AH.FM Cribs

I was wondering how my guest bedroom was coming along :LMAO:

nice update :)

I was wondering how my guest bedroom was coming along :LMAO:

nice update :)

Hahahaha :p:p I'm sure he's got quite a few of those in the plan.

..and wow...jaw-dropping house there. congratulations. :friends:

it seems the heat/humidity insulation business isnt so important there... if they would have done like that here u would get jail sentence :lol:

very nice looking house though :smile:

Thanks guys!

Well good news!! The external planking is now *almost* finished. This is yet to be painted, but will look good against the bricks. It adds a nice texture to the front of the house.

Around the library window...
planking01.jpg

Side of the media room...
planking02.jpg

As promised...pics of the network cabling. This is in the area under the stairs. So this is where all the network points are centralised for distribution.

network_cable_01.jpg

network_cable_02.jpg

network_cable_03.jpg

We also now have 1 bathtub installed - I never really thought about it, but they just sit it on bricks, then lock it in with foam. The bath is full of water at the moment, to keep it in place.

bathtub01.jpg

bathtub02.jpg

And best of all - the internal fitout has started. They've started, and almost now finished the plasterboard walls!

These 3 photos were taken last week.

Hallway on the top floor, looking down the hall towards the "library" end.
plaster01.jpg

Nook in the master bedroom...
plaster02.jpg

Standing at the library end, looking down the hall towards the master bedroom...
plaster03.jpg

All the photos from there on, were taken today.

Downstairs in the hallway, looking at the "formal lounge". One of the "features" of upgrading to the "Acclaim" version of the house was the wall cut out features. There is also a cutout feature that will eventually go in the stairs section.
plaster04.jpg

This is the family/meals area out the back, ground floor.
plaster06.jpg

Standing in the diagonally opposite corner, same room. Photo is looking at the kitchen and walk-in pantry area. You'll see the ladder just there behind the wall. That is where the stairs will go up to the upper level.
plaster07.jpg

Standing in the formal lounge. The passage way you see in center of frame leads through to the laundry.
plaster08.jpg

Garage & Workshop area. Those of you who were there might remember where I had the bbq that day.
plaster09.jpg

Garage...where the 200SX's (and hopefully my motorbike :p) will be parked.
plaster10.jpg

This is the double shower in the ensuite. Its now been plastered up and you can see the half wall.
plaster11.jpg

The bath in the ensuite (double shower behind to the left, toilet behind to the right).
plaster12.jpg

The roof of the media room...
plaster14.jpg

They've also plastered up the roof of the balcony...
plaster13.jpg

And this is the pile of rubbish from the fitout so far..
plaster_rubbish.jpg

And the house...as she currently is.
house_external.jpg

It can't be too long now!

Last edited:
Things are in full swing, with the house well and truely at the lockup stage. Access inside the house is limited with all the doors being locked up and the windows closed.

However I still managed to get these pics :p
Everyone should know how to get into their own house :p

The kitchen & bathrooms have been fitted, and tiling has commenced.

This is the downstairs bathroom, in the laundry area:
downstairs_bath_01.jpg

Shower in the downstairs bathroom, sealed and ready for tiling.
downstairs_bath_02.jpg

Upstairs bathroom....
upstairs_bath_01.jpg

upstairs_bath_02.jpg

Ensuite
ensuite_01.jpg

Jo & I always have a Shaolin battle over the bathroom sink in the mornings - so the solution for our own house was his & her's sinks.

My sink...
ensuite_02.jpg

Jo's sink...
ensuite_03.jpg

We continued the theme to his & her's showers....(giggidy)
ensuite_04.jpg

The laundry is now in too. This is the laundry sink, and the cupboard on top that you see, is the bottom of the laundry chute.
laundry01.jpg

To the right, you can see where the washing machine will go.
laundry02.jpg

And this is the top of the laundry chute, in one of the walk-in-robes in the master bedroom. You just open the lid, the drop the clothes in, which land in the cupboard in the laundry.
laundry_choot.jpg

Ohh yeah...and the stairs are finally in!
stairs01.jpg

stairs02.jpg

And this is my "wine cellar/comms room". On the right hand side is where all my central riser will be (the cables are behind the wall at the moment).
wine_cellar_comms_room.jpg

I love cooking, so I saved my favourite update for last...the kitchen!
kitchen01.jpg

We had the central island bench widened, people with long legs (like myself) can easily fit underneath.
kitchen02.jpg

It also makes for an extra wide bench - which is good for parties or when I'm doing a massive cook up. You can see the width of the bench, in relation to the standard sink.
kitchen03.jpg

And there's plenty of draws and cupboard space.
kitchen04.jpg

kitchen05.jpg

Throughout the house we went with neutral, earthy tones. We both liked neutral colours, plus its a safe option for matching furniture etc. The downstairs bathroom and laundry are the same bench & cupboard colours as the kitchen.
colours03.jpg

The upstairs bathroom is a lighter colour, with a granite looking bench top, and off white cupboards.
colours02.jpg

The ensuite has warm stone/woody looking bench tops, with light brown cupboards. It has less "olive green" in it than the kitchen cupboards.
colours01.jpg

Once the tiles are in, it'll give some contrast, and you'll be able to see how it matches.

