EOYC 2012 Community Contest Rules, Info & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, i agree. One transition in my set is not mixed in key, and it's not noticeable, and i also agree that sometimes transitions in key sound horrible, but we use our ears then :) For me it's good, cause I don't loose a lot of time choosing tracks that i'm going to mix, cause i'm streaming 2h live sets usually every day, so it's a good toll for me.

i gave a listen to some sets starting with Dj Hike and others but in the end you will see my votes, i will not make any critique here, my critique will be the votes :)

i gave a listen to some sets starting with Dj Hike and others but in the end you will see my votes, i will not make any critique here, my critique will be the votes :)

Nice one piccoli !! :P

Last edited:
I've listened to 10 more sets (12-21), and here is the ones I really enjoyed:

12. Distant Moon - You can't go wrong by combining classics with some amazing uplifting tunes, really great melodic set! =)
16. MiMaMix - Wow! Absolutely massive uplifting journey, definitely must enter the top14. This set is #1 for me till the date.
20. tranzLift - High energy set with their best own tracks, would be nice to hear them at EOYC :)

amazing feedbacks wow !! love it i started also downloading the sets will be listening to them starting today...

I've decided I wanted to leave some feedback for the sets I've listened to so far. I'll try to be as constructive as possible and leave some feedback you can work on. If you have questions about my criticism, please PM me and I'll try to answer the best I can.

01 Metrostatic - EOYC 2012 Contest

Nice selection of more progressive/well-known tracks, both new and a bit older. Be careful the transitions don't lose all the power, as it can ruin the flow. It didn't ruin much in this set, but if you want to keep on DJ'ing, remember to find a balance. But as said before, nice selection and they fit well together. Could work as an intro set for a party/event.

02 Darxis - EOYC 2012 Contest
Fairly enjoyable set, some average tracks, both well-known and something new and refreshing. Good job at picking both vocal and instrumental tracks. Try work a bit more on some of the transitions (Some of them are a bit messy; Too much going on) and the general flow.

03 Alfurez - EOYC 2012 Contest
Banging set with lots of powerful, uplifting tracks. Some think this is they way a set should be, and that's fine, but I think it compromises with the overall flow. You definitely picked some of the greater uplifting tracks which didn't sound much alike, which is a good thing. Try working a bit more on the transitions. Mixing an uplifting set is much harder than it looks and the transitions takes a lot of work!

04 Galin Rashkov - EOYC 2012 Contest
Again, a very uplifting, powerful set with great tracks by the likes of Temple One, Sean Tyas and Paul Webster. As said before, it ruins the overall flow, but if you like uplifting tracks, this is definitely one to pick. Try working on getting a smoother transition between the tracks. The transitions are not too long or too short, as many might make them, but on the general sounds and when to cut a track.

05 April Elyse - EOYC 2012 Contest
Nice to hear a set with an intro mix. It quickly gets uplifting which is fine, I just think it's a nice touch with an intro mix. The transitions could use a bit of work, but as said before, mixing uplifting tracks are very hard and takes a lot of work. Nice selection between vocal and instrumental tracks and superb ending track!

06 Lokki - EOYC 2012 Contest
Many of you know Lokki and his passion for uplifting trance, and that definitely shines through here. Technically there's not much wrong with this set. Some of the transitions are a bit messy and fast-paced, but I liked each individual track. Since it is a complete uplifting set, there is a lack of flow, but still very enjoyable due to the track-selection.

07 Cold Rush - EOYC 2012 Contest
Great to hear a set with own productions and ideas for each track. This can both be a very good thing, but can also be a bit dangerous as the set can end up lacking a flow from slow-to-fast or whatever, but you handled that fine here. Work a bit more on the transitions in the future and you could provide some very nice sets!

08 DJ K4N - EOYC 2012 Contest
Nice intro track and good use of both new and older tracks. I think it could get even better if you worked a bit more on the general flow. Try work a bit on the transitions to make each track connect a bit more to each other. Very nice energy though and 'lots of power! Definitely a set for the uplifting fans.

09 Agger - EOYC 2012 Contest
Good selection of tracks, but I think there's too many and it compromises with the overall flow. You have the skills to mix, but I think it would be better, if you took out half of the tracks and worked on a general idea. Nice selection of vocal and instrumental tracks.

10 Enviate - EOYC 2012 Contest
Nice to hear such a special and loveable track as the intro for your set! I think it's a nice evening set with fine, slow vibes, but it lacks a bit of flow. It doesn't really get anywhere and stays safe in the slower tracks. Fine transitions though! Altough it lacks some flow, I'll definitely save it for the late evenings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Kata. I put a lot of tracks because I decide to do a megamix, it is my first ever so no wonder there are some mistakes present. I thought almost everyone can mix a 10 track set, so I've made this decision.

Thanks for the feedback Kata. I put a lot of tracks because I decide to do a megamix, it is my first ever so no wonder there are some mistakes present. I thought almost everyone can mix a 10 track set, so I've made this decision.
Fair enough. As said, you definitely have the skills to mix a megamix, even if it is your first. I've never been too fond of megamixes, so it's nothing personal at all :smile:

Ive listened to few more sets on Mixcloud and some are great for me.

