What do you hate about trance?

best sets are those containing tracks that are both unknown and great. the underground gems, the hard to get stuff. this is what will make a dj famous [1]. everything else either sucks or is just mainstream (or both).

([1] ok not really, if you wanna get famous, you gotta produce a track that makes it onto ASOT. but that's a different story.)

:iagree:

Underground Trance FTW :bow: :music:

Mainstream trance can take a hike :thumbsdown:

bleep blop bleep blop bleep blop.. I hate that too.. lol. Cheers!

here is one that just occurred to me....producers using the same freaking name for tracks...come on, show some ingenuity and come up with your own title don't pick ones already used :P:P

not to get too specific with artists and particular songs, id like to add that trance/progressive in general will carry a repetitive beat. not sure if thats a basis of all trance music, but it would be nice to see something original when it came to the beat structure of the song. kind of take progressive to a new level by adjusting/altering inner meter levels

Last edited:
best sets are those containing tracks that are both unknown and great. the underground gems, the hard to get stuff. this is what will make a dj famous [1]. everything else either sucks or is just mainstream (or both).

([1] ok not really, if you wanna get famous, you gotta produce a track that makes it onto ASOT. but that's a different story.)

i agree with this statement. people in general don't have time to spend looking for good music. in fact that is why dj's are so vital. take one song that is popular to spark interest, and inject a song that is less heard of. you'd find people will like the fact that you play things they can identify with. of course the best dj's in the world do this in such a way that you love the whole set and not parts of it.

so, dig for tracks, buy a few hits and kick ass!

What i'm currently hating about trance is the seeming wide difference between trance and progressive trance on here. What i'm noticing is that progressive trance seems to be covering here a very wide rage of styles.

I mean when I come here and see this place is for trance and progressive are we talking progressive trance or what? Its very confusing whats going on here to me. And ive noticed more than one person and that includes a member of staff here has pointed out that whats being played does not appear to have much if anything to do with trance at all if it be progressive or anything.

Its like certain djs are simply playing what they like and calling it progressive trance even if it has nothing to do with trance. There doesnt appear to be any rule of thumb as to what djs can and cannot play here if they are to satisfy the listener.

I have noticed a growing disillusionment amongst some posters when some so called progressive trance sets come on. And its not surprising imo because much of the music appears to be a combination of industrial and film sound track sounds.

This seems to be the djs definition of playing progressive trance. But is it progressive trance and has it really got anything to do with trance as we know it? I personally am not saying I dislike progressive trance because I have actually heared some really beautiful progressive sets on here. But I have also heared some that have bored me to the point of driving me away from the site which is not good.

One solution to all this would be to have a seperate channel for progressive sets therefore people will have the choice to go where they want instead of having to sit through something they don't necessarily want to hear.:)

What do you think?

Last edited:
AMEN sunny :bow:

exactly my thoughts. AH is about trance, progressive trance (and probably also progressive house, which partly overlap anyway). what some DJs here play has nothing to do with any of that, even if they think it's progressive, which is not. we need to get rid of that!

i don't really believe in a seperate progressive channel. i think real progressive has a place on AH (now), so i wouldn't like it being seperated. what needs seperation though is all the other unrelated styles, which some people wrongly call progressive. but i wouldn't mind just getting rid of it :lol:

i'd like to know who those dj's might be then.. firstly i can't come up with dj's who claim to play progressive trance, and then secondly, there are so little dj's here playing progressive sets that everyone would know it who plays the 'sucky' progressive sets.. The only thing i can come up with is that you're talking about schossow?

i'd like to know who those dj's might be then.. firstly i can't come up with dj's who claim to play progressive trance, and then secondly, there are so little dj's here playing progressive sets that everyone would know it who plays the 'sucky' progressive sets.. The only thing i can come up with is that you're talking about schossow?
i don't think schossow claims to be playing progressive. if anyone thinks he's progressive, please go back to music school :lol:

tbh i can't say for sure which DJs claim to be playing progressive, but it's a fact that many aren't playing trance/prog, and since AH is a trance/prog radio, there's only two possible explanations: 1) they think it's progressive, or 2) they know it's not, but they don't care and play it anyway.

examples from the past days, just off the top of my head, were supermassive partly, kimito lopez partly, dj ira (all or mostly), and sacha too (at least partly?) i think.

i know schossow ain't progressive , but actually a lot of people do, trust me.

