Latest movie you saw..

Sally and Saint Anne

Made in 1952. Wonderful family film that should be a staple at Christmas time. It's a mystery to me why it isn't. A true lost film that I first encountered, flickering away on my old 19" black and white RCA, when the Million Dollar Movie was still in vogue on Channel 9 in New York City. This Rudolph Mate directed fantasy should be nestled under everyone's Christmas tree. But it has never been released on home video. Too bad. I believe I saw part of it on AMC a few years ago, before they cut many of their older films from the rotation. TCM should take up the slack and play it at Easter or on Christmas Eve. Any movie with Santa, Aunt Bee, the Hostess Cupcake Lady, and an actor with the first name King, can't be bad. Ann Blyth as "Sally" is a bundle of energy. During her school years, she rushes over to the chapel to pray for St. Anne to help and give guidance to her mixed-up and financially strapped family. It works. So, after she graduates, she places a statue of St. Anne in her own bedroom. At one point the entire O'Moyne residence is moved to another address. I think this was done to put an end to a neighbor dispute between the O'Moynes and the dastardly fellow next door. Blyth is cute as a button. Edmund Gwen can play the reclusive grandfather in his sleep. All-in-all, this is a satisfying movie experience.

They All Kissed The Bride

Made in 1942. Joan Crawford is a businesswoman who owns her own trucking company, and Melvyn Douglas is a reporter determined to write a book about her. As this is a light comedy one knows that these two will fall for each other sooner or later, and that complications will abound. Crawford is quite good as the lady executive, and Douglas most expert in the kind of role he had played dozens of times before. Both stars are in their prime, and just young enough to pull this slight story off. This movie is no classic but is extremely pleasant to watch. Made in the early days of World War II, it is the kind of picture that would soon go out of style, as the pressures of war would produce a different kind of comedy, less subtle and sophisticated, more obvious and at times more outrageous. They All Kissed the Bride is light and leisurely in tone, coming as it did between the end of the great Depression and the start of global war, its refusal to take itself too seriously must have been a tonic in its day, and if one is in the right mood it can still work its magic.

Sunday Dinner for a Soldier

Made in 1944. A poor family in Florida saves all the money they can in order to plan something special for the soldier they've invited to Sunday dinner. They don't realize that their request to invite the soldier never got mailed. On the day of the scheduled dinner, another soldier is brought to their home and love soon blossoms between him and Tessa, the young woman who runs the home.

Anne Baxter stars as the determined young woman who must hold her family together during difficult times; the prospects of an affluent, but loveless, marriage only add to her strain. Appearing late in the film is John Hodiak as the gentle sergeant who comes wandering along Baxter's beach at exactly the right time. Together they epitomize the wistful longing which is forever associated with the warrior leaving for battle and the loved one left behind.

Meet John Doe

Made in 1941. This film offers a standing rebuke to critics who use the term "Capracorn". None of Capra's films are as blindly optimistic as is often argued, but this one is a pitch-black jeremiad against manipulation by the media. The mob scene at the "John Doe" convention is one of the powerful scenes ever filmed. Stanwyck is incredible as reporter Anne Mitchell. She is one of the great actresses of the century, and she always did her best work Capra, whose female characters are generally more compelling to the women we get in the movies of our "liberated" era. Cooper is fantastic as a truly "average" guy who is "awakened" by his experience with the John Doe movement, and Edward Arnold is absolutely terrifying in the role of Fascist D.B. Norton. This film is even more relevant today than when it was made, and I would argue that it should be viewed in high schools across the continent. Capra is asking his viewers to think critically of EVERYTHING they hear on the radio or see in papers or hear from elites, and amen to that!

Angels Over Broadway

Made in 1940. Angels Over Broadway is actually a little play on words, since the name of one of the main characters is Engle, which in German means Angel (actually spelled Engel). Written by Ben Hecht, the film stars Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Rita Hayworth, Thomas Mitchell and John Qualen. It's an interesting and sweet film with very good performances, but you would swear it's based on a play because it is extremely heavy on dialogue.

Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. is marvelous as usual. The man could be the most elegant of British gentlemen or a born and bred New York low-life. Here he is the latter and a delight. I am so glad a previous comment mentioned Marilyn Monroe - she must have been influenced by Rita Hayworth in this film, as Hayworth's voice and delivery in spots can only be described as pre-Marilyn. Monroe couldn't have had a better role model. Hayworth is just beautiful and gives a sympathetic portrayal of Nina. Mitchell's performance is heartrending, especially when he calls his wife on the telephone. Qualen has precious little dialogue but he, too, does a great job as a desperate man.

Miracle in the Rain

Made in 1956. Reminiscent of the wonderful "The Clock", this wartime romance was made eleven years after the war was over, somewhat oddly to me. But, based upon the ending, there was absolutely no way it could have been made during the war. The reasons should be obvious. Van Johnson is his usual charming self and Jane Wyman rather diffident at first. But they fall deeply in love, and spend much time on their plans for the future when he returns from overseas - and how poignant that turned out to be.

It is no spoiler to say that Wyman's character is completely distraught towards the end of the movie, and the "miracle", on the steps of St Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, does give her some hope. But it remains the saddest movie I had seen since "Waterloo Bridge". But such was life after a World War and hundreds of thousands of dead Americans. Don't forget this was written (and very well) by the famous journalist, writer, and screenwriter, Ben Hecht, who first gave us "The Front Page".If you don't mind using your hankie, watch "Miracle in the Rain". It's a wonderful movie.

The Women

Made in 1939. This movie has one of the best casts ever - Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Paulette Goddard, Rosalind Russell, Mary Boland, Joan Fontaine, Hedda Hopper and Virginia Weilder just to name a few. These women carry the movie perfectly and acting is perfection. Some people disagree and say that Norma Shearer acts in a 'silent screen' type of way - but I cannot agree with that. I think she did an excellent job especially when she had the crying scene on the sofa (I don't think I have ever seen anybody cry that well before)

There were so many excellent films produced in 1939, but this is the best at showing (what Hollywood wanted to show) the current times. It showcases so many wonderful actresses all at once. Norma Shearer is just outstanding; this is my favorite movie of hers. It also shows the values and thinking about women's roles at that time; but challenges them at the same time. As embodied by Mary's mother-in-law, there's a feeling of "boys will be boys" and the thought that even though her husband is playing around (for no good reason given - they seem to be a happy couple), Mary should let him get his "wild oats" out of his system, and look the other way. On the other hand, it shows a rich and varied view of all types of women, intelligent, catty, gentle, vicious, etc. They are not necessarily defined by the men in their lives - who are not shown. It actually shows the women ultimately deciding how their men will live - and with whom. Overall, a wonderful, enjoyable movie.

Back