Latest movie you saw..

Mystic Pizza

Made in 1988. Mystic Pizza_ would be remembered, if for no other reason, as the film that first made us pay attention to Julia Roberts. It also showcases the early talents of several other actors who later rose to some success and fame in the movies: Lili Taylor and Vincent Phillip D'Onofrio among them. Others in the cast have perhaps deserved better in their careers than they achieved, especially Annabeth Gish, but here they shine fresh and alive.Actually, the entire ensemble cast, including the minor parts, is excellent -- natural, unaffected, convincing performances. The story concentrates on three young women on the cusp of new lives -- marriage, college, responsibility -- and tracks them through that special summer between the childhood and adulthood. I think it was more unusual in 1988 to show female friendships and a female point of view than has perhaps become ten years later. The women are smart and individualized, surprising and interesting as people.

The men are less so. D'Onofrio has the most fully realized male character, the young fisherman who wants commitment, who wants to be more to his girl than just a sexual aid. The other two men, one a preppie in rebellion and the other a middle-aged married man looking for something he left behind, are mostly just occasions for the women to find some new grounding and growth. I am also very fond of this film for its insistence on finding one's way in the world by first finding out what is right thing to do, the right way to live.

Blue Jasmine

Made in 2013. Loved the script, loved the cast, loved all the performances, but dear God, Cate Blanchett was so incredible I couldn't catch a breath. What a performance! So many emotions at the same time, so multi-layered, subtle and yet unbearable.... She takes a character one normally wouldn't really care about where she ends up to someone, who despite her tragic and repeated mistakes and the fact that she made her own bed, you send up caring about, you end up understanding her.

Blanchett took a huge risk with that emotionally exposing role and proved herself to be master and commander. If any other actress had played that role, it wouldn't even be half as good. Her theatrical background and experience is all concentrated in in Jasmine. Heart-wrenching, powerful and utterly vulnerable at the same time, cruel but simultaneously caring in her very own way... It's the performance of the decade for me and one of the best of all times, a true masterclass. And as Letterman told Blanchett when she was a guest at his show (not really a fan of his but what he said was totally true), even if he had directed the film instead of Allen, the result would still have been a masterpiece because of Cate.

Kate & Leopold

Made in 2001. This is one of my all time favourite movies. I think it's quite a 'chick flick' though, so some guys may think it's just 'fine' while their girlfriends are swooning. Excellent for a girls' night in, or if you need cheering up. The screenplay is very intelligent, well structured, thought-provoking and truly funny - excellent writing. Whether or not you notice the detail, the overall effect is very entertaining. Hugh Jackman does a grand, grand job - he's an absolute delight and entirely convincing as the wise, noble and charismatic Leopold. A very memorable performance. Meg Ryan's character is the perfect modern counter to Hugh's. Liev Schreiber is also superb, although his character is in the background for much of the movie so his excellent (comedic) performance is easily overlooked unless you are paying attention.

The movie is also refreshing for its total absence of violence, profanity and overt sex - and proves how unnecessary these 'sensationalist' elements are to true entertainment. This is back to the good old days. It's also one of those movies that you can watch several times and always find something new - and reliably finish up grinning and buoyed each time. (I can't comprehend why anyone would care about Meg's haircut or the imperfections in the background time travel plot. That seems to be missing the point. The plot is the vehicle for the real story, rather than the story itself...which is about romance, comedy, and human values largely lost and sorely missed.)

The Theory of Everything

Back