What do you hate about trance?

>:|

I also hate it when a song takes too long to build up and then the break down is short :P[/QUOTE]

yes
i hate it when its a song and it takes about 2 minutes of the song 2 start lol

so technically uplifting trance is the ORIGINAL type of trance right?

no but trance itself..the first type was uplift, and from there it grew to acid,tech,etc..

no but trance itself..the first type was uplift, and from there it grew to acid,tech,etc..

that's not true, uplift wasn't the first type, uplifting came way later.. Trance was pretty dark in the beginning , uplift only came up in 99 when the Gouryella alias was started..

no, UK side grew from acid house, german side grew from techno, dutch prolly from europop (no insult).

If you listen to, say FSOL- Papua New Guinea, early 90s, it's more on the goa side (NOT psy!) clearly derived from acid house than the far latter "uplifting" (what a shit name btw) coming up mid 90s climaxing around the millenium.

Edit:
Miles' "Children" could be classed as uplift --- '94
BT's "Flaming June" too, maybe even more ---- '97

Last edited:
Hmm..but its kinda hard to distinguish acid and tech trance from techno, whereas uplift is easily recognizeable..

Hmm..but its kinda hard to distinguish acid and tech trance from techno, whereas uplift is easily recognizeable..

todays techno is different from what it was originally, what you hear today are all branches and twigs of that big tree called house.
also what is percieved as uplifting isn't a genre as such, epic or anthem trance is prolly more fitting, it is used nowadays to differentiate between different streams, i.e. prog or tech.
nowadays even harder to distinguish because of minute differences and just the introduction of a different element can cross a track into another (sub-)genre spawning heated debates to what is what.

a light hearted "family tree" can be found here, to be taken with a pinch of salt tho'
Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music | New Home on Techno.org

that's not true, uplift wasn't the first type, uplifting came way later.. Trance was pretty dark in the beginning , uplift only came up in 99 when the Gouryella alias was started..

i don't agree with that, trance came up about 1990 91, when Paul van Dyk and Paul Oakenfold came up with their productions, and frankly i miss that times:music:

i don't agree with that, trance came up about 1990 91, when Paul van Dyk and Paul Oakenfold came up with their productions, and frankly i miss that times:music:

PvD started producing mid-90s and Oakenfold, I dunno actually, but they're foremost Djs and what they've spun in those days is far from "uplifting" :mask:

What about before those? Was it just Disco? I'm pretty sure the Warp Brothers and D-Devils are older than PvD and Oakenfold..so I guess techno DID come before trance. Then there must've been a kind of transition genre..integrating those calm middle melodic moments into the hard saws and club kicks.

Or am I completely off track here XD?

what does that have to do with the 'uplift' tarek is talking about? In general trance was way darker before 99. Tarek said that uplifting was the first style in trance, and it isn't. That's just a fact, you can't disagree with that :)

gouryella is a pretty bad example for trance really, hardly defining anything at all. for the simple reason that it's written in a major key, making it sound overly happy (evil minds might say cheesy), while the vast majoriy of trance tunes is in a minor key, giving it the typical mellow sound necessary for trance.

there's also a reason why "old" trance sounds different than the stuff we have today. synth technology wasn't as advanced as it is today, so the synth sounds defining uplift today just weren't easily possible back in the day. either you had a sample like this or you didn't, and many producers didn't. so it was much more common to work with piano sounds or violin strings etc, things like that. that's what most old trance tunes were made of.

the intentions and underlying musical concepts were the same though, just the methods were different. the differentiation of "uplift" (yeah it is a sucky name) sure wasn't around back in the day, but gouryella sure didn't define it. but there was plenty of stuff around that you would call uplift today, even back in the day.

it's the same thing with goa and psytrance really. for many people it means the same, even though there is a difference. today it's almost exclusively psytrance you hear everywhere, while back in the day it was all goa, because they just couldn't produce the sounds defining psy today. (at least to my knowledge, i'm not much involved in the psy scene, i'm mostly judging from various sets and tracks i've heard and i know. so i might be wrong.)

now what people think of when they hear "trance" depends on your locality, the community you're moving in, the people you talk to etc. in my area (or more precisely pretty much all over austria), many people think of "trance" in terms of psytrance/goa only, because the psy scene is alive and well, while the "regular" trance scene is non existant. in the certain online communities (AH, certain other forums dealing with asot, gdjb etc), "trance" is pretty much synonymous with uplift, possibly/partly including prog trance.

