDi, Gareth Emery, Laidback Luke, Wolfgang Gartner, Pendulum, Prodigy and heaps more.

As you can tell I am a HUGE fan of Trance. The reason for this is because the beat has a constant flow and has a synergy affect that keeps my thoughts in line and helps me rain calm and collected. My attitude and personality is much better when I can relax to some good beats. The artist who make this music - do it for the music and not for $$$. It's extremely rare to see them making a nuisance of themselves.

That's really my journey...

Back