New DJ Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good indeed to make hardware competitions only, but I can only use my pc for mixing right now... I have just 11 vinyls and no cdj stuff :S

i would love to participate, but i do not have the equipment. I can only use my computer for these kind of mixes, software like virtual DJ. but this is againsta the rules...

...adjusting the overall volume...

that'll be normalisation then?
nothing else like compression I understand!?!
but I can still use stuff like EFX 500 in the mix or is setup purely decks and mixer and nada mas?

normalization, compression, clipping, limiting etc are all ok, as long as its done equally on the whole set and doesnt alter the perceived sound.

any other hardware gear you have is ok too, such as send/return fx stuff. it just has to used "live" while mixing, not applied afterwards in any way.

This is a great idea... I essentially signed up just to a be a part haha. Just waiting for some new tracks to finish downloading (paid for them of course) and I'll start on my set. Out of curiosity, how many submissions were there last month?

last month we had 9 submissions, which is quite a nice number. the rules for how often a certain dj can submit sets are still not completely worked out, so watch out for updates regarding that.

maybe we can have special contest months, in which we allow software mixed sets only, ableton, traktor, vdj and all that. maybe next month? :)

** No post-processing of the recording whatsoever is allowed, with the exception of basic things like adjusting the volume (as a whole) or trimming the ends. The set must be recorded in one piece and the recording must sound exactly as the DJ themselves could hear it while recording/mixing it.

Am I to assume this means we cannot add afterhours jingles? :mask:

Ableton still not supported?

Its possible that there will be a software competition at some point in the near future, keep checking back for more details

Ok. But software competition mean using more effects and some tips in mix. I don't think that DJs will do it in their shows.:hmmm:

Albeton is becoming more popular even with big names in shows. I've seen many DJ around here using it in combination with their decks. Of course they dont use Albeton only and some DJ's refuse to use it haha, but I wouldn't say that software is non-existant from live shows. And even at that, some DJ's load on the effects so heavy that it wouldn't even matter if it was software enhanced lol. Just my .02 (canadian)

Ive only seen ableton used live with 'live pa' Ottaviani uses Ableton when he does his Live Production.

I think DJing (going from track to track) with ableton is cheating... my personal opinion

I did start to use ableton but DJing as a whole lost its scare factor/being on edge (will i **** up?) and therefore became abit of a bore.

I think DJing (going from track to track) with ableton is cheating... my personal opinion

I did start to use ableton but DJing as a whole lost its scare factor/being on edge (will i **** up?) and therefore became abit of a bore.

I agree with you, in case the DJ uses it just for "beatmatching" and doesn't make use of any other features Ableton has.

So I guess that "mixing and technical skill" will be replaced by "creativity". In case someone just plays one track after the other and does a little bit of EQing, he gets zero points here. I mean, anyone can make nice transitions with Ableton. This would force the DJs to be more creative, using loops, using only certain parts of a track, maybe even make live mashups, things like that.

Just my 2 cents, now the Ableton users can kill me :cat:

(yes I know that the cat doesn't make any sense here, but I always wanted to use it somewhere)

I dont care for anything fancy that DJs do - if you play good music, and it flows nicely then your job is done...no need for crazy fx, mash ups, cut ups, or anything like that

I dont care for anything fancy that DJs do - if you play good music, and it flows nicely then your job is done...no need for crazy fx, mash ups, cut ups, or anything like that

Yeah, but it's way easier to make a nice set with ableton than with CDJs or TTs. I just think that it's a bit unfair to judge an ableton set by the same criteria as a set made with CDJs or TTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back