AH.fm iPhone App

'heavyweight' is very relative... 10mb is nothing for a modern desktop, but it should be taken into account for mobile application. Memory management is different too, and dont forget that someone might want to download your application from AppStore over EDGE or GPRS - will 10mb still be good enough comparing to 100kb of Nullriver application that I mentioned earlier? :)
iPhone runs OS X, but it's not Mac OS X. Is FMOD ported for iPhone?
And' of course, I don't think that support for any platform will be useful for this app... Are we still talking about iPhone application? :)

I would say that 10mb is nothing for a 4gb / 8gb phone either to be honest and the library was designed with being lightweight in mind, considering its capabilities. It's not going to load 10mb into ram that's for sure. Personally I wouldn't say size is an issue on the phone you are developing for, especially if you want to develop a full blown application in a relatively small timescale.

In regard to it running on the iPhone, I have no idea as I haven't tried, I was just presuming it would as the big wigs at Apple have shouted their mouths off saying Windows Mobile is crap because it is a restricted version of the OS, as opposed to theirs which isn't, so one would presume a OSX library would work on a desktop and mobile device, but I guess that was just full blown marketing junk then if it doesn't.

Anyway, ignoring that I see you have got something started anyway, good luck! I'm sure it will be awesome. :mask:

Apple have shouted their mouths off saying Windows Mobile is crap because it is a restricted version of the OS, as opposed to theirs which isn't, so one would presume a OSX library would work on a desktop and mobile device, but I guess that was just full blown marketing junk then if it doesn't.
I won't argue on that because I don't know the ecact context of the Apple's statement... However, you defenitely can't run applications from Mac OS X on iPhone at least because it has different processor architecture, so library developers would have to rebuild their code. Some API is missing too, but it's mostly about UI, and might not apply to audio library. Might apply, however, there are some audio routing tricks that you shouldn't worry about on the desktop.

Thanks for your good wishes :)

are u still looking for ppl to test this out on there phones? i have both a jailbroken 2g and 3g and would love to give it a go

please help us with the development of this app. whoever is good with photoshop we need 5 images done

this is what it looks like now

http://www.ah.fm/iphone/iphone.jpg

we need 3 bottom images
Player Online Settings (30x30 pixels transparent PNG)

2 images for stop and play (25x25 pixels transparent PNG)

also background needs AH logo:
http://www.ah.fm/files/logos/main-logo.png

anyhelp would be much appreciated, if you can do a few templates also appreciated. This will be the AH.FM App :)

thank you all who are taking part in this.

are u still looking for ppl to test this out on there phones? i have both a jailbroken 2g and 3g and would love to give it a go
Yes, of course, it would be great.
Sadly, for now I don't have a repository to host installation package, so you can either install it manually or wait till I get a repo :)
Have you ever installed applications manually, like copying it to the phone and assigning rights? If yes, I can give you an application package with instructions what to do with it whenever you want, today for example :)

Yes, of course, it would be great.
Sadly, for now I don't have a repository to host installation package, so you can either install it manually or wait till I get a repo :)
Have you ever installed applications manually, like copying it to the phone and assigning rights? If yes, I can give you an application package with instructions what to do with it whenever you want, today for example :)

ya i think i remember doing that with some of my NES games for the NES emulator but cant quite remember. So ya, instructions would be good lol

Okey, give it a try :lol:
A brief description
- Playback fully works, at least for me and a couple of my friends, hope it will for you too.
- All the variety of stream qualities (192k and 96k mp3 and 48k AAC) are supported.
- At the Online page you can see a number of users online and a playlist with 2 next items, current in the middle and 2 last (at the bottom, like here on the forum)
- If the forum thread is available for current show (it's not always true), a disclosure mark is shown. Tapping on it will open the thread.
- For now you have to manually select station (like Austria 192k), but I plan to implement dynamic selection of the server upon quality setting only, as tranceman_g and Dan suggest.
- 'WiFi stream only' switch allows you to restrict audio playback only for WiFi connection (ON) or for both WiFi and mobile network (OFF). If it's on, application won't allow you to connect if you don't have wifi, and will immediately stop playback if it discovers that wifi became unavailable.
- WiFi stream only switch does not affect playlist and forum, audio playback only is affected.
- For now it lacks most of the artwork, and is not very verbose. I'm working on it right now :)

Looking forward to hear your suggestions :)

UPD: one more thing. iPhone switches WiFi off after 30 minutes of sleep (or earlier if WiFi is not used). It's a feature, and it's done for battery saving. To avoid turning off wifi if you want audio to play for more than 30 minutes, there are 2 solutions: connect the phone to power supply or periodically do something with it (pressing home without unlocking the screen is sufficient)

Last edited:
Works greatly !
Thanks !!!

PS : yeah, i got an ipod 3G ! :)

Is there any news in the dev?
Suggestions :

Icon:
AH.fm deserves a better icon for the iPhone/iPod Touch "desk"

Main page:
* logo on top of the page
* Currently playing : display the actual info a line below cos the line is sooo short !
* Have the currently playing info scrolling
* Volume slider above or below, but not on the same line as the play controls
* Next /prev button to change the stream address

Online page:
So far, so good

Settings page:
So far, so good.

We "need" a calendar page view :)

Can you use similar code as in Insomnia to get the player unstoppable (ie : no return to iphone sleep state) ? (That would mean : no offical app ever, only jailbroken iPhones)

Willing to test it as much as needed :) ;)

++
T_g

how do i get it !?

SWEET, wish id heard about this earlier!

Edit: ok so is it because its early hours here, but how do i get this app on to my Ipod touch, i tried getting a browser, but i cant view my ipod???

EDIT: my bad!

EDIT 2: could this app be compiled someway so it can be downloaded to the itouch from the app store???

Last edited:
SWEET, wish id heard about this earlier!

Edit: ok so is it because its early hours here, but how do i get this app on to my Ipod touch, i tried getting a browser, but i cant view my ipod???

EDIT: my bad!

EDIT 2: could this app be compiled someway so it can be downloaded to the itouch from the app store???

were working on it, its in early stages now... :) thank you

Any new beta so I can try and give opinion/feedback/ideas !?

BTW, I used it this morning ;)

I didnt get any cut while listening to AH.fm, via Wifi !!!!!

Quality is really good in 192kBs ! :)

Guys, do you still need the graphics for this application?

Last edited:

Back