Make forum register only?

make forum register only to read posts?

• yeah make it register only

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • leave it the way it is

Votes: 62 72.9%

• Total voters
+ 1...Dan keep it open, it´s the best way to add more people to the community...! :)

In time, the forum will get more users either way, but actually, i think more users will join if you leave it open to read. That way, people can have a look around and see what we're all about, and decide if they wanna sign up. People don't like to sign up before they know what they're signing up for.

My 0,02 $

i agree

I like the easy sign up. But some of these ppl are right. The more ppl on this site = more leechers. I'm in the middle.

Leave it open! It's better to let the people decide if the want to register or not. If they "must" do it, then there might be a big chance to have lot's of zero-posters wandering around. ; )

I agree leave it open!

I like it the way it is... At least, that's what attracted me to register ;)

Keep it open but........

if we get too many lurkers and all then things have to be changed:unsure:

I'd say leave it as is. Many listeners are casual and still love ah.fm. Maybe they don't want to take the time to register but they still very much enjoy reading. In time many of them will end up registering.

Honestly, I'm indifferent to this matter. It can go either way for me. :smile2:

I agree with the majority. Leave it open so people can see what AH is about and decide to join or not. A totally closed forum would be like shopping for something and being unable to see the product or the price tag. How can you hope to buy under conditions like that?

If you can't see the product, in this case, the conversations that takes place on the forum, what people talk about, the personalities that hang out there, how could you know if you wanted to buy it?

If you can't see the price tag, in this case, the fact that it is User Supported via donations, and thus FREE to the Great Unwashed Masses, how can you decide if you can afford to buy it?

I see this kind of thing increasingly in stores all the time. The product is packaged so securely and locked down so tightly that you can't even look at it to determine if it will even vaguely meet your needs. And to make it worse, it's priceless. No price tag on the item itself, nor the shelf or hook that it is on. Even if I REALLY, REALLY think that I want it, if it's offered to me under those conditions, I turn my back and walk away. I obviously DON'T want to buy it from them.

Leaving it open gives an added bonus that you do NOT generally see in stores, Try-It-Before-You-Buy-It. It's how I joined. Someone told me about it and I came and listened and browsed the threads. Yeah. I liked it, so I joined. Granted, I didn't become ACTIVE until Certain Events occurred, but nonetheless, I joined because I was able to look at the Threads to get the overall "tone" of the Forum, which I liked very much, and because the music WAS/IS MY STYLE. If the Forum had been closed, my "shopping" visit here would have lasted all of 10 seconds, if that.

No. It's exactly perfect just the way that it is. :super::cat:

Last edited:
Most of the time I join a forum because I am reading something and get an urge to respond. On extreme occasions I join because I KNOW exactly what it's about, or I'm already impressed.

In Ah.FM's case, I was already impressed, and I hadn't even seen the website yet (had a stream link I found..)

guys... question was asked 2 years ago and they had their answers ... so no need to reply 2 years after imo ;)

rolleyesks0.gif

oh is it?
as it seems not, I tried to check just one thread today and was greeted by "no permission" and the log in box. tried a couple of other threads - just the same.
well, so I did log on and didn't mind but if this is how it will be, forums members only, it will backfire, a lot of lurkers who watch the threads and then when the right time/set/circumstance arrives they eventually sign up.
this opportunity is gone now and some peeps just won't bother and read somewhere else.
maybe some will sign up but still not post.
looks great on the members count but it's nothing but a statistic.
two german words spring to mind for which I don't have a translation - "Ausgrenzung" and "Karteileiche".

keep certain areas "hidden" non-registered users can watch announcements and showthreads - for the rest they need to register?

keep certain areas "hidden" non-registered users can watch announcements and showthreads - for the rest they need to register?
as far as am working with php based forum there's a possibility to make some topics only for users and some to leave for everybody. 50/50 :grinning:

Hi

Leave it open!!!!!!!

If guests see the great community and how ppl do together here in a family way they may decide to join...if its register only ppl will stay away coz of thinking "elite-community" no thanks

Hi

Leave it open!!!!!!!

If guests see the great community and how ppl do together here in a family way they may decide to join...if its register only ppl will stay away coz of thinking "elite-community" no thanks

:iagree:

i'm with you on that Jaycan:iagree:

Back