New AH Player + comment system

Like I said... it's not a better system you've created. It's worse. No excuse you can come up with is going to justify that or make us believe you're doing the right thing. It doesn't matter how many posts that I have. I've been a part of this community for a long time and have enjoyed browsing the forums...whether I actually post or not.
Forums are old technology huh? Where did you come up with this?

like i said thank you for your reply and your feedback... player is at testing stages, and we see more people using it then the forums ... we will see in future how it pans out... when i say old technology i mean vbulletin does not update to latest php versions, many features dont work because of that ... many more technical things are in place also.

It' just a stupid new Liveset thread posting system. :spank::wall:
I don't want everybody to see who I am on facebook! :thumbsdown:
AH seems to WAS the best radio station + forum for me... :mask:

Goodbye forum
wavecry.gif

:( I hope not to loose sight of you.

I feel the same about the change.

wtf is going on forum!? totally useless changing:bad:

bring back previous version!!!
i agree the same with MasterStefan, SciLogi1c, & Sunny Tomorrow. really enjoyed the track history provided by Danmark_ori.
i could go into the forums, check the T/L, comments, etc.--really liked that.
...& when i click on http://ah.fm/player all i get is a blank, white page--no music, no text, nothing. using MS IE9 (mandated by my workplace, not my choice) & i never cared for "web-players" anyways. oh well, if that's "progress" guess i'll be left behind...

Last edited:
First of all the forums on Afterhours are very clean and classy looking and you have smilies. And in general it looks very smart with the black background to post there. Disqus on the other hand is very bland, far to pale and no smiles. It looks cheap. And in any case if you wanted people to post comments why not have them in the original forums? Was that not what they were created for in the first place? Why create something in Disqus to basically do the same thing but with a very inferior looking interface that Disqus has? By making this change you seem to be catering to people who don’t generally post anyway on the site for whatever reason, and are unlikely to be attracted to the cheap looking thing that is Disqus. And oh yes, you keep mentioning the “hardcore” people who used the forums. Well those “hardcore” people were the ones who help build the community to what it became, I’m talking about people like Danmark ori and piccoli and others who gave their time to this place over the years and who by posting regularly and with their behaviour to others helped draw other people into the site. Now you take that away and give them Disqus. It’s not good, Dan, whatever you may think. And as for it being a big job for mods. Well surely that’s what a mod is there for, to moderate. I never yet heard of any mod here complaining that they disliked the job, otherwise surely they would not wish to do it, it being a voluntary thing anyway. You either want to do the job or you don’t.

:iagree: , oh how much :iagree: !
If a system is designed for the occasional user rather than for hard-core users, this is what you get - people that come once in a while and then go, rather than a solid user base. Incidentally, this will look nice in statistics because the number of users will increase a lot.
My personal situation: no facebook no twitter, like many. No problem in sharing my personal data with ah.fm, there is a respected person behind it that I personally know (and, before that, who was known by friends). Who is behind Disqus?
People comment less in the forum if there is less to comment... that is, if we hear no :choon: or no track :replay: . On good shows, hardcore forumers are always there.
Spam protection and software maintenance are real problems, for which I have no solution to suggest.
If I use the ah.fm app, am I supposed to open the web player to comment???

Well I have to agree with loads of the comments above, this is not really fun anymore. I know I have not been very active for a while on the forums, mostly tuned in but not commenting.

i do miss some simple links to the alternative ways of tuning in on the forum page ..

now i have to open the player window, click on tune in somehwere else (do note that the web player starts on volume 100% , you should click on play manually there) than i can tune in with winamp

a few simple links the the 192k.m3u links on the forum above would be appreciated :)

Well I have to agree with loads of the comments above, this is not really fun anymore. I know I have not been very active for a while on the forums, mostly tuned in but not commenting.

And I agree. I was used to previous site, to view of previous and next shows playing, to direct link to comment sets at homepage. It was very comfortable. Everything was simple and legible. I don't like this new alternative. It was really funny to chat with people during shows, comment and laugh. But it seems I won't comment anymore.. Too bad.. I'll miss it :(

How will people know who you are on twitter or facebook? you just creating a login on disqus nothing is displayed who you are ...

modding a forum is very time consuming, many users dont wanna use forums ... on their mobile, tablets etc .. that is why a easy system had to be created so users can easily fast comment using any device ... forums are really out dated .. its for hardcore users .. we will have the forum as we have been just shows are now going to be on player ...

Yes were all used to the forums its been 8 years now .. but i think it was time for change, broaden us up little bit... many new features will come to the player.. its still in early stages...

New website will also go up, we all will have a nice news sections, dj profiles, info and much more .. we believe the change is needed and will make our lifes and way of communicating much easier...

