What should Lyrics in trance & progressive go about?

What should Lyrics in trance & progressive go about?

• Love or Love related

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Anything else! ( Like what? )

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters
i think having vocals in songs is good and everything but im still a firm believer that its all about the music. its not often nowadays (im not even that old!) that you get songs with no vocals in. trance is the modern classical music!

but if there is a vocal in a tune it has to sound original and be a right tune at that. too many vocals sound proper cheesy and it does my head in cos the music behind is quality. in fact, everyone i know hates male vocals in tunes when i find them better than female vocals (perfect e.g. dogzilla - without you)

Above & Beyond and Armin have cracked vocal trance though.

My favoured genre is progressive trance/minimal trance, but I have to say that most of the tracks become bullshit because of the so called "lyrics". Adding lyrics is the worst thing most people do with this kind of music. Most of them sound as if the creator of the track didn't have the faintest idea about what those english sentences mean, they are so dumb and stupid. Making a point by quoting lines from famous movies is another thing Mr and Ms DJs can make fools of themselves with. I can describe what I feel very easily when I listen to tracks with dumb lines in them: I feel kinda ashamed by the fact, that after many years of listening to Pink Floyd, blues music, rock and even metal, I listen to something that reflects the mind of an I-know-what-is-what-teenager.

My favourite is:

This is true love we make
Down on the streets
But I can do my best

WTF? Ok, I get the point, but that point is microscopic.
Yeah, that was a great thing to say, especially in that hyper-affective way you did it boyo.

Seriously, why can't everyone just make tracks like Reefer Decree's Nightvision, no bullshite, just powerful music.

Another point of mine: if you've got something to say, then say it like Infected Mushroom does it, your own thoughts with your own words. But don't cut and paste quotes from their original context, that will only prove that your braincell count is at the level of a wannabe teenager.

full ack :)
exceptions are very rare, and mostly in older tunes... did vocal stuff get worse with time or did my taste change? :p
no you're right ... vocals have changed lately... they are less trancey than they were few years ago .. in my opinion. for instance ... this new track "going wrong - avb" ... is a good exemple of the new flow about vocal. And I hate it !!! absolutely ... !!!! its vocal TRANCE not vocal pop-rock-tranceifihave2minsleft .... è_é lol but well .... at least there are "small" djs / producers who still do good vocal trance tracks ! :)

For me personally, the beauty of trance lies within its senselessness. Pop music is mostly about some artist (or songwriter) trying to tell the audience something via the lyrics. In trance, the actual message is the music itself. No need for any meaningful vocals or lyrics, the music itself is all that's needed. If there are any vocals, they need to be there to support the tune, and not be the tune. Therefore, it doesn't even matter what the lyrics are about, or even if there are any lyrics. Nonsense vocals are perfectly fine, if they suit the track. And to be honest, for vocals/lyrics that are actually meaningful, I don't really listen to what they're saying...

well for me since i listen trance, all the lyrics are always about love or love related and some times they are very emotional and suits the occasion, others are very sad.

But my preference goes just for the instrumental trance tuune.

But a instrumental tuune can be emotional too, there are some that brings me emotions really deep from inside me and it's something i can't control it.

/...signed

but there are some tunes they are just great cause they have a wonderful combination of Trance surfaces and lyrics...for example AvB - If you should go, AvB - Burned with desire...and also some of Dave Gahan-dirty sticky floors just work so perfect causing on this combination...without the lyrics this tracks didnt work for me:grinning:

My opinion: Vocals shoul be used (only) as a mean to supplement the trance song and not the other way arround as seen in many cases

I like vocals sometimes... I used to be completely against vocals. Until I started appreciating vocal trance and writing my own love lyrics... but someone posted earlier and was right... usually ends up being VERY VERY cheesey. :)

the songs should be with lyrics about love becouse the trance music is most beautifull genre in the world so what can be most beautifull than love :p

nuthin
they should b banned:mask:

The only thing that matters to me is that the lyrics should sound good and should be in harmony with the tune. There's for example Feel me through the radio by DJ Shog. I find the lyrics kinda stupid but i enjoy listening to the track anyway.

as they say: per 100 songs there is 120 about love...

...so maybe about good, god, heaven, earth, people relationship to make songs more varied
This Brings to mind the Track "Game master" by lost tribe. This is one of my favorite tracks ever. I really would like to hear more trance tracks with vocals about the planet, about life about, well, not love. Another song that (at least to me is not about love) is New York City by Paul Van Dyk. More about being some where and the way the city envelops a person.
I like if there are vocals for the vocals to take me somewhere. Not just tell a story about 2 people just being peachy. I want to have my paradigm shifted from time to time.

^^very well said..and a lot of those kind of "deep" meaningful lyrics are found in Psy tracks :mml:

Tessien vs. Yello - Solar Driftwood :love:

[youtube]IP-sLyHpvLY[/youtube]

The Big Bang.
The ultimate hero of low frequency.
The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting
the tribes of our solar system.
If we could communicate from our tiny piece of solar driftwood into another galaxy
what would we say?
We can send out pictures, symbols, chemical formulas or language.
The magic of music is a sign of consciousness that could be understood on far-flung
worlds millions of lightyears from our horizon.
Music is an interstellar language from a highly insignificant planet one of nine in
our system which sails through time and space till the next one, the next inevitable
Big Bang...

