Latest movie you saw..

:friends:

Last edited:
opera/google chrome not, but internet explorer showing nicely strange everyone saying that's the worst browser and seems the only one which showing the :"friends": :)

let's comment also something about the movies if we are at this thread, i don't like movies maybe one can be good from a million :)

The Goodbye Girl

Made in 1977. A divorced woman and her daughter come home to find that her boyfriend has left for an out of town job with nowarning. This has happened before. The second surprise comes in the form ofanother actor who has sublet the apartment from her boyfriend (who did notmention the pair of females who would be in residence). After some negotiationthe two decide to share the apartment even though she has vowed to stay awayfrom actors.

Three decades have passed since I first viewed "The Goodbye Girl". I can think of few films that hold up like this Neil Simon comedy. I read in a previous review that the plot is"unbelievable". Am I wrong in recalling that the writer admitted that he got the concept complete from the life of an actor? Just another case of reality possessing more truth than fiction. Richard Dreyfus and Marsha Mason should be added to that rare list of actors whose performances will forever define the characters they portrayed. Elliot Garfield and Paula McFadden belong to them in perpetuity. Played by Quinn Cummings, Lucy McFadden simply made the film work as a sophisticated child who never uttered one cloying word. Bless you Quinn, wherever your are. For someone who has been a friend of actors, and who has adored dancers, every situation in the film rang true. Previous reviews have covered all the cinematic aspects, so I will just add my accolade: This is a film that rates with the best of Hollywood.

Grand Slam

Made in 1933. Because the Stanislavsky method of playing bridge has no rules, it promotes marital harmony for those who stick with it.

1933 seemed to be a great year for satires ("Duck Soup" for instance) and this one fits in well even though it is about the obsession with contract bridge. The tone is like a humorous piece from The New Yorker, appropriate, since the film begins with the "Goings On About Town" page of that magazine. The only thing odd is the casting. Made a few years later William Powell and Myrna Loy would have been perfect. However, after 1934, you wouldn't have had adultery handled in such a sophisticated fashion, the young and beautiful Loretta Young in some shear and slinky outfits, or a group of prostitutes listening to a bridge contest on radio. Even if you know nothing about bridge, you may still want to check out a rare example of Hollywood satire

Cinema Paradiso

Made in 1988. It is by now well known that there are two versions of this film that differ greatly, the original 3 hour Italian cut and the heavily re-edited 2 hour version which was the version that charmed the world in 1988. It remains a wonderful experience, but the director's cut is so much richer, deeper, satisfying, well, everything. This review is of the director's cut whis is one of my favourite films of all time ever since I came out of the cinema in which I first saw it in back in 1994. Never has a film affected me as emotionally as this one. Cinema Paradiso is many things- a touching story of a friendship, a wonderful portrayal of a Sicilian village, a loving tribute to the cinema, amongst other things, but the longer cut is I believe the most moving and romantic love story ever. For my money, you can forget Casablanca, DrZhivago,Titanic, Romeo and Juliet, etc {great as some of them are}, this is the one that does it for me.

Cinema Paradiso has been called sentimental, but in the director's cut it is a darker, deeper kind of sentimentality. Maybe it is still "a love letter to the cinema", but it also shows that obsessive love of something such as films can also result in sadness and regret. Think of what happens to Alfredo in the film, and as for Salvatore, well, his curse is that he has two loves in his life but success in one of them comes at the expense of the other. The uncut Cinema Paradiso is more than anything else about life and the effect of the decisions we make. Oh,and the greatest, most heart-breaking love story ever.

Pretty Woman

Made in 1990. What is it about this movie that made it such an instant mega smash when it was released? I'm not sure if it's The incredible chemistry between Gear and Roberts, the smart dialog, the storyline-combination of all of the above-etc etc. But I do think These days, so few GREAT romantic comedies get made. Pretty woman is great. I enjoyed every moment of this and have seen it many times.