As for special events and EOYC it will be also on the player, also with new player the spam level is cut down by 90% ...

So please understand this was not created to make anyone mad at us, but to make things easier and more vibrant.

Dan,

I agree that change and modernization is a good thing. The new format is not however a tested concept with input from your core user base, and now alienates the regular user. Case in point - I'd post the track list for shows live as a contributor while at work for certain shows... I can no longer do that due to my company's IT policies blocking Disqus. I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue.

I think you have emptied what made AH.fm such a vibrant community. What drew people here was the music, what made them stay and support was the community. Getting to know and communicate directly within each show's thread grew relationships - things that the new system does not allow. Honestly, that's the overall issue with social media - its a flurry of activity that doesn't promote thought or meaning - just spray and pray someone actually cares or comments. The community is what made this place for me, and now that's gone in my opinion. Honestly, after supporting for months, I'm ready to pull my subscription as a supporter due to the issues below alone.

There are functions you list I cannot see or are heavily broken. There is no volume control as many of listed. There is no build number of the player. There is no comment system at all because my IT system blocks Disqus. Here's what I see:

wNDwY6.png

Also, perhaps most importantly, I hear nothing. The play button likewise does nothing for me. I have shut off both AdBlock Plus and Ghostery in an up to date Chrome to test if they broke functionality and no change.

The tabs work - I can pull up events or shows tab fine, so there is one part that works. What happens when shows get too old to find in the recent list by the way? Those comments seem gone forever. It seems that the player and new model are focused only on the immediate and care not for the people who actually help FUND the site based on what I've seen in this thread.

Also, the I commented before but Premium still feels like a slap in the face to monthly supporters. I get you want people to have flexibility, but I still feel it should be a monthly perk for subscribers (not donators). I've purchased the mobile application too, which feels like you will get rid of in lieu of the new site since it is "designed" for a mobile community.

Last edited:
And I agree. I was used to previous site, to view of previous and next shows playing, to direct link to comment sets at homepage. It was very comfortable. Everything was simple and legible. I don't like this new alternative. It was really funny to chat with people during shows, comment and laugh. But it seems I won't comment anymore.. Too bad.. I'll miss it :(

i'll miss all of you and the fun i had during the past years:hug::hug:

I remember they made a brief change before to the previous/upcoming shows and it was sorely missed.

The forums did go quiet many an evening. I guess because people move on. It will pick up and what about EOYC and YAMC etc? Twatter and facefuck is stupid because it's not about this community! We have our own logins especially for this site. It's my refuge from that junk.

I now find it impossible to just browse to the site and immediately see what's happening on an evening and see what people are saying.

Yes the forums were clunky, old and you needed to refresh constantly but what's wrong with that? No-one complained I bet.

WE NEED A VOTE - NEW or OLD! DAN?

Subscription is in the mail btw ;)

WE NEED A VOTE - NEW or OLD! DAN?

On this I do not agree. Afterhours is not ours... even if we contributed with posts or money, this is nothing with respect to what Dan did. It's his creature, he has all rights to choose what he thinks it's best... it's also his money and his life.

This said, we can decide as well if we want to use the new system, or not discuss the shows, or discuss somewhere else (either by manually creating topics in the existing ah.fm forum, or on another forum).
Or it might be possible to have a bot automatically process the http://ah.fm/player/shows page, create topics in the forum, and recreate a next5 last5 with links to the forum rather than to disqus... EDIT: not possible... it's flash and not HTML :(

Last edited:
Well this new system sucks. Im sure majority will agree with me. Was nice to know and talk to you peeps :) Maybe in next station again that sets up the forums as those work ;)

Well...at least i'm not an only who doesnt like this new way to separate forum and shows... believe, that it all will become better with the time.

Dan,
while I understand the potential need for evolution, there are some points that really need improvement.

Today, at work, Ex-Driver was blasting (positively) my ears.
I checked the Disqu comments : cool, I thought, there's a TL.
I took note of the set name, thinking : I'll check the TL tonight, at home.

Here I come : and I try to find "Ex-Driver - Supersonic October on AH.FM 01-10-2014" : impossible !

That's really awkward :(

even the http://ah.fm/player/Ex-Driver_-_Supersonic_October_on_AH.FM_01-10-2014 url does not show the comments :( Is it expected ?

Thanks
T_g

believe, that it all will become better with the time.

@ raff: such an automatic process did exist: put by http://ah.fm/forum/member.php?6334-Shows-Bot. As I understood: a script, automatically creating new Prime Time set pages. Every day, usually one day ahead. In order to encourage the use of the new AH.fm Disqus web player, this auto-running process has been stopped by Dan. On purpose. I feel Dan is giving the new approach a fair chance. With the PM plus 'other pages', the 'Non Prime Time Set' pages, around like some large mothership. Maybe for traditional 'mass' events like EOYC and YAMC an exception can be made.