Last edited:
the heck with vocals...especially the damn whiny ones, male and female alike...all the love lyrics are cheesy..with very few exceptions the bottom line is...no vocals please :)

tbh, I feel there is expression your opinion and then there is "expressing your opinion". I'm really surprised by the amount of people just moaning about vocals, if you don't like them, don't listen, why moan about it?

I hear plenty of Trance sets that personally I find are totally boring, lacklustre and monotonus because they contain no vocals what soever, I'm not saying all of them are like that, but the vast majority are. But when was the last time I moaned about them on here? I haven't, not once, it's just my personaly opinion that isn't going to change anyone elses views, and to be honest, I wouldn't want to!

Music is varied, that is the way it is supposed to be, stop moaning about this music you don't like, and just appreciate the music that you do like!! :lol:

toffee nazi in full effect

^^no toffee for you :p

can we all just get along?..please do complain, its a free world :lol:

http://forum.ah.fm/music-discussion/11939-vocal-tracks-i-like.html

:p:p

i do like SOME vocals but its just lately that there has been a move to popish sounding vocals that ruin the tracks, and sometimes it even feels that vocals are used to make up for lack of music, they just dominate the track :p

one good example of what i like to hear in terms of any vocals is
Thr3shold-Freeing You From The Earth (Thr3shold_EP) :)

*reads signature :mask:

Last edited:
^^no toffee for you

can we all just get along?..please do complain, its a free world

http://forum.ah.fm/music-discussion/11939-vocal-tracks-i-like.html

i do like SOME vocals but its just lately that there has been a move to popish sounding vocals that ruin the tracks, and sometimes it even feels that vocals are used to make up for lack of music, they just dominate the track

one good example of what i like to hear in terms of any vocals is
Thr3shold-Freeing You From The Earth (Thr3shold_EP)

*reads signature

where's the love maaaan!

hippy%20chic.JPG

Hey I wasn't suggesting that you hate all vocals, I've not said that at all and not said that you shouldn't express your opinion. But like from my perspective, there is a group for Vocal Haters right? What can possibly come from that? To me, that's like going to a meatloaf concert and shouting "booo, get of the stage you pie eating whinger!" Or starting a hate site for something you don't like.

Would it not be better and more constructive for there to be a group for lovers of instrumental uplifting trance, which I'm sure there already is. Is expressing hatred really going to change peoples opinions? And more to the point, why would anyone want to?

So call me a hippy if you want, but why put energy into hating something when you could just put it into constructive ways of loving something and give people a reason to come to your way of thinking?

The main reason I'm getting a bit heated by this is because I use vocal tracks allot, as I love them, and so do literally hundreds of thousands of people all over the world, love them or loath them they are here to stay, so may as well get used to it. :p:p:p:p

and to all members of the vocal haters group -> :spank::spank: shame on you! :lol::lol:

Ok here's my view...

* Lyrics are good in trance music. Some tracks need lyrics, some tracks don't.

* In some music, the vocal part IS the main part of the track, and forms the melody.

* Lyrics can be about anything. Most lyrics that are written have hidden meanings, and mean something only to the artist the wrote them. Lyrics are interpreted differently between people.

* Sometimes lyrics can be over done, and can kill a good track. Sometimes they add to the track and give it a finishing quality.

* Without lyrics, there would be no vocal trance genre.

* Don't forget there are several dimensions to trance. Minimal, progressive, NRG, goa, psy, vocal, uplifting etc etc etc. If you don't like vocal trance, but you like some other form of trance - good. If you like vocal trance - good. If you don't like trance at all, then GTFO out this thread.

* Saying vocal trance is cheesy is like me saying Nirvana are gay, when I like The Smashing Pumpkins. Cheesy is a perception, like what your best friend thinks of your mum (mom for you American's).

Music is varied, that is the way it is supposed to be, stop moaning about this music you don't like, and just appreciate the music that you do like!!

^^ DJ Abstraction said it best.

kthxbai

OK..this is my last REPLY in this thread..seems people don't bother to actually read and understand the reason I (not speaking for everyone else, but i have a feeling they agree with me) don't like vocals anymore, or at least most of them....

@ dreamnesioN

* Sometimes lyrics can be over done, and can kill a good track. Sometimes they add to the track and give it a finishing quality.

Agreed with the “over done” part.

While djabstraction said it best…

Music is varied, that is the way it is supposed to be, stop moaning about this music you don't like, and just appreciate the music that you do like!! :lol:

Its not me moaning, the singers are, and over time vocal trance has changed for the worst and it’s why I don’t like it anymore.
There are still tracks being released that have perfect harmony between music and vocals, but they are so few and far between lately.
Psy trance has maintained the same style in vocals, they are deep and meaningful…and its what I like to hear…not moaning about how “beauty hides in the deep”..or how is “the last time” (thrillseekers) and repeated over and over for a million times...classic example of being over done.

No two set of ears will hear the same thing, or have the same perception about the music they listen to.
I for one have very sensitive ears, I hear crickets, bats, frogs and other creatures and so much more that is going on in the background of the tracks, so obviously anything that is at the forefront will be even more apparent to me.

And a last word:
unlike man, as women we don’t perspire, don’t burp and don’t pass gas, if we don’t b*tch we’ll explode!!!
:p :lol: :)

Back