31-03-2007 Afterhours.FM Torrent Server *closed as of Dec 1st 08*

Ummm .. try taking a written consent from your fav artist signed under Sony or EMI and mess with one of his tracks and see the royal treatment you get from these Labels via RIAA.

A sight clarification ... the term "looses all rights to his own creation!" is more like loosing control over how it shall be used by its authorized seller ( the record company ) for making profits out of it, promote/feature/recompile it, or similar.
yes, i just wanted to point out that the copyright still remains with the original artist and it will always do so :grinning:

of course it doesn't mean the artist can actually do anything with it, because he may have signed contracts preventing him from that. it's just that some people think that signing a track to a label means they lose copyright - that's not true.

Another funny thing is, once an artist submits his work to a Record Company, he looses all rights to his own creation!

Well how about we don't go to the labels and give you all our work for free ?

:p

....Don't tell me you will not earned any profits from the track

Well how about we don't go to the labels and give you all our work for free ?

:p

....Don't tell me you will not earned any profits from the track

Isnt that the reason why Indie Record Labels and online music stores have become popular?

Isnt that the reason why Artists are testing new concept of free downloads against a donation/price of the album which the fan thinks is justified?

Isnt that the reason why Indie Record Labels and online music stores have become popular?

Isnt that the reason why Artists are testing new concept of free downloads against a donation/price of the album which the fan thinks is justified?

This is my point,Thank you :grinning:

yes. what exactly that is depends on the local legislation of the broadcaster, or in other words, on the laws of the country the broadcaster is from. for most countries, the broadcaster needs to pay royalties, usually dependent on how many listeners there are. canada is one of the few exceptions, web broadcasters are freed from paying royalties, and AH hails from canada. this is why AH is fully legal.

Thanks DFX, exactly my point.

Trance becoming donationware... :mask:

I strongly believe this is the future of music on the internet.

We should stop wasting our energy trying to find ways to put copyrighted material on torrent or anywhere else on the web. The future of the Internet belongs to free contents and services, and donations (I call it "free payment", see my blog post The Process of Free: The Missing Link Blogging in the Cloud) should be regarded as a legitimate and the preferred way to get revenues from fans.

Many of us already donate for content generated under open licensing schemes. My belief is that many more people would donate if a “culture” of payment for creative work was created. AH.FM is a living proof that people are wise and mature enough to freely pay for something they love.

Last edited:
I strongly believe this is the future of music on the internet.

We should stop wasting our energy trying to find ways to put copyrighted material on torrent or anywhere else on the web. The future of the Internet belongs to free contents and services, and donations (I call it "free payment", see my blog post The Process of Free: The Missing Link Blogging in the Cloud) should be regarded as a legitimate and the preferred way to get revenues from fans.

Many of us already donate for content generated under open licensing schemes. My belief is that many more people would donate if a “culture” of payment for creative work was created. AH.FM is a living proof that people are wise and mature enough to freely pay for something they love.

The problem I see here is that a track needs to be mastered well, with expensive equipment, otherwise it won't sound good. Not every artist can afford that and has the knowledge how to master a track properly, so he needs somebody who does that for him for him - this will cost money, and therefore is a risk for the producer. Same with software for producing... so loads of other things would have to become donationware as well, which is highly unlikely.

just my 2 cents :smile1:

The problem I see here is that a track needs to be mastered well, with expensive equipment, otherwise it won't sound good. Not every artist can afford that and has the knowledge how to master a track properly, so he needs somebody who does that for him for him - this will cost money, and therefore is a risk for the producer. Same with software for producing... so loads of other things would have to become donationware as well, which is highly unlikely.

just my 2 cents :smile1:
two points here... 1) many producers do the mastering themselves, 2) software can be free as well. but granted, as much as i'm in favor of free content (and there is plenty of that around, actual content like wikipedia, loads of great free software etc), it's not always possible or feasible. in the past, labels were important to get the music out to the people. this is still their strength today, they take care of making the tracks available on all relevant platforms and promoting them. however for online media, this isn't really necessary, it could just as well be on a free platform ala wikipedia. but then again, many artists would rather get money for the tracks they produce instead of giving them away for free - relying on donations won't work i think. so what's needed is a free, open platform for this kinda thing, one that works and gets the job done, and more importantly is well supported.

er well, rambling over without any conclusion...

two points here... 1) many producers do the mastering themselves, 2) software can be free as well. but granted, as much as i'm in favor of free content (and there is plenty of that around, actual content like wikipedia, loads of great free software etc), it's not always possible or feasible. in the past, labels were important to get the music out to the people. this is still their strength today, they take care of making the tracks available on all relevant platforms and promoting them. however for online media, this isn't really necessary, it could just as well be on a free platform ala wikipedia. but then again, many artists would rather get money for the tracks they produce instead of giving them away for free - relying on donations won't work i think. so what's needed is a free, open platform for this kinda thing, one that works and gets the job done, and more importantly is well supported.

er well, rambling over without any conclusion...

