Software Mixing

Do you think using software to create sets constitutes the artist as a 'DJ' ?

• Yes

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Depends (on Various Reasons..please explain)

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Dont particularly care - trance is trance whichever medium it is created in

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
ever heard of Eastbam, he used to "spin" tapes at a time when his native Latvia was still part of the USSR

goa gil does that too :)

2177849931_cf6f0d16f8.jpg

Goa%20Gil9.jpg

this is my vote....

Dont particularly care - trance is trance whichever medium it is created in
Musicdj05.gif

nuff said :music:

PS: good thing DJ lithium doesnt visit the AH forums regarding this topic :bully:

Dont particularly care - trance is trance whichever medium it is created in
Musicdj05.gif

nuff said :music:

PS: good thing DJ lithium doesnt visit the AH forums regarding this topic :bully:

the trance god has spoken lolz

I use a Numark TotalControl MIDI controller to mix with... along with Numark Cue software. Works just fine for almost anything... and is a lot more portable. Using software alone would just be terrible though... just not enough control, ie: you can't do more than one thing at once.

I'd fully agree that DJ'ing is the art of creating a party and getting the crowd going... facilitating a music experience. As long as you can do that, it doesn't matter how you do it. I get sick of hearing vinyl purists bitching and moaning about CDJ's and software.

Last edited:
For what I have been seeing so far, a lot of Djs have been switching to Serato because you only need a laptop, a few cds and you are pretty much set.

A Dj that I photograph often uses a pair of DVJ-1000s, a Macbook (it's a few years old and I forget the model) and that's it. Well, he has two turntables (Technics SL1200) so he can use the Serato control records if he needs to. He also uses video switching gear for the videos and it delivers the goods.

The only thing that I notice with Serato is that the bass can be a bit tinny.

With Serato, is all about convenience. No longer you have to carry crates and bags of records and cds. They are all in your laptop's hard drive.

BUT, as a person that grew up on cassette tapes and vinyl I can say that I will always have a fondness for them.

As long as the music sounds great and the end product is too then, I do not have much to copmplain about:hug:

Abominus:icecream:

Well, as listener, I don't care what the DJ use to mix, but I will vote YES, because software mixing is one step forward toward DJing development.

I would love to get my hands on some CDJs to mix with, and yes the control is sooo much better then software. But right now i'm glad there is software I can use that will allow me to do some mixing. Otherwise i wouldn't be able to dj until i could afford cdjs.

Teh BEST SETS I heard were SoFTWARE Mixed, Software MixeD SetZ are alwayz linked to a BeTTER and WiSeR Selection AND Mixing, ALL the Trance Ch00n Production constitutes SOFTWARE Mixing in its CORE, so Who the in the World would be silly enough as to say that the CONTINUATION of this process into the SETS wont results in a higher quality of production and joy?

SOFTWARE MIXING FTW!11

:choon:

Last edited:
Of course no.
If it was like that, we'd have ended up having every third person being a dj, which of course is sheer bull. To be a DJ does require something more relevant than setting up a pirate software, applying horrible mixing with a bunch of random pirate tracks and exporting an mp3.

if you want to be taken seriously, 1) get rid of the color, 2) spell properly, and 3) bring some actual arguments. otherwise you're making a joke out of yourself.

I couldn't care less to be taken SERIOUSLY by JOKERS like YOURSELF, fool:p You make me laugh, thx!

-> GO Back to teh silly BATMAN movie! PWND :P

Last edited:
Of course no.
If it was like that, we'd have ended up having every third person being a dj, which of course is sheer bull. To be a DJ does require something more relevant than setting up a pirate software, applying horrible mixing with a bunch of random pirate tracks and exporting an mp3.

You seem to be OVER-JELOUS, and MAJORLY MISLEAD mai Russian KOMRAD :D but thats not surprising.

Don't really care how it is mixed as long as it's done properly and there are good tracks.:music:

Furthermore I don't think many people hear the difference.:whistle:

Don't really care how it is mixed as long as it's done properly and there are good tracks.:music:

Furthermore I don't think many people hear the difference.:whistle:

Agree.
IMO, everybody is a DJ, who makes a mix (whether using software or hardware) - and the quality is decent.

Yet software gives you more attention to the other details you wouldnt be capable to notice or manage to do with hardware, you know rather doing...lets say 5 steps you do 3 steps with more concentration; so you get a better final product at the end.

you guys got a real point brewing here, i do a podcast and you ableton but i also spin in clubs, its tru that its all about the finished product but with software you dont have to have any skill just the abilityl to learn HOW to mix, if i were to tech someone to make a mix on software it would take about 5 hours, but with decks it can take years to perfect it!!

goa gil does that too :)

2177849931_cf6f0d16f8.jpg

Goa%20Gil9.jpg
:super:i thought noboy knew who he was, he has good stuff.

but i use Virtual Dj, ive made two sets so far, both sound way different, transitinos sound very different also, software programs is for starters i guess. once you have a good feeling for it you can go pro with the real things. but if you have a good set and nice choons that everyone likes, it doesnt matter what you use

Bravooo

I've been to a club in belfast called "shine"
(alot of progressive and tech stuff is payed there, good club)

The dj was mixing entirely from his laptop..
The dancefloor was pumping :super:
U gotta stick with the times, and computers are as much the future as they are the present.

I think using a "program" to mix "live" to an audience, would therefore enable the person to be called a "DJ".

:bravo:
I agree....Its about the music....at least 90 Percent of the time, the crowd has no idea what the dj is using in the first place..they couldn't be bothered if it was vinyl or CDJ or software...they just love what he is doing with the music...
Just cos its easier to use software doesn't mean it is selling out...Software is making it easier for people who love music to express themselves easily and without burning holes in their pockets....You don't have to do it the hard way to appreciate it.....Long Live Trance!!!
:music:

Recently I had the chance to tour with Delerium, where we played theaters and ballrooms across the US and Canada rather than the usual DJ booths in clubs. It was a refreshing change, but also an important reminder that you need to keep your live shows fresh and interesting. Crowds want to see a compelling performance—watching some well-coiffed chubster spinning on a pair of CDJs really isn’t that exciting. The beauty of the software world, when paired with a hardware controller, is that you can change your setup to suit your tastes. You’re not married to the effects on your DJ mixer, and you can piece together your dream mixer from scratch—making changes on the plane or in the hotel room minutes before a gig. Everyone does it differently, and most people immediately take off the preset overlay and stash it with the manual, so I wanted to share some tips and techniques on how to spice up your rig.

My DJ setup consists of an Allen & Heath Xone 3D mixer and Ableton Live 7 software. Make the jump for some ways I set things up for my shows…

Morgan Page | BPM Magazine

Back