For which means, to which problems the change to the use of a web player is aimed to be the answer, the solution? Or is the (no voting) shift to another means dictated by advances, by changes in technology?

Apart from the streaming audio (there were, are and will be alternatives by plenty at Internet) this radio station had and still has it's social function. To me, a Forum is like talking in a group, in public, for instance in a pub or cafe with visible people around. Or sitting on a terrace amidst friends. Newer Social Media, to me, do tend to effect into a much more highly individual centered experience. Each his/her own. All private. Words like 'fleeting, transient, temporary, airy' to me do describe this way of digital consumption. Not: communication, for, at least to me, communication suggests something mutual. Something like call and response. Not call and 'obey!', like an order, like pressing the 'Play' button. For me this in effect is more consumerism in splendid isolation for the individual listener (like listening 'on demand') and no longer a social event. Yet: the AH.fm Forum communication was and still is not limited to the (no more created) Prime Time set pages.

The outcome in the long run of the leave of a 'legacy Forum' as we knew it to this new approach is unsure to me. I get the impression, a dual layout, having both a web player plus Forums might challenge the available resources like money and time: human attention like maintenance and spam control. Maybe AH.fm is merging with another music platform, sold or bankrupt and forgotten by most people in a few years. Maybe the ease of use for mobile users is that large and the growth of listeners via mobile phone and tablet such a huge success, that the traditional formula is forgotten soon. Both adapting to change and sticking rigidly to a proven formula can lead to fail or success. Time will learn. The future of Afterhours.fm is written in the stars ...

:: Neuronica - Searching EP | Siberiada Deep ::

Well...at least i'm not an only who doesnt like this new way to separate forum and shows... believe, that it all will become better with the time.

14630401198_99f153148a_o.gif

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (4 members :grinning: and 2 guests)

danmark_ori, Maciejasd, SciLog1c+, tranceman_g

Dan,
while I understand the potential need for evolution, there are some points that really need improvement.

Today, at work, Ex-Driver was blasting (positively) my ears.
I checked the Disqu comments : cool, I thought, there's a TL.
I took note of the set name, thinking : I'll check the TL tonight, at home.

Here I come : and I try to find "Ex-Driver - Supersonic October on AH.FM 01-10-2014" : impossible !

That's really awkward :(

even the http://ah.fm/player/Ex-Driver_-_Supersonic_October_on_AH.FM_01-10-2014 url does not show the comments :( Is it expected ?

Thanks
T_g

:wave: Dag tranceman_g :friends: Just dropped the uploaded t/l at the very URL you put above :captain:

( and: hereunder the same content ) :wink:

Ex-Driver - Supersonic October 2014 tracklist:

01. Luigi Lusini & Starchaser feat. Molly Bancroft - All I Want (Ultimate Remix) [Infrasonic Pure]
02. Manuel Rocca - Esperanza (Original Mix) [Silent Shore White]
03. Moonsouls - Sparkles (Original Mix) [Infrasonic Pure]
04. Saint Sinners - Rampage (Dima Krasnik remix) [Unique Sense]
05. Igor Dyachkov vs. Anna Lee - The Night (Aimoon remix) [Silent Shore White]
06. Astuni & Shamano - Odyssey To Infinity (Original Mix) [Extrema]
07. ReOrder - Arrakis (Original Mix) [Edge EDM]
08. Lostly & Manuel Le Saux - Lost Man (Original Mix) [Discover]
09. Indecent Noise feat. Noire Lee - Glitches (Matt Bowdidge remix) [Mental Asylum]
10. Solis & Sean Truby With Audrey Gallagher - Skin Deep (STANDERWICK Remix) [Infrasonic]
11. Mostfa & Mostfa - Gravitational Singularity (Original Mix) [Extrema]

the main question should be! will this new fixture won't disappoint too many members from ah.fm forums and results in a decrease of the popularity of AH? and if there is too many rants! will/may it go back to the old way?

http://ah.fm/player/Karybde_&_Scylla_Pres_Pure_Trance_Pleasure_191_on_AH_FM_01-10-2014

:super: My favorite < track > since 1st hearing :love: :super: :choon:

:: UCast - Tanity (Original Mix) | Tytanium Recordings ::

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (6 members and 0 guests)

danmark_ori, SciLog1c+, SUNNY TOMORROW+, Icedream, Beatwave+, tranceman_g

Last edited:
Is it just me or has the number of listeners figure disappeared? Always a good thing to be able to see.

Maybe some sort of a tutorial/explanation could be typed up to help those more resistant to change in a bid to keep them on board with the community?

Back