Also, i personally think that most of those 'unprogressive' tracks get played by dj's who play the more allround sets.. Somehow i think that the few 'real' progressive dj's over here know what progressive is and therefor play real progressive sets. But like i said, i can't come up with many names, since i think there aren't that much progressive dj's at all over here

Also, i personally think that most of those 'unprogressive' tracks get played by dj's who play the more allround sets.. Somehow i think that the few 'real' progressive dj's over here know what progressive is and therefor play real progressive sets. But like i said, i can't come up with many names, since i think there aren't that much progressive dj's at all over here

well, imo it doesn't have to be dedicated "progressive" djs. it can be any dj here, we should play trance and prog only, that's what ahfm is about, no matter if it comes from a trance dj, prog dj or whatever else dj. but yes, there does seem to be a lot of confusion around about what progressive is. it might even be more the djs that don't specialize on prog that do this, they think they play some prog tunes but in fact end up playing electro. just to give an example. *shrug*

well, imo it doesn't have to be dedicated "progressive" djs. it can be any dj here, we should play trance and prog only, that's what ahfm is about, no matter if it comes from a trance dj, prog dj or whatever else dj. but yes, there does seem to be a lot of confusion around about what progressive is. it might even be more the djs that don't specialize on prog that do this, they think they play some prog tunes but in fact end up playing electro. just to give an example. *shrug*

yes i totally agree with all you mention here.

i don't think schossow claims to be playing progressive. if anyone thinks he's progressive, please go back to music school :lol:

tbh i can't say for sure which DJs claim to be playing progressive, but it's a fact that many aren't playing trance/prog, and since AH is a trance/prog radio, there's only two possible explanations: 1) they think it's progressive, or 2) they know it's not, but they don't care and play it anyway.

examples from the past days, just off the top of my head, were supermassive partly, kimito lopez partly, dj ira (all or mostly), and sacha too (at least partly?) i think.

schossow does play progressive sometimes (ep 19 of tone diary for example) along with a blend of other EDM styles that are not part of AH's music preference (techno, house, electro, tech trance, etc.) and a lil trancey trance sometimes as well.

sometimes, its all about the mood of the DJ at what style of EDM they want to play rather than sticking to what the dedicated trancey trance listeners of AH want to hear. :cat:

schossow does play progressive sometimes (ep 19 of tone diary for example) along with a blend of other EDM styles that are not part of AH's music preference (techno, house, electro, tech trance, etc.) and a lil trancey trance sometimes as well.

sometimes, its all about the mood of the DJ at what style of EDM they want to play rather than sticking to what the dedicated trancey trance listeners of AH want to hear. :cat:

yeah well, easy to say, but if i (or any other 'more progressive' dj) play a set like schossow would do i would get kicked..

schossow does play progressive sometimes ... and a lil trancey trance sometimes as well.
that's a very very very rare occurance though :P most of the time he just plays crap (= other genres :lol:) and nothing else.

yeah but in that case they just clearly suck. a DJ should always adjust to what the crowd wants. if they're unable to do so, then they're playing at the wrong place.

and btw, because i've just seen this...

the REAL uplifting trance = Hard Trance

no offense meant, but wtf? this is exactly the kind of style confusion we're talking about here. uplifting trance is uplifting trance, and hard trance is hard trance! just like progressive is progressive and electro is electro and techno is techno! don't mix them up when you're not supposed to!

LOL Margoss i told yesterday this, you´re worst than me, i hate house, electro and anything related to that stuff, but you are really fundamentalist lol yeah i do agree with you. :)

that's a very very very rare occurance though :P most of the time he just plays crap (= other genres :lol:) and nothing else.

yeah but in that case they just clearly suck. a DJ should always adjust to what the crowd wants. if they're unable to do so, then they're playing at the wrong place.

yeah and one thing i remembered now, is in the live events i heard here at AH, some dj's in the line up didn't play any uplift and melodic trance, now i ask, why? some of them was only pling plango zzzzzzzzzz, now how do the crowd stand that? for me is reaaly annoying being in a place listen to that kind of music, i heard very few uplift trance in that events:P

and btw, because i've just seen this...

no offense meant, but wtf? this is exactly the kind of style confusion we're talking about here. uplifting trance is uplifting trance, and hard trance is hard trance! just like progressive is progressive and electro is electro and techno is techno! don't mix them up when you're not supposed to!

its simple....hard trance is more of the real epic trancey sound to me than todays usual "recycled" sound of "uplifting". long ago, that was trance was all about. the hard energy that made u want to dance and never stop. as opposed to uplifting, its more of on the softer side, lacking the big room energy that hard trance provides.

and not only that, its the sound im changing over to whenever i want to hear some real banging trance. everybody has a right to their own tastes and to like whatever the hell they want to like.

this is all my 2 cents btw. :cat:

good day to you and bye....

Back