Latest movie you saw..

Get Carter

The sound track is very good. The fight with (Mint Royal) "From Rusholme With Love" in the back.

The Marrying Kind

Made in 1952. Florence and Chet Keefer have had a troublesome marriage. Whilst in the middle of a divorce hearing the judge encourages them to remember the good times they have had hoping that the marriage can be saved.

While she never gave a bad performance this film contains Judy Holliday's best work, supposedly she felt so too, and probably Aldo Ray's as well. The situations are as relevant now as they were then and played with infinite sensitivity. Decidedly on the more sober side in its portrayal of marriage the Garson Kanin/Ruth Gordon script had touches of levity making it feel very true. While the leads are really the whole story silent film star Madge Kennedy stands out in the supporting cast as the compassionate and wise judge. Funny, sad look at a marriage from courtship through breakdown would be perfect for a remake with the proper actors although these two would be hard to top.

Out of the Blue

Made in 1947. Set in an apartment building whose occupants include Arthur Earthleigh, a meek and mild type married to the beautiful-but-domineering Mae; a Bohemian artist, David Galleo and his always-there model, Deborah Tyler; and Olive Jensen, a Greenwich Village type who is always slightly-but-continuously inebriated, and whose motto is "love and let love."

What makes this movie so remarkable is that all the actors are cast against their type. Romantic lead George Brent plays a henpecked hubby in this film. Glamor gal Carole Landis plays a prissy mouse of a housewife. Turhan Bey doesn't wear a turban in this film, but plays a cool and wise-cracking New York man-about-town. And drama queen Ann Dvorak plays a screwball drunk lady with more than one screw loose. It's a gem.

Between Us Girls

Made in 1942. This movie features Diana Barrymore, who I've read about, but never seen on film. She was pretty good, and probably could have had a successful career, and possibly been a big star. She shows real talent in this film. It is sort of a road company "The Major and the Minor," but she's good. In the opening scenes, she plays a Queen Victoria type (or maybe it is the Queen herself), and does so convincingly. At the end of the film, she plays Joan of Arc, again convincingly. She seemed to have the Barrymore talent, and showed she was good in character parts. She also had a knack for comedy. I was impressed by her, and wonder what she could have done with a really good part. It's too bad that she went down her father's path of too much booze, too many bad romances, and a generally self-destructive lifestyle. Her autobiography, "Too Much, Too Soon," was well named, I guess. If things had been different, I bet she could have been a star, and/or a good character actress.

Hazard

Made in 1948. Paramount put Paulette Goddard in this comedy-adventure playing a compulsive gambler on the run for being in debt to gambler Fred Clark. She manages to escape his willingly open arms, only to be pursued by a private eye (MacDonald Carey) across the country This was not the typical Paramount stuff that comedies were made of. Even though it was directed by George Marshall, an ace at this sort of fare. It had a weak script and MacDonald Carey, although a good actor, didn't have the charisma or box-office following of a Cooper, Milland or MacMurray, Paulette's past leading men. So, it was up to Goddard to carry the film. It was made in 1948 and she was still on top. The film went on to have a semi-successful run.

Secret Beyond the Door

Made in 1947. "Secret Beyond the Door" is a memorable thriller from Hollywood's Golden Age. Joan Bennett is lovely and stylishly groomed in this shocker about a woman whose husband collects rooms where famous murders have occurred. One of the doors of those rooms always remains locked. Can you guess whose room it is? Bennett is enjoyable as the terrified wife and Michael Redgrave gives a good performance as the tormented husband. Anne Revere gives a realistic performance as his somewhat dominating sister. The eerie music is a big plus and the splendid cinematography adds just the right touch to the suspense. I would recommend this film for those who like a mystery with a forties flavor to it.

Recently I've watched "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and I will watch "X-Men First Class" :)

The Amazing Mr Williams

Made in 1939. What was there about 1939 that helped produce so many excellent Hollywood films? Well, whatever it was, the magic may also be found in this Columbia picture. It's a long forgotten screwball comedy that Turner Classic Movies has begun to show. (Maltin's movie book does not contain it.) In nearly every department, Amazing Mr. Williams is a jewel.
It's the story of a first-rate police detective who can never find the time to marry his intended. As the wedding bells are about to ring, he gets called to the scene of a murder. The lady in question has to learn the hard way not only to enjoy the pursuit of criminals but to belong to the police force. There are a lot of laughs in the process.

