EOYC 2012 Community Contest Rules, Info & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its good to get criticism ab your mix.. it can make you better and better :)
Thanks mr. Lion :) will listen yours personally to :D

Not sure why people take criticism so personally? Everyone has their own opinion. But, at the same time you have to take into consideration what some of the feedback is and evaluate on your own to confirm if you agree or not. DJs that take every criticism personally have no chance of developing or exceeding to next level. Also there is no DJ here that can claim they never make mistakes. We all do in some way or another so again don't take things so seriously. Those that do should never enter contests because isn't that the whole purpose of a contest? In my book a contest is a competition where one is compared to another. I know few DJs that flipped off when I told them all the things they do wrong. But, hey they don't have to take my word for it or anyone elses. If one thinks he or she is that good that they need to make zero changes then they need to be playing at massive events and not applying for contests. That's my 2 cents =)

:iagree: :iagree: Well said :bravo:

Every DJ makes mistakes all the time, it's part of the process - but learning to take criticism is one of the most important things you can ever learn to do. Even if your sets are flawless there are still people who won't like them, and they're perfectly entitled to feel that way if they choose to, as well, as music taste is a personal choice at the end of the day :)

The only advice I could give anyone when approaching a contest like this would be this - anyone can make a list of beautiful words that they like and put them in a sentence, but poetry comes in putting the right words in the right order :wink:

True Lazerus.. everybody has an other taste of music :)

:iagree: :iagree: Well said :bravo:

Every DJ makes mistakes all the time, it's part of the process - but learning to take criticism is one of the most important things you can ever learn to do. Even if your sets are flawless there are still people who won't like them, and they're perfectly entitled to feel that way if they choose to, as well, as music taste is a personal choice at the end of the day :)

The only advice I could give anyone when approaching a contest like this would be this - anyone can make a list of beautiful words that they like and put them in a sentence, but poetry comes in putting the right words in the right order :wink:

+111111

anyone can make a list of beautiful words that they like and put them in a sentence, but poetry comes in putting the right words in the right order :wink:
23502435.jpg

Usually mixed in key is applied for short transitions in my opinion, withing 4bits or so so that keeps the flow going.
That's an interesting point. Until now, I haven't seen it that way.

Long transitions are more towards creating mash-ups, yet the right key combinations is very helpful. However, mash-up are usually created in a production software rather than using 2 decks and a mixer.
I haven't done many mashups, yet (with production software of course). But in my experience it is essential for a mashup to use tracks that have compatible keys unless you use only unmelodious samples of one track.

Remember that the only way to mix two tracks that have huge difference in BPMs is using the mixed in key approach.
Can you please explain that? I don't understand what the difference is to mixing tracks of similar BPM and why mixing in key is the only way to mix tracks which have huge difference in BPM.

Sorry for being off topic.

BTW I appreciate feedback to my set.

ok, let's continue
33 Ole Petersson (60:47) - one of club trance sets I heard today. Totally smashing energetic set. I think this set would destroy the clubs....very good...
34 Mikey K (61:57) - worse than 33rd set (IMO), but it's good, too. Very good mashups, mate! and your mixing is good.
35 DJ Verdastro (59:37) - hmmm...136BPM progressive set? I like this!
36 DjJohn (60:00) - Awesome selection of tracks, but I think you should improve your mixing abilities.
37 Andromedha (61:47) - Me Gusta!! :)
38 Replicate (60:34) - not bad, not bad.....50/50
39 Gate Of Paradise (61:58) - In progress...
40 Mannie Kumar (59:58) - in progress...

Thank's 4 short review and positive,constructive criticism. Greets from Poland! ;)

06 Lokki - EOYC 2012 Contest
Many of you know Lokki and his passion for uplifting trance, and that definitely shines through here. Technically there's not much wrong with this set. Some of the transitions are a bit messy and fast-paced, but I liked each individual track. Since it is a complete uplifting set, there is a lack of flow, but still very enjoyable due to the track-selection.

thank you very much Kata for your feedback.

ok, let's continue
33 Ole Petersson (60:47) - one of club trance sets I heard today. Totally smashing energetic set. I think this set would destroy the clubs....very good...
34 Mikey K (61:57) - worse than 33rd set (IMO), but it's good, too. Very good mashups, mate! and your mixing is good.
35 DJ Verdastro (59:37) - hmmm...136BPM progressive set? I like this!
36 DjJohn (60:00) - Awesome selection of tracks, but I think you should improve your mixing abilities.
37 Andromedha (61:47) - Me Gusta!! :)
38 Replicate (60:34) - not bad, not bad.....50/50
39 Gate Of Paradise (61:58) - In progress...
40 Mannie Kumar (59:58) - in progress...
Thank you for your feedback, DJ Alex The Lion. I liked your set, too. :friends:

For me I could tell, my style is for some people impossible or this is just my thinking, but im listening to many genres, including from uplifting trance to underground sounds of deep progressive, like breakbeat, psybient, ambient, downtempo. Sometimes it is hard to balance this, current trance scene just dont give me enough sometimes and deep sounds bring more than just an ordinary (emotional) uplifting track. Ive found some great progressive sets here @ Contest and will gladly give a vote for them.
Just my opinion.

I've listened to 10 more sets (12-21), and here is the ones I really enjoyed:

16. MiMaMix - Wow! Absolutely massive uplifting journey, definitely must enter the top14. This set is #1 for me till the date.

Really thank you for the great feedback. This is much more we ever expected and a good motivation for us. Also downloading all the sets and want to listen to them. This takes time :).

