Why did you start listen to trance?

oh yeah!!!!!

Really interesting subject :D

My story is really crazy too :)

When I was 8 or 9 years old, my father was really fan of Jean Michel Jarre... I loved it and listened his compilations so it's a beginning of my trance influence (with the synth ;) ).

After that, when I was 12 or 13 years old (was in 2000), I listened to everything (rock, hip hop, trance) but trance was the only kind of music I bought some CDs like Darude, Tiesto or an old TOP 100 Trance. I was really fan of Darude ^^

14 years old, black period, I listen to trance (ATB, Tiesto...) but I became really fan of nu metal with some bands like Rammstein, P.O.D, Papa Roach, and then, few years later, some Emocore or Screamo (I already liked emotion music :D). I listened 90% of that and 10% trance maybe.

So 4 years later, I get definately fan of EDM, but which EDM ? Jumpstyle because I began to go in the clubs and It was the kind of music I prefer... But, happily, I rapidly got into trance again, and especially, dance like Lasgo, Milk Inc, Sylver ^^ That was in May or June 2006.

I finished secondary school and so went to high school where I met 2 friends (that I already know a bit before but I didn't really speak a lot with them), fan of trance. I told them I really like this kind of music and they gave me a set of Armin Van Buuren at Trance Energy 2006. And, that was the moment I really fell in love with TRANCE music. Arctic Quest - Renaissance, Simon Patterson - Us, that's 2 tracks I remember a lot \o/

19th September 2006, first trance event for me with Armin Van Buuren, Markus Schulz... Trance definately enter in my life !!!

Since that moment, I did a lot of trance events, it's a necessity for me, a reason to live \o/ ! A moment to feel an unity :) So, I did Trance Energy 2007 and 2008, some Armin Only, some Tiesto's gigs, Luminosity at The Beach, Full On Ferry, some Tomorrowland... I have maybe 14, 15 trance events in 2 years.

I started to listen Afterhours in march or april 2007 ;) The best webradio for me :)

And now ? now, I'm becoming a DJ/Producer and I really want to get into the scene one day ;)
I'm part of a belgian community too where I make some interviews and a lot of different things.

Why I listen to trance so ?

Because this kind of music is unique !! The audience still poor but that's because trance has to be understood, has to be lived, has to be feeled... Nowadays, It really helps me to have a smile on my face every moment, I love my life more now than before and It's because I become fan of trance :)
I feel these breakdowns, basslines, acids, that's a great sensation :D

To answer some people here, I really feel the energy in a trance event, especially at Trance Energy where there are only fans and you can feel the unity... I'm OK to say that there are some tourists at trance parties but there still a lot of people, dancing and living the trance music until 7 AM (Full On Ferry is an example). And, I can see a lot of young people now, enjoying, jumping hands in air and staying until the end where the mood is the best...
With Be-Dance, we were 30 to Armin Only in Belgium, we are all living for trance and we feel that music so sometimes, I don't appreciate when it said that the contact has been lost with the dancefloor. I listened 9 or 10 hours trance a day but I do 9, 10 trance events a year so i can't considered me as a home listener. That's just I want to listen my fav music, the one I live for now...

Lastly, I'm not really agree with More83... Breakdowns are great in a club. I don't go in a trance club just to listen and dance, meet girls, id est. I go in a trance club to live that music with some friends and get an amazing moment with the DJs... Breakdowns are really important and, no you don't dance on it, you just feel it and imagine. An then, the kicks and the bassline come back and it's an energy & emotion downpour at same time. A sensation I'll nearly kill to live :) (3rd degrees) ^^

That is my opinion ;)

And you ?

AMAZING!!!! I am a trancecommunity.com elite, yet i'm not as active anymore....but i love these forums that talk about trance because there is hardly anyone in miami, fl who loves the "trance" atmosphere...its mostly house and commercial stuff. But anyways i love the way you tell your story because it reminds me of how i started loving trance at such a young age. To be quite honest when i first heard it i didn't know what it was, but i knew i was in love with the sounds. If i recall correctly, i was about seven or eight when i first heard ATB- don't stop and i witnessed a glowsticking circle and that's when i realized how amazing it was, yet i wasn't really aware of what it was. Maybe before then when i was much younger i wasn't really aware of the type of music it was, but i knew that those were my sounds that expressed who i was. Most definitely ATB was my first sound though, at least the one I was aware of. I didn't know the name of the track until like six years later. Fifth grade and on, i was eleven in fifth grade, so eleven years old and on, I was already aware of the legends Tiesto and Armin, there was a local radio station that would play their tracks in miami. It was called party 93.1 the pure dance station. I was mind blown and boggled and anything else that happens to one's brain when it climaxes. I knew i was in love. Yet it went down a year later and I grew angry, that was the only known source of trance i had. I did not know about youtube back then, and even that wouldn't help since i didn't know the name of most of the tracks. It wasn't until seventh grade that i bought myself albums like, parade of the athletes- tiesto, Paul van Dyk- reflections, and 76- armin van buuren. These three cds kept me going through the dark ages. Afterward, I began buying songs off of itunes and taht was about eighth grade, it was then that I began to grow more savvy of the trance music and my library of songs and artists grew, which limewire also helped, along with piratebay (thank you both a million times) Then ever since twelfth grade and on is where the obsession has truly grown strong and now I am completely in love with Aly & Fila and soundlift, and there are too many more to name, but I love them all just as much. I have grown up loving trance, it has been my most faithful lover and my one true love actually. Without a doubt trance is a word that defines me entirely. God bless Trance always, and all those who follow the essence of what is Trance music.....

p.s. You can only feel trance, never try to listen to it...cause if you do...then you don't know what trance really is......