Melvyn Douglas proved again that he had few peers in light comedy. Joan Blondell was at the peak of her career and is a delight. Edward Brophy and Donald McBride are hilarious. The film goes on a bit too long, but who cares? The screwball comedies are always able to entertain, and this film belongs right in there with the best.

It Happened on Fifth Avenue

Made in 1947. This charming film had to vie with MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET for the Best Original Story Oscar of 1947. Although nominated, it lost out to the venerable Santa Claus tale, but both films share the same premise. A kindly soul enters the lives of a number of people and changes them for the better. Victor Moore is perfectly case as Aloysius T. McKeever, the mysterious hobo who winters in boarded up mansions on Fifth Avenue. He is obviously intelligent and seemingly was once wealthy himself, although we never learn of his origin or his story. While ensconced, he entertains and becomes involved in the lives of a number of disparate folks, including a group of GIs and their wives and children and the daughter, husband and wife owners of the mansion who for their own reasons mask their identities. The latter are estranged. By the end of the film as McKeever heads into the horizon, everyone's life is a little richer. Charles Ruggles and Ann Harding are perfect as the estranged millionaire and his wife, Gale Storm is radiant as their daughter, and Don DeFore does well as the GI romantic lead.

My personal award nominations would have included the charming Screenplay, the lavish Art Direction, and the amusing Score.This is a little gem worth pursuing.

Portrait of Jennie

Made in 1948. Eben Adams is a talented but struggling artist in Depression era New York who has never been able to find inspiration for a painting. One day, after he finally finds someone to buy a painting from him, a pretty but odd young girl named Jennie Appleton appears and strikes up an unusual friendship with Eben.

Portrait Of Jennie is a romance/drama/fantasy. It was produced by David Selznick, who produced most of Jennifer Jones films. Selznick is most remembered for producing one of the most famous films of all time 'Gone With The Wind". This film ranks toward the best producing effort of Selznick's career. This film features phenomenal scenes of 1940s NYC, haunting music, and a storyline that is unmatched for its category. Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten get an A+ each for their respective performances. Great supporting cast that includes Ethel Barrymore (who gives a fantastic performance), Lilian Gish (popular silent film actress), Cecil Kellaway, and more. Since this review contains no spoilers, I will just say that 'Portrait of Jennie' is in a category of its own when it comes to romance/drama/fantasy films. A must see for all fans of classic films. I rate this film 10/10. It is one of the finest films ever made.

Tammy and the Bachelor

Made in 1957. 5 years after "Singin' in the Rain," Debbie Reynolds cemented her standing in Hollywood and make herself even more likable to her fans, with her role of "Tammy." Tammy lives with her grandpa, played by Walter Brennan, on his boat in the Mississippi swamps. Being one with nature from a young age, she has come to know that material things do not make one happy, but instead a deep relationship with her bible and God. She has had a quiet yet very contented childhood, but only just lately she has been yearning for someone to swoop down and get her and wondering if anything will ever happen to her. Life and love hit her in the form of Leslie Nielsen, when his plane crashes close by. He leaves them after he has recovered, not knowing he's taking her heart with him. I could tell you more, but suffice it to say she is brought into his upper-crust world and brings a breath of fresh air with her.

If you love Debbie Reynolds and her buoyant personality, then this is a must for your list of films to see. The film may seem at times to be too simple and undemanding, but then again that's its appeal. It's a very fulfilling and uplifting little film. An added plus is seeing Debbie Reynolds singing, "Tammy," a very sweet song, which became a big hit for her own singing career. Costarring Mildred Natwick, who is yearning to break free from Leslie's eccentric family, this is a feel-good film that can be seen on TCM from time to time. If you miss it, it's your loss, and it's the reason why there's a smile on my face today. I can still see Debbie looking out the window singing, "Tammy, Tammy, Tammy's in love...

Back