This is a lovely story of hope and the true purity of falling madly in love-there are so many movies that try to be romantic and inevitably come across looking forced and contrived. The story and acting in Pretty woman, while very obviously being "Hollywood" to a tee, are so natural and free flowing, that it's just a joy to watch this. It's also great to see(in what's not usually the case) a romantic comedy that gets it right, in every area from casting to dialog to pretty much everything from start to finish. Great movie!

Four's a Crowd

Made in 1938. Screwball comedy was popular in the late '30s and Warner Bros. made several contributions to this genre. Despite the stellar cast--Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Patric Knowles and Rosalind Russell--this one isn't considered one of the best but it's amusingly played by the four leads.

Errol Flynn is a surprise in a good comic performance--a highlight of which is the scenes where he is pursued by hound dogs snapping at his heels every time de Havilland's father (Walter Connolly) tries driving him off his property. Flynn and Rosalind Russell play a pair of scheming reporters who, along with newspaper boss Patric Knowles, exploit Connolly as "the meanest man in America". Love complications abound when the four snarling couples get into cabs for the finale, with a surprising switcheroo happening before a justice of the peace about to perform the marriage ceremony.

Libeled Lady

William Powell must have loved the year 1936. It was the year he made "The Great Ziegfeld" (which won the best picture Oscar), "My Man Godfrey"(for which he was nominated for best actor), and one of the best screwball romantic comedies ever made. That picture would be "Libeled Lady". Although this film is widely viewed,with good reason, as one of Jean Harlow's best films, I think that Powell steals the picture and runs away with the best performance.Not that the rest of the cast is too shabby, either. Myrna Loy as the titled character, and Spencer Tracy as a newspaper editor from Hell, add to the madness and mayhem. And Harlow is at her best in her role as a woman who is engaged to Tracy, and married to Powell. That's as far as I'll go as far as the plot is concerned. Just see the movie.

One of the best points about this film is the fact that it was made before the production code was put in place. Movies like this could be much freer with sexual situations and dialogue, while still leaving much to the imagination.The film is directed at breakneck speed by Jack Conway, who smartly, gets out of the way and lets his wonderful actors take over. If you haven't seen "Libeled Lady" yet, you must make a point of watching for it. You'll be glad you did. You'll want to watch it over and over again.

The Divorce of Lady X

Made in 1938. This is an absolutely charming film, one of my favourite romantic comedies. It's extremely humorous and the cast is wonderful. Though Laurence Olivier is mostly associated with his Shakespearean work he shows in this film that he is by no means restricted to play only classical theatre. He manages the transition from the cynical divorce solicitor, who tries to avoid women and their traitorous ways, to the lovesick puppy that falls for Lady X played by Merle Oberon effortlessly. The dialogue is wonderfully witty and refreshing and the atmosphere enchanting. Ralph Richardson was a delight to watch as well. I highly recommend it.

Laurence Olivier and Ralph Richardson who went on to knighthood as they entered the primes of their respective career show a comic talent in this film which in America would have been done by Cary Grant or William Powell. Later on Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Tony Randall and/or Gig Young would have played some of those parts in this film. In America, Carole Lombard would have been in Merle Oberon's part at the time this was made.

Standing Room Only

Made in 1944. During World War II, Lee Stevens travels to Washington D.C. with his secretary Jane Rogers in order to secure a government contract. Not thinking it through, Jane cancels their hotel reservations when she feels the accommodations are inadequate. With no rooms available in the entire city Lee and Jane pose as a married couple and take positions as maid and butler in the Cromwell's home until the contract can be secured.

Jane (Paulette Goddard) accompanies Mr Stevens (Fred MacMurray) on a business trip to win a contract, posing as his secretary. However, she doesn't know the first thing about being a secretary.There is a severe accommodation shortage and she finds them a place to stay working as a butler and a cook while Mr Stevens tries to win his contract.There are several misunderstandings before the conclusion at a dinner party. The cast are funny - watch Goddard take dictation or MacMurray ask for the day off while posing as a butler - and the film carries the viewer through various farcical and comedic scenarios. Roland Young can be annoying as Ira Cromwell while Anne Revere makes an amusing and very dominating Major Cromwell. It's an amusing film - light and fun.

Back