Long story, but progressed into it via:

- classical music
- jean-michel jarre
- brian eno
- mike oldfield
- Kraftwerk
- (a little) tangerine dream

That's sort of the basis. Then remixes in the 80'ies, New Order running in front with Blue Monday.

Well... first heard of my religion called Trance at begin of 21th century - got then not many music and sloooooow modem internet (64kbit/s by tel., anyone remember this?). My friend gave me couple of tracks - most of them were pop, but find there a one little pearl - "Exploration of Space". Asked friend about other tracks like his and then it's began. For first i was listening only few and these most popular tracks.

Few years, many genres in my ears, technologies changes... and then - 2008. I was searching something on net while i heard by a chance "New Moonlight" by Ashley Wallbridge. It changed my mind for sure. Not much later - My Blood by the same producer and i just loved in trance. It was definitely this moment, when trance became my life.

Why? Hmm... Since i remember being love in touching melodies. As every (ok, not every, most of) man strong beat also give me a pleasure. Trance includes both. Trance is emotional, hard, melodies... Trance is just Trance, something hard to describe. ;)

I would hear a bit of my daughter's CD player now and then around 2001-2002 (I remember GateCrasher Digital). One of the tracks really captivated me (and still does): Charlie May - Vorab:
http://www.myspace.com/music/charlie-may-22502561/songs/vorab-53563025http://www.myspace.com/charliemay/music/songs/vorab-53563025

In 2008 a colleage sent me the following email:

I discovered this type of music called trance. It's something that you could make on a computer. All you need is a program to generate geometric patterns on your computer screen. However, it hasn't worked for me.

After that I sporadically tuned in from time to time and heard some cool stuff, so I made a mental note to start learning about the EDM types. As I started reading about trance I started seeing names like Paul Oakenfold and John Digweed, and recognized them as being my daughter's music folder names, which I had managed to pretty much ignore since I was into much more acoustic stuff (like lute music!)

I started tuning in more often about the time of Unearthed Records Day 2010-04-30 and started becoming more aware that there were huge differences in the care taken by DJs to choose and blend tracks together to make the set greater than the sum of its parts.

My journey to this date started in the mid 70´s when we where forced at school to see a movie called " Childrens Island" form a book with the same name. In the movie the music was from Jean Michel Jarres album- Oxygene, I started to listen to everything he did and then in the late 80´s early 90´s when the first kind of house music came.. Snap, KLF, N-Trance, FLEX...and so on, then came a real BOMB; Dune- Hard core wibes in 1995... I was at the point of no return. Then one choone after another came. I have my own house god still and the only reason... I just love him! When I heard " We move like shadows" for the first time my heart was sold away. Dear Johan Gielen! Of course I listen to all new things and enjoy them aswell, but when I want to have a quiet time on my own I return to the happy times around the years 1999-2001 when trance was NOT about the money but only fun....

Last edited:
Around 1993-4 or 5 I was a young teenager and had a strict bedtime.:thumbsdown: Of course I wasn't really tired... so I would listen with my Walkman and headphones under my pillow. The major radio station 102.1 in Dallas Texas reached out to my far away home and one night I tuned in and heard these totally different sounds in my ear! I even remember smiling like I was tuned in to alien sounds and the best part was I couldn't describe what I was hearing. I never told anyone and actually forgot that I had tuned in to this regular show called "Edge Club" which was broadcasting live a the World Famous Lizard Lounge > (by the way, April 30th 2011 Marcus Schossow with special guest Neon Tiger:dance3:at the Lizard Lounge Dallas TX!!).

So a few years later, starting college I went to parties where you stay up late and practice glow sticks with your crazy friends listening to In Search of Sunrise Vol 1: Tiesto and Northern Exposure: Sasha/Digweed and Out There and Back: Paul van Dyk. Then of course my first DJ show to experience all by myself with none other than one of greats, PAUL OKENFOLD (Red Jacket Dallas TX October 1998) ~ what an experience!:wow:

But years LATER randomly having a conversation about the history of dance music in Dallas, someone mentioned to me the Edge Club and how it used to broadcast on the local radio station back in the day! It was then that I REMEMBERED tuning in when I was a young girl and realized that I have had the dance music seed planted in me before there was DJ MAG polls and ASOT 500 etc.

So that is how I feel EDM/Trance found me (or how I started to listen)!

The end.

Or actually the beginning!:music:

I listened to Emotional Trance, then I started to like Trance more and more.

I started playing trance in 1996 after going to my local record shop and hearing Moonman 'Don't be afraid'. That day I bought around 20 trance records and played them at my residency @ Heaven in London, the response was amazing, and from that night I gained a few new residences from promoters hearing me playing the fresh new sound. I've flirted with other styles during my DJ career but trance has been, and always will be the love of my life :)

Uuhm i dont know why.
But i always liked the tune :D
When i was about 5 years old i already listened to trance on the telivsion.
Tiesto was Huge Big ass deal back then :D
Still is but not asbig as 12 years ago(a)

And i alwaysknew that some day in the future i'd be one of the people in the crowd :D
Well im 17 now..
most trancefestivals are 18+
So one more year!!:D

My ex-boss showed me psy-trance in 2005, then one thing went to another and here i am. :smile:

Last night:mask::megacrazy:

Started in the early 90's, when I was 5-6 years old, listening to Jean Michel Jarre, especially his old albums like Oxygen, Equinoxe and Magnetic Fields. Listened to these albums for several years and tried to expand my search around the second millenium. First set I ever listened to was by accident when I found Tiësto - Live At Club Space 2002 and found it very moody and special. I checked almost every single producer in that set and that way came through a lot of trance sets, dj's and producers. 2 years later i discovered Tiësto - Energy 2000, which still is the best live, trance set ever imo. In 2007-8 I found Afterhours and now I listen to pretty much every single genre in EDM.

Back