ASOT Tune Of The Year prediction

and lastly - t4e - Nice quote by M.I.K.E? - did he actually let you quote him for that?

its a quote on quote, and no need for permission when its made public :grinning2:

its a quote on quote, and no need for permission when its made public :grinning2:

in my opinion there is - taking something out of context and putting it in a quote like that - should require a permission - i know that i would have something against using comments made in a "weak moment" like you do :)

I didn't vote... and if I would do it I would not choose tracks from TOP 20, those are not my favorite

ok I like "you never said" and I love "Lost" but... not those versions, and if you wanna say something about polish listeners of trance first you should know what is their favorite style
most of my friends love uplifting and tech trance

Maybe I'm wrong now but I have impression that you tried to evaluate somebody on base fastly extracted conclusions after you have read my post ...and don't generalize that

i highlighted the info i thought was important - which also underlines my point - uplifting and tech didnt do well - so tbh im quite sure that even as number 3 - Poland didnt have that many votes... which was my point :)

yeah, the problem is that the ASOT tunes have a huge influence on a many "trance" DJs, which is why the cheese is so overplayed...

Well Mr DFX, when you become the #1 DJ of the world you can change the scene by reducing the amount of vocal music being played, how cool would that be?... :cat:

come on people, keep real trance alive, it's all just pop music these days, the real trance is elsewhere! kinda funny when you look back, armin saying things like -> YouTube - Armin van Buuren funny interview (2004) and now he's doing exactly that himself. he's a money making machine, it's all commercial, he doesn't care about trance any more, he's doing what the masses of people like and that's pop(ular) music. so screw it, asot and armin aren't trance any more (and haven't been for a long time)l, so lets move on!

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Lead the rebellion dude, not quite sure where you will end up mind you, but lead away.

What I find funny is that Armins personal top 20, has offended so many people. What the f*ck is your problem?

Make your own top 20! Coming out with cr*p about Armin destroying trance, who the hell are you to make comments like that?

I'm agreeing with DJ Abstraction on this one. Basically, it comes down to this.

Armin had an idea of what trance is.
Other people have an idea of what trance should be.

The masses agree with Armin. Therefore Armin is the most popular DJ, and then what he does is what people follow.

Its like this.... Volkswagen may not make the best cars, but they are the most popular in Europe. So when they make a car, or sell a car....everyone looks at it with interest. Some people might say "Don't buy a Volkswagen...bring back the V8's and the old american motors." Cause they feel that's where the heritage of cars came from. But the truth is....those engines aren not popular today.

Likewise, trance came from a background...it has heritage and it has evolved. Trance today is not what it was 3, 5 or even 10yrs ago. Its different. And it's morphing. Armin and other DJ's are steering trance in a direction they see as the new wave. Old diehard fan's may not agree, but the majority of other people do agree.

Put simply...if Armin was playing cheesy vocal trance...well then...I guess cheesy vocal trance is what pulls a crowd and can sell out a stadium.

Bringing back the sound of "the way trance used to be", would be like me saying "bring back the sound of the way electronic music used to be". With the likes of Kraftwerk, Ultra Sonic, Jean Michelle Jarre, and the old Amiga 8 bit machines.

Face it.....trance has changed.

I'm agreeing with DJ Abstraction on this one. Basically, it comes down to this.

Armin had an idea of what trance is.
Other people have an idea of what trance should be.

The masses agree with Armin. Therefore Armin is the most popular DJ, and then what he does is what people follow.

Its like this.... Volkswagen may not make the best cars, but they are the most popular in Europe. So when they make a car, or sell a car....everyone looks at it with interest. Some people might say "Don't buy a Volkswagen...bring back the V8's and the old american motors." Cause they feel that's where the heritage of cars came from. But the truth is....those engines aren not popular today.

Likewise, trance came from a background...it has heritage and it has evolved. Trance today is not what it was 3, 5 or even 10yrs ago. Its different. And it's morphing. Armin and other DJ's are steering trance in a direction they see as the new wave. Old diehard fan's may not agree, but the majority of other people do agree.

Put simply...if Armin was playing cheesy vocal trance...well then...I guess cheesy vocal trance is what pulls a crowd and can sell out a stadium.

Bringing back the sound of "the way trance used to be", would be like me saying "bring back the sound of the way electronic music used to be". With the likes of Kraftwerk, Ultra Sonic, Jean Michelle Jarre, and the old Amiga 8 bit machines.

Face it.....trance has changed.

Well said, and allot more diplomatic than myself.

People are so scared of change and get offended when their favourite artists change, well sh1t! Change is a part of life, in fact it's the only thing that is guaranteed in the entire universe, things change, constantly.

What I really hate, and I mean "hate", is people putting someone on a pedestal, just to try and knock them off again, the second their own personal tastes change, to the point that they no longer find themselves congruent with the person they used to idolise (wow sorry for the massive sentence). Rather than slag them off and express how much you're annoyed, just listen to their old stuff or listen to someone else.

But sorry DFX, for you to slag Armin off like that, I think you should know better and you're just making yourself look bad.