1st, a set from my slovenian mate Gogy Di, well the first two tracks are not for me, then it is great, good tracks and so on.
2nd, Matii G, very nice uplifting set, you definetly deserves a spot @ EOYC 2012
3rd, K4N, another great uplifting set, only first track annoys me but dotn mind at all
4th, Pavel Vakhrushev, thats one interesting set, combined with psy, breakbeat and uplifting trance, youve done great job as others aswell
Thats all for now from me.

Thanks for your comment mate ;)

great guys... we will start checking some smashing trance to.. with comments :D hope you guys will check out mixx 99 to ;)

Really like this contest!! GOOD JOB!!!

Last edited:
You wanted critique? Here We go!
14 Lucas Deyong (61:21) - Like commercial trance? If yes, then it's for you, but not for me

Maybe I Like comercial trance , i can't?????
This is the contest in the mix! You should evaluate mix! no tracks ...

10 Enviate - EOYC 2012 Contest
Nice to hear such a special and loveable track as the intro for your set! I think it's a nice evening set with fine, slow vibes, but it lacks a bit of flow. It doesn't really get anywhere and stays safe in the slower tracks. Fine transitions though! Altough it lacks some flow, I'll definitely save it for the late evenings.

Wow, that's some incredible effort! A helpful critique to say the least! I'll definitely consider changing the 'flow' as you like to call it IF I'll emerge victorious anyway. :)
Seems like there are indeed many people getting used to the progressive stuff...

Maybe I Like comercial trance , i can't?????This is the contest in the mix! You should evaluate mix! no tracks ...
hmmm...forgot to add that your mixing skills are veery good....but selection...personally I don't like it.

Not sure why people take criticism so personally? Everyone has their own opinion. But, at the same time you have to take into consideration what some of the feedback is and evaluate on your own to confirm if you agree or not. DJs that take every criticism personally have no chance of developing or exceeding to next level. Also there is no DJ here that can claim they never make mistakes. We all do in some way or another so again don't take things so seriously. Those that do should never enter contests because isn't that the whole purpose of a contest? In my book a contest is a competition where one is compared to another. I know few DJs that flipped off when I told them all the things they do wrong. But, hey they don't have to take my word for it or anyone elses. If one thinks he or she is that good that they need to make zero changes then they need to be playing at massive events and not applying for contests. That's my 2 cents =)

Wow, that's some incredible effort! A helpful critique to say the least! I'll definitely consider changing the 'flow' as you like to call it IF I'll emerge victorious anyway. :)
Seems like there are indeed many people getting used to the progressive stuff...
No problem mate, just trying to help. Remember, it's all very subjective, some people will like your flow, some won't; Don't change just because one tells you to :grinning:

Not sure why people take criticism so personally? Everyone has their own opinion. But, at the same time you have to take into consideration what some of the feedback is and evaluate on your own to confirm if you agree or not. DJs that take every criticism personally have no chance of developing or exceeding to next level. Also there is no DJ here that can claim they never make mistakes. We all do in some way or another so again don't take things so seriously. Those that do should never enter contests because isn't that the whole purpose of a contest? In my book a contest is a competition where one is compared to another. I know few DJs that flipped off when I told them all the things they do wrong. But, hey they don't have to take my word for it or anyone elses. If one thinks he or she is that good that they need to make zero changes then they need to be playing at massive events and not applying for contests. That's my 2 cents =)

+ 50 cents.

I have mixed in key intentionally. But my set also includes some transitions that were not in key. I believe you won't recognize those transitions.

In my opinion mixing in key is a useful tool - especially for very long transitions. But you should also use your intuition. If you stick too much to mixing in key you become unflexible. And even in key transitions can sound horrible.

It seems that are mixed feelings about this "mixed in key" strategy and obviously none of us is a professional DJ to really understand the potential of clearly identify the key of each track. It is true that creativity, serendipity, feelings and everything else that makes us human play a vital role in a set and that's how it should be. Yet, when combining the human touch with the keys, only a better set can be the end result. From my experience, both these dimensions helped a lot in making outstanding sets, both for radioshows, or live in nightclubs. Once you have a large database of trance music, you have lots of flexibility to transition from one key to another so you can play your favourite tracks, or the tracks that you feel the audience is lustful for. As soon as i started using the key technique, my sets quality went through the roof. While not a perfect technique, it seems to provide excellent results in most of the cases. Usually mixed in key is applied for short transitions in my opinion, withing 4bits or so so that keeps the flow going. Long transitions are more towards creating mash-ups, yet the right key combinations is very helpful. However, mash-up are usually created in a production software rather than using 2 decks and a mixer. Remember that the only way to mix two tracks that have huge difference in BPMs is using the mixed in key approach...Armin himself is agreeing with this :) Happy mixing!

ok, let's continue
33 Ole Petersson (60:47) - one of club trance sets I heard today. Totally smashing energetic set. I think this set would destroy the clubs....very good...
34 Mikey K (61:57) - worse than 33rd set (IMO), but it's good, too. Very good mashups, mate! and your mixing is good.
35 DJ Verdastro (59:37) - hmmm...136BPM progressive set? I like this!
36 DjJohn (60:00) - Awesome selection of tracks, but I think you should improve your mixing abilities.
37 Andromedha (61:47) - Me Gusta!! :)
38 Replicate (60:34) - not bad, not bad.....50/50
39 Gate Of Paradise (61:58) - Wooow!!! So good!!!
40 Mannie Kumar (59:58) - veeery good!! i liked your set very much!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back