The tiling should be done this week, and I'll try to sneak back next weekend for more updated pics.

Wow, that's looking superb. You guys certainly have big houses over there, I'd say your kitchen is probably as big as the entire downstairs of my house lol!

we already know where will be the AH.FM staff meeting trip xDDDDDD

amazing house kang!!!! dammit i love ittttttttttttttt!!!!! :love::love::love:

Thanks Jelly!!!! And you know...anytime you want to visit Brisbane - you've got a place to stay :hug:

Wow, that's looking superb. You guys certainly have big houses over there, I'd say your kitchen is probably as big as the entire downstairs of my house lol!

HAHAH - thanks mate! By Australian standards this is probably just a bit bigger than average. I mean...its not *huge* (by Australian standards), but its bigger than most first homes.

With the house still at lockup, access inside is very limited (and understandably). On Friday just gone, we had our first meeting with the site supervisor to go through the house. It was also a chance for us to ask all the questions we had written down over time. The site supervisor was more than happy to talk us through the building process, and he answered our n00b building questions with a smile.

Questions we had were things like...
- Do we get the pinkbat insulation throughout the whole house?
A: Yep, the pink bat insulation you see in earlier photos of the media room, get done throughout the entire roof.

- Is the water tank connected to the entire house exept the kitchen?
A: Town water is connected to the kitchen. The tank feeds the laundry & bathrooms. This is so in the event of a loss in electricity, we still have running water in the kitchen. Plus it gets around my paranoia of drinking tank water.

- How do the sprinklers work for the HSTP system, and can we move them around if we want?
A: The outlet from the HSTP system is run underground to 2 sprinklers at the back of the property away from the house. An additional hose can be connected to this, at the point where it comes out of the ground - and I can then move the sprinkler to wherever I need it.

- How many coats of paint usually goes on?
A: Two coats of paint on the walls & ceiling. Three coats on doors & window trims.

- When does the external vent for the rangehood go in?
A: When they install the rangehood. It wasn't done before hand just incase the measurments were out when the kitchen was fitted.

- How many zones will the airconditioning system be setup with?
A: About 5 different zones. However the most energy effecient way of running it, is to have the living areas on during the day, then at night, turn off the living areas and only have the bedrooms on. We _can_ have all the areas on at the same time, but it'll max out the effiecency of the unit and use heaps of power.

- Where does the TV antenna connect into?
A: There is a point in the roof where the antenna will plug into, and from there its distributed to the internal antenna points within the house.

- When will they acid wash the bricks?
A: Apparently its already been done. The bricks do look cleaner/brighter, but there are still some areas where the motar isn't as tight as we had hoped. But it is a lot better than before.

- When is the hand over date?
A: This was a question he tried to dodge - naturally. He said late May - which still seems like a fair way off. But he said its because we're at the stage where things really do slow down. All that's left to do is finishing the paint, then all the finishings inside (lights, switches, taps, door knobs etc). The delays happen when say...the electrian knocks a hole in the wall to fit a power point, but the cable isn't long enough or in the wrong spot. He then has to fix that up, and then the plaster guy needs to come back to fix the hole. Then the painter needs to come back to repaint it. etc etc.

Hopefully we won't have to many (if any) of those - as we've managed to keep pretty much on top of anything we've spotted that's out of place.

So with the painting well and truely underway, the bathrooms, kitchen and wet area tiling has been completed. They've also now finished the exterior completely, with only the external window dressings to go. We've managed to get a tiler to do the floors just after handover, and the supervisor is letting our carpet guys onsite this week to do a final measure to order the carpet so its ready to go.

As temping as it is, Jo & I don't want to move in until the tiles & carpet are installed - so getting them in ASAP after handover is our focus.

And here are the updated pics!