I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again, STOP HATING! and just continue to love what fits your tastes, there isnt room for hate anymore and for someone who listens to TRANCE; a genre that has evolved out of spirituality and being one with everything, you sure are going against the nature of it.

Anyway, before I step over the line and offend anyone, I'll leave it there. If I have offended anyone, I apologuise.

Last edited:
well of course, we all know that. but that's exactly the point, it draws the masses because it's pop music, it's not trance!

edit: and btw, this is not about vocals, only armin gave a very extreme example with this top20. the same applies to other stuff like deadmaus.

Last edited:
well of course, we all know that. but that's exactly the point, it draws the masses because it's pop music, it's not trance!

edit: and btw, this is not about vocals, only armin gave a very extreme example with this top20. the same applies to other stuff like deadmaus.

Well whatever, it's just music that you don't like so much. The same principals arrise.

Well whatever, it's just music that you don't like so much. The same principals arrise.
exactly. i have no problem with ppl liking whatever they like, but please don't call it trance. it just isn't.

exactly. i have no problem with ppl liking whatever they like, but please don't call it trance. it just isn't.

This is the whole problem though, you don't think Armin is Trance anymore. Well why don't you remove his set from this years EOYC line up then? You're saying that the #1 Trance DJ of the World is not playing Trance, and that's solely because you're idea of trance is so tight that you're not giving any leeway.

It's a huge genre, you know that, I don't need to teach you to suck eggs. But come on dude...

Last edited:
This is the whole problem though, you don't think Armin is Trance anymore. Well why don't you remove his set from this years EOYC line up then? You're saying that the #1 Trance DJ of the World is not playing Trance, and that's solely because you're idea of trance is so tight that you're not giving any leeway.

It's a huge genre, you know that, I don't need to teach you to such eggs. But come on dude...

you totally got that wrong....its not one person only, even all the Armin fanboys where bitching yesterday...he has lost his touch afaic, putting all that crap pop tracks up for voting was bad, and IMO ASOT should be a 2 hour show a month and bring back the quality tunes it used to play, its not a quality show anymore its one huge commercial thing...

might want to read up on some of the comments made yesterday on different forums.

Last edited:
you totally got that wrong....its not one person only, even all the Armin fanboys where bitching yesterday...he has lost his touch afaic, putting all that crap pop tracks up for voting was bad, and IMO ASOT should be a 2 hour show a month and bring back the quality tunes it used to play, its not a quality show anymore its one huge commercial thing...

might one read up on some of the comments made yesterday on different forums.

I didn't say it was one person, where did I say it was one person? Quote me.

And that's besides the point, DFX clearly stated on here that Armin is no longer trance, do you agree with this then?

What I find funny is that Armins personal top 20, has offended so many people. What the f*ck is your problem?

Make your own top 20! Coming out with cr*p about Armin destroying trance, who the hell are you to make comments like that?

i dont remember when was the last time armin said anything for his own top 20 to be honest and i doubt if he will do it for management things..

i dont remember when was the last time armin said anything for his own top 20 to be honest and i doubt if he will do it for management things..

It is his top 20 though, surely he has the end say, he isnt likely to put in tracks he doesn't personally like.

But "trance" has so many sub-genre's. Agreed?

So what you're calling trance, and what Armin is calling trance...is pretty much just different branches of the same tree.

You've seen Ishkur's Guide To Electronic Music? That's what I'm talking about.

What you call trance, is probably the NRG Trance Genre. Or maybe the "club trance" genre. Or perhaps even a bit of goa in there. Or tech-trance. Who knows.

What Armin is calling trance...is (agreed, some pop songs), but with a club trancey melodic backing. To make...vocal trance. etc etc.

Again - its like saying what we're hearing now shouldn't be called eletronic music...cause it doesn't sound like 80's DOS games.

It is his top 20 though, surely he has the end say, he isnt likely to put in tracks he doesn't personally like.

i have doubts if it was his own top 2- to be honest and the main reason i am saying this is because armin those days follow his managements and what all the armin forum freaks say!

he has lost his way just because he just follow their opinions of random asot freaks and not his own style to be honest and thats sad

I didn't say it was one person, where did I say it was one person? Quote me.

And that's besides the point, DFX clearly stated on here that Armin is no longer trance, do you agree with this then?

yes, i agree and is my opinion too along with a lot more ppl now, that have given ASOT a chance and finally start to notice the degradation....even the ones that love vocals admitted that this year's Top 20 was ridiculous.....

i have doubts if it was his own top 2- to be honest and the main reason i am saying this is because armin those days follow his managements and what all the armin forum freaks say!

he has lost his way just because he just follow their opinions of random asot freaks and not his own style to be honest and thats sad

Well that's just speculation and not fact unfortunately, in the same way that me thinking that it's his personal favourites. I associate ASOT with Armin, so in my eye it's Armins view. His fans made him what he is today so for him to bend with them a little isn't such a bad thing is it?

This happens time and time again, it's echoing. Music artist starts off underground, gets a following, releases some tracks, gets a lucky break, makes a name for themselves, attempts to continue their success for as long as possible, gets influence by different things, then gets slated for "selling out". That applies for pretty much any musical artist, someone always starts hating them.

Back