11 DJ Pavle - EOYC 2012 Contest
Very solid opening track! Be careful you don't mix the tracks to fast as some of the tracks melodies tends to overlap each other. Again, superb energy and power; A real treat for uplifting fans. Like I said before, a 100% uplifting set lacks some flow, and that's also the problem here. You can still make a very uplifting set with a flow by picking a slower first track and try to build it up from there. Nice set though, enjoyed it!

12 Distant Moon - EOYC 2012 Contest
Great track for a uplifting set, you actually manage to pick a relative slow track as an opener and then pick it up from there. The transition between track 2 and 3 could be a bit better, but overall I think you did a pretty good job at mixing your tracks. Also nice you picked a few vocal tracks. Again, a very uplifting set with difficult transitions, but all in all, pretty good!

13 DJ Alex The Lion - EOYC 2012 Contest
Great to hear an intro mix as it sets the mood for the rest of the set. Oh, and this set is also uplifting! A real treat for uplifting fans so far! Work a bit more on your transitions as some of them lose some energy and ruins the general flow. Try work a bit more on beat-matching as well. I think you did a nice job at picking a bit more unheard of uplifting tracks, for me at least, but it lacks a bit of flow. It constantly travels through the 138BPM journey, which some definitely will approve though.

14 Lucas Deyong - EOYC 2012 Contest
Couldn't download it, unfortunately

15 Isaias Cobos - EOYC 2012 Contest
Nice trackselection and fine mixing at most moments. I would probably reverse the tracklist a bit, but the last two tracks as number 1 and 2, but that's just me. It would create a better flow to the set and make it even more enjoyable. Some of the transitions are a bit messy, but I think you handle it pretty well in general.

16 MiMaMix - EOYC 2012 Contest
'Lots of energy in this one! You know how to pick some high energy and powerful tracks all the way through and keep it at a high BPM all the way through. Be careful with the transitions and mastering of the tracks. The transitions gets a bit to loud at some places and there's a noticeable difference in the overall volume of each track. Your track selection is great though and I know many will like your set!

17 Kimochi - EOYC 2012 Contest
Fine power and energy, again a very uplifting set. You have a great taste for the harder side of the uplifting trance and have a great trackselection. Be careful with the transitions though, they are very long and pretty much appears at the very last of each track. Try pushing the boundaries a bit and make the transitions come sooner; it'll create a better flow and perhaps even make space for one more track.

18 Last Sunlight - EOYC 2012 Contest
Very nice first track, nice energy, but still invites you to a much greater set with even more power. Pretty nice transitions and overall flow, try work a bit more on your mixing skills when the bass is very dominant and beat-matching. You did a fine job at picking the right tracks at the right moment.

19 DJ Yutaka Viper - EOYC 2012
Technically a very fine set with smooth transitions. Not as uplifting as many of the other sets, but still with a lot of energy. Especially the first 30 minutes is great, technically speaking. The transitions gets a bit edgy at the last 30 minutes, when the more banging tracks enters. Uplifting tracks are, as said before, very hard to mix! Keep on practicing!

20 tranzLift - EOYC 2012 Contest
Slow set at around 110 BPM... no really, this is tranzLift, what did you expect? Of course this is a very banging set from the very beginning. Nice to hear some of your own productions too. Some of the transitions are a bit messy because the mixing starts to early. It definitely keeps the energy high, but also ruins the overall flow a bit.

Verdict so far: (Set 1 - 20)
Overall I think everyone did a very nice job. I often complain about a lack of flow, but it can be VERY hard to create a nice flow, when you only have 60 minutes and especially if you stick with one genre all the way through. Mixing uplifting tracks can be very hard and I suggest you to start with 134-136 BPM tracks, just for practice and then work your way up. Many of the sets have been 80-100% uplifting, which I feared a bit from the beginning, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy each set.

13 DJ Alex The Lion - EOYC 2012 Contest
Great to hear an intro mix as it sets the mood for the rest of the set. Oh, and this set is also uplifting! A real treat for uplifting fans so far! Work a bit more on your transitions as some of them lose some energy and ruins the general flow. Try work a bit more on beat-matching as well. I think you did a nice job at picking a bit more unheard of uplifting tracks, for me at least, but it lacks a bit of flow. It constantly travels through the 138BPM journey, which some definitely will approve though.

Thanks for your feedback, Kata!

Good mix Alex, nice tracks there. :grinning:

That's an interesting point. Until now, I haven't seen it that way.

I haven't done many mashups, yet (with production software of course). But in my experience it is essential for a mashup to use tracks that have compatible keys unless you use only unmelodious samples of one track.

Can you please explain that? I don't understand what the difference is to mixing tracks of similar BPM and why mixing in key is the only way to mix tracks which have huge difference in BPM.

Sorry for being off topic.

BTW I appreciate feedback to my set.

BPM variation changes the key of the track. For example a track originally created at 130 BPM has a different key at 138BPM. Therefore, playing with these attributes, one can mix two tracks that have incompatible keys at the original BPM.

BTW, you're not offtopic, it is about critiquing, learning, improving, and sharing your value with someone...everyday :)

11 DJ Pavle - EOYC 2012 Contest
Very solid opening track! Be careful you don't mix the tracks to fast as some of the tracks melodies tends to overlap each other. Again, superb energy and power; A real treat for uplifting fans. Like I said before, a 100% uplifting set lacks some flow, and that's also the problem here. You can still make a very uplifting set with a flow by picking a slower first track and try to build it up from there. Nice set though, enjoyed it!

Thanks for your comment Katadunkass :)

Last edited:
Hi guys! I am not gonna spam thread to advertise about my set. But would appreciate if there is any constructive feedback that i can take on board as future reference :). Hope many of you that have listened enjoyed the journey :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back