Master bedroom ensuite, now tiled. The shower section will be all glassed in, with a glass pivot door.
ensuite_05.jpg

My sink. You can see the tiling on the walls. Its covered in plastic at the moment due to painting.
ensuite_06.jpg

Jo's sink.
ensuite_07.jpg

And Jo's half of the shower...
ensuite_08.jpg

This is the upstairs bathroom (the shower is to the right, just outside of frame). As you can see its tiled a different colour to the ensuite.
upstairs_bath_03.jpg

All the doors have been taken off the hinges for painting. These ones have recieved their first coat of paint.
painted_doors.jpg

Kitchen now painted - looking very different to the last photo I took of it.
kitchen06.jpg

Downstairs laundy - masked off with a first coat of paint already on.
laundry03.jpg

Downstairs bathroom
downstairs_bath_03.jpg

View from the living room - ceiling and walls with first coat of paint.
living_room.jpg

This photo was taken inside the study, but shows the linen cupboard doors painted.
painted_cupboard_doors.jpg

And they've finally finished the planking on the side of the media room - took them ages because someone kept stealing the boards.
planking03.jpg

One thing we were quite happy about aswell, is that they're letting us keep all the left over bricks (about 3 pallets worth). On the weekend some friends helped me move them away from the house. We stacked them away from the house so they don't get scooped up during the site cleanup - which is also beginning soon!

This is just a minor update...

All the downpipes have been connected and the last I saw they were just about to hook up the water tank. Here are some pics of the down pipes. They've also been painted.

downpipe01.jpg

downpipe02.jpg

downpipe03.jpg

The front door has also been painted...
door01.jpg

And so has the cladding around the library window, and the side of the theatre room.
door02.jpg

cladding01.jpg

And once again... an around the house photo shoot. Almost all the exterior is finished now (except for the garage door, some window dressings and external lights.).

exterior01.jpg

exterior02.jpg

exterior03.jpg

freaking nice crib man! :)
what kind of internet will you have to choon into ah.fm? :p

again daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn nice!

freaking nice crib man! :)
what kind of internet will you have to choon into ah.fm? :p

again daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn nice!

Thanks man :). LOL...well internet *might* be a problem. Internet access in Australia is very poor - there are 3rd world countries that have better internet access than us. Its a long story about the Australian Government, a company called Telstra, and the demand for broadband - I won't go into the story just now.

However - out where our house is being built - the most I can hope for is ADSL. Not ADSL2+...just standard ADSL. That's *if* I can even get that. I have backup plans for internet access including wireless broadband etc - but I hope it doesn't come to that. In time the area will get full internet access...but it may not be for years.

The house is so close to completion now. We're still trying to find out a handover date - but I'm really hoping it'll be in April. If it is, I win a 10 cent bet with Jo. Jo said it'll be in May, after the Queens Birthday. I said it would be by the Anzac Day weekend. :p

We had our first little hiccup in the house process last week. About a year ago, we put money down for some carpet. We found a carpet we really liked, and paid the deposit. In September 2008, the people that make the carpet stopped making the one we liked in the colour we liked (which was a light chocolate brown). They make the same carpet in other colours - just not the one we liked. We didn't find this out until just the other week when we went to tell the carpet people to order in 78.5 meters of the stuff.

So Jo & I had to go back to the drawing board with carpet. Keeping with the earthy tone/neutral colour theme we picked - these were our options.

carpet01.jpg

And here against the ensuite tiles:
carpet02.jpg

The brown carpet is darker than the one we originally picked. And whilst to us it looked good in a small sample, the carpet guys said it will actually look even darker when its filling a whole room. So with that in mind, we went for the lighter option. So that is the carpet we will get on the top floor, lounge and study.

All the bathrooms are now finished too. The shower screens, mirrors and the towel rails have been installed.

shower_01.jpg

towel_rail.jpg

upstairs_bathroom.jpg

This also means the ensuite is now finished too! Quite a difference to the wooden frame I used to look at and visualise.

ensuite_01.jpg

And the double shower - yeah yeah!

ensuite_02.jpg

All the shelving has now been installed aswell - this includes the cupboards, walk-in wardrobes and the pantry. This is the pantry shelving....

pantry_shelving.jpg

And the cooktop has been installed! The best thing about this is...I've been looking online, and you can get mods for it. Fo 'real! You can buy mods - like a teppenyaki plate and bbq grill. I guess it replaces the middle burners. Its one thing I'm going to look more into after we move in - cause I really wouldn't mind a teppenyaki plate - for when I'm doing my Iron Chef challenges.

cooktop.jpg

This picture is about a week old - and from what I can tell it should now be finished. Welcome to the comms room, where I'll have my 16 port switch, and internet connection. You can see the bundle of data cables from the rest of the house. The 3 coloured wires up the back is a power point. The single blue wire will be the ADSL connection, and the white wire you see in the foreground is a light.
data_cabling.jpg

Back