Software Mixing

Do you think using software to create sets constitutes the artist as a 'DJ' ?

• Yes

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Depends (on Various Reasons..please explain)

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Dont particularly care - trance is trance whichever medium it is created in

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
i think clicking around on a laptop is even less exciting though :ee:

overall i disagree with that statement though. people want to hear good music - the "performance" itself is only second important.

It's a tricky one really, but I voted no. Personally I think software mixing has more in common with production than actual DJing.

That's not to say it's not a valid way of doing things, it's just different. Pre-mixing sets with software lacks the spontenaity of live DJ-ing though, I reckon, but it does iron out the annoying technical errors you get since you can go back on yourself and redo bits you got wrong - a luxury you don't get as a DJ! Similarly you can mix a set whilst lying on the sofa watching TV - again, a luxury you don't get as a DJ :grinning2:

Ultimately I know it's the music and not the medium that counts, but I remember seeing Adam Sheridan do an Ableton set a couple of years ago. Sounded great, nice skills, but he was so busy concentrating that didn't look up from his laptop at the crowd once.

Later that night, Alex MORPH played using CDJs. His mixing was a bit off but he was leaping around like a maniac, shaking hands with the clubbers, loving every second, and he tore the roof off the place. I still rate it as one of my top 5 sets I've seen live in a club.

For me though, when I'm a clubber or a listener, the medium is irrelevant so long as tune selection is spot on. As a DJ though, I rate the mediums like this:

• Mixing with vinyl on 1210's feels like operating machinery
  • Mixing with CDs on CDJs feels like fiddling with the stereo
  • Mixing with software on a laptop feels like being at work

depend of how you use the software. i think djs using software with auto bmp syncronization (:no:) may be less talented than a dj who beatmatches itself in hearphone. Beatmatching is the best skill of a dj, if you can't beatmatch you are not so good. Obviously you must have other qualtity if you aim to be best dj of the world :wink:

there are also program in which you put the songs in the tracklist, you align them, deciding what kind of transition use and the application makes all itself: even who doesn't know anything about bmp, beatmaching, loop,.... can be a "dj". it's unfair.

i'm very very beginner dj: i use hercules dj control with djdecks: the only automation i use are: loop and the autobmp that is NOT auto beatmatching: it only make the two tracks go at the same bmp (yes, yes i know that maths is not an opinion, but if i count myslef a song going @ 138bmp seems to me going @ 140bmp...:wall: ) . i make the beatmaching with the headphone and the PRACTICE .

DJing is an ART: DON'T use software that make all the work while you only sit on a chair watching and waiting the program finishes to compile your mix...

DJing is a state of mind regardless of the tool used......Do we not all use software to make Music???? So why not in the MIX???

I've watched this argument rage.........and to be honest why?

Should we not be welcoming the new wave of talent and showcasing the new ability to manipulate the latest music and provide the best show for all fans regardless of the hardware or software?

Please remember the old argument vinyl vs cd's?? and look what happened?

So now it has changed to cdj's vs software?? answers on a postcard please lol!!!

Personally I have had all 3 system (2x 1210's mk3 Pioneer DJM800) then moved to 2 x CDJ1000's.....now I run traktor 3.2.2 with or without the mixer.....and the results are amazing the new software rocks!!!!

So my vote goes with the software!!! It's a new art form and new style of DJ'ing with alot more control......

The big thing is guys and girls is cost!!!!

Hardware costs vs Software costs.....you can all do the maths???

I think software will not doubt win because of cost, simplicity and functionality bottom line....but don't take my word for it LOL !!! only time will tell...

And for all you's guys/girls that are still stayin true to old Skool vinyl....give software a go!!!

You'll neva know unless you give it try???

Last edited:
the more advanced and "easy" tools the more it demands of actual booth presence, crowd interaction etc :)..

saw Ronski @ ASOT400 - what he didnt have in techinical abilites and super tight mixing - he had in an outstanding boothpresence - he was insane - was by far one of the best booth performances i've ever seen :)

the more advanced and "easy" tools the more it demands of actual booth presence, crowd interaction etc :)..

saw Ronski @ ASOT400 - what he didnt have in techinical abilites and super tight mixing - he had in an outstanding boothpresence - he was insane - was by far one of the best booth performances i've ever seen :)

He was going quite crazy, it was excellent to see :dance:

There's just something I find about software mixing...

I mean, you can hook your CDJ's up to a PC or Mac or what not, and have a perfect set with a great set of gear in front of you. But the reality of the situation, is the fact that you can mix an entire set with just that one laptop, you don't really need any real hardware anymore. With the level of advancement seen in these programs, all you need is a computer and a good piece of sofware.

You think back to the days of the super-star house dj's, and the first generation of trance DJ's and what not, and you can bet they only dreamed of programs like Serato, or even CDJs for that matter.

I personally find CDJ's to be a real DJ tool. They're a classic turntable, but designed for the 21st century. It's hard to really consider a pure software DJ 'talented', you could only call him educated (on how to use a computer program).

Should we not be welcoming the new wave of talent and showcasing the new ability to manipulate the latest music and provide the best show for all fans regardless of the hardware or software?

'nuff said IMO

Software mixing is cheating, simple as that :)

Some of the software still requires a fair bit of knowledge and skill to use well.... programs that automix for you are definitely cheating.

HMMMMM

Think these things are totaly diferrent & they should not be mixed together.....
software mixing is software mixing & hardware mixing is hardware mixing ,totaly different things and methods .....disc jockey is dj & software is sj:lol::lol:
both are good ways

Think these things are totaly diferrent & they should not be mixed together.....
software mixing is software mixing & hardware mixing is hardware mixing ,totaly different things and methods .....disc jockey is dj & software is sj:lol::lol:
both are good ways

Exactly. Hardware and software mixing is totally different. Some software programs commonly used by DJs like Ableton Live can't even be considered software DJ apps - its just volume and EQ level adjustments that simulate mixing with a mixer and decks.

The 2 are totally different and shouldn't be compared like this!

Exactly...we shouldn't compare between the 2...as long as the set is good, it doesn't matter what he/she is using.
Of course if someone has dj decks, it's better to use them coz it saves time & effort. If not, then software is no problem (keeping in mind that software mixing also requires knowledge)

Software Mixing is a timesaver! :) - i should be using less time when making a set in a program - but i end up spending ages on trackselection etc. and tweaking every little detail of it - i just dont think as much when im behind proper decks - and its exactly that that makes software ideal for radioshows - i've always used software for that exact purpose :)

you can do exactly the same with software, go with the flow, if you are good enough you should be able to get your set sounding as good on either software or hardware

to say that software requires no skill only shows ignorance, there's people that make statements such as "anyone can mix with software" that haven't even tried it for themselves, can't even tell the difference between a software and hardware set

yes, automix programs are cheating

Back