What I am currently hating about trance or indeed any music on here are the djs who do not post a tracklist. Posting a tracklist is very simple, you can either be here to do it, or ask somebody else to do it for you or can leave it on the first page or leave a message saying that your going to post it the next day. Not leaving a tracklist is very discourteous to the listener because it leaves them in the dark as to whats going on. Radio is different to playing live. the forums are interactive. People want to know whats going on. Not having a tracklist also sets a bad impression to new users who wonder where the tracklist is and somebody has to explain to them that the dj can't be bothered to do it. Not good.

I have also noticed one or two people posting sets in the producers corner are asking people to download sets that don't have a tracklist. Again not good. I'm certainly not going to be downloading music when I don't know what it is. Saying Enjoy or Just Listen is not a smart idea imo.

Another thing, djs forgetting to download their sets. What the hell is that about? Don't they have a schedule or a diary. How can they forget? Do they forget to go to a gig? Imagine what a promoter would think if you didnt turn up at a gig and explained to him that oh you forgot. Its the same here. People are expecting to hear the sets that are listed. Saying you forgot to download is ridiculous and doesn't say much for the dj other than he/she obviously doesn't care enough for it to matter.

i hate nowadays trance. Too happy, too generic, too electro, too many vocals which make it sound like poptracks, and my biggest hate are those gay male vocals. Emo songs by softies.. blahhh!

Artists like Paul Miller and Aly & Fila get worshipped for tracks that a few years ago never would've made it to a release.. The trance public in general is satisfied way too easily; they hear a happy melody and they go crazy.

A bit rough, but still pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

Trance should be trance - deep, strong, hypnotic and profound. This is what trance music initially meant to be.

Activa - Genetic
Substate - Horizon
Solar Movement - Under The Sun
Aled Mann - Cause & Effect
Inertia - The Chamber

Deep, strong and intensive. This is what I call trance.

Fluffy, happy, "whining" melodies are NOT peculiar to authentic trance music.

What I am currently hating about trance or indeed any music on here are the djs who do not post a tracklist. Posting a tracklist is very simple, you can either be here to do it, or ask somebody else to do it for you or can leave it on the first page or leave a message saying that your going to post it the next day. Not leaving a tracklist is very discourteous to the listener because it leaves them in the dark as to whats going on. Radio is different to playing live. the forums are interactive. People want to know whats going on. Not having a tracklist also sets a bad impression to new users who wonder where the tracklist is and somebody has to explain to them that the dj can't be bothered to do it. Not good.

I have also noticed one or two people posting sets in the producers corner are asking people to download sets that don't have a tracklist. Again not good. I'm certainly not going to be downloading music when I don't know what it is. Saying Enjoy or Just Listen is not a smart idea imo.

Another thing, djs forgetting to download their sets. What the hell is that about? Don't they have a schedule or a diary. How can they forget? Do they forget to go to a gig? Imagine what a promoter would think if you didnt turn up at a gig and explained to him that oh you forgot. Its the same here. People are expecting to hear the sets that are listed. Saying you forgot to download is ridiculous and doesn't say much for the dj other than he/she obviously doesn't care enough for it to matter.

While most of the time I just listen to AH, what Sunny says is just common sense. It's not quite what she hates about trance... more about what she hates about not being able to find the ID of the tracks she likes. But it's a good point. If you're a DJ you should know what song you're playing. I mean I could run a set with all my old unnamed trance tracks and pretend to be a DJ... but most DJ's in the real world know what they're playing.

Man when I started this thread I never expected it to last this long... 156 posts haha :rofl:

Underground Trance is my new home now :)

A bit rough, but still pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

Trance should be trance - deep, strong, hypnotic and profound. This is what trance music initially meant to be.

Activa - Genetic
Substate - Horizon
Solar Movement - Under The Sun
Aled Mann - Cause & Effect
Inertia - The Chamber

Deep, strong and intensive. This is what I call trance.

Fluffy, happy, "whining" melodies are NOT peculiar to authentic trance music.

Quoted For Truth! :iagree:

Right now, I'm hating nothing about trance. I'm enjoying it fully, and that's the way it should be :music:

Back