I would not underestimate free payment's (donation) economic potential. It is more or less the same argument that was made when Wikipedia first started: people wouldn't believe you could build an encyclopedia relying only on unpaid voluntary work. I realize that giving money is another step but I think people are more and more ready for it. It is not about generosity, it is about willingly paying for something you consume and love.

I am curious to hear Dan opinion on the subject since he is experiencing first hand with donations? :smile1:

thx for bringing me into this kasiex :) :hug:hah

This is a hard topic, everyone has their own opinions, so I can say my also, my opinion is that music industry is slowly moving into something i would call "free zone" now before anyone flames me :p reason i say that is, many DJ's are starting to realize that giving away free music, sorta gets them more gigs, i mean the money they make on a gig does not even come close to what their track would pay them. What you will see in future is many DJ's will open up their own labels, will give away free music, in return they will get more exposure, ending in possibly more gigs.

Like i said above, this is just my theory based on djs that talk to me and I have a 2000 person msn list mostly djs :p In regards to donations, when i started the Radio we were 128k ... then after just 2 months i decided to go to 192K, and also decided to be FREE, reason is, if someone really likes what AH.FM is doing, they like how professional we are they will donate, many people tune in from their work daily, our AVG listen time is 9 hours, people really enjoy the music here, not only because AH.FM is 99% exclusive but due to our high quality.

We don't believe in charging listeners to listen, although donations is a really big matter for me, cause without them AH.FM would not be what it is today.

So thank you all who donate to keep AH.FM running. :hug::hug:

I would not underestimate free payment's (donation) economic potential. It is more or less the same argument that was made when Wikipedia first started: people wouldn't believe you could build an encyclopedia relying only on unpaid voluntary work. I realize that giving money is another step but I think people are more and more ready for it. It is not about generosity, it is about willingly paying for something you consume and love.

I am curious to hear Dan opinion on the subject since he is experiencing first hand with donations? :smile1:

thx for bringing me into this kasiex :) :hug:hah

This is a hard topic, everyone has their own opinions, so I can say my also, my opinion is that music industry is slowly moving into something i would call "free zone" now before anyone flames me :p reason i say that is, many DJ's are starting to realize that giving away free music, sorta gets them more gigs, i mean the money they make on a gig does not even come close to what their track would pay them. What you will see in future is many DJ's will open up their own labels, will give away free music, in return they will get more exposure, ending in possibly more gigs.

Like i said above, this is just my theory based on djs that talk to me and I have a 2000 person msn list mostly djs :p In regards to donations, when i started the Radio we were 128k ... then after just 2 months i decided to go to 192K, and also decided to be FREE, reason is, if someone really likes what AH.FM is doing, they like how professional we are they will donate, many people tune in from their work daily, our AVG listen time is 9 hours, people really enjoy the music here, not only because AH.FM is 99% exclusive but due to our high quality.

We don't believe in charging listeners to listen, although donations is a really big matter for me, cause without them AH.FM would not be what it is today.

So thank you all who donate to keep AH.FM running. :hug::hug:

What do you think of donation as a business model for EDM industry or in general?

What do you think of donation as a business model for EDM industry or in general?

Business model? its very vague... but if someone really likes something they will donate, that's my take on it.

For example last week I tried a new software for my mac called Airfoil, its free but they have a donate button, i liked this software so much that I donated 20$ :)

Someone had to spend the time coding it etc, I liked it and so i Donate, I also use this same theory in music, someone needs to spend the time to make the tracks, someone likes it they will donate.

But then again, there is many types of people out there, some that do appreciate and some that will just abuse. That's what makes everyone uniq :)

Hope that answers your question my friend. :friends:

fully agree with that. the problem is that music isn't "just" information, there's more to it. but i think it's gonna move to being more free in the long run, it's the same thing with software, look at all the amounts of free software around today. and a few big name artists already had their take on "giving music away for free".

in any case, the message to the labels, RIAA etc should be: don't fight new technology, embrace it!

i agree.

software is going free and if not at least prices are razonable now than before. i think they realized they could sale more if the price is low and the distribution is via internet.

about music. i dont see much problem with music. because you can find any song you want without buy the whole cd on internet. and the price is fine. the edm labels had learn how to use internet to sale the tracks. and is working. is even useful for the artist bacause they are getting more publicity with internet distribution. i just hope they dont go crazy and start implementing restrictions for you to take your music where you want. you know. copy to mp3 players to listen at your car or put them on cds or wherever. i think if you have payed for something you must be able to listen to it wherever you go and in the media you want. mp3 usb players, cellphone, ipod, computer, cd, dvd, bluray, or any media you can get your song inside.

i dont want to see that if you bought a song you can only listen on the computer you are using, or if you bought on itunes you only can play it with ipod. if you bought a song with realplayer you only can listen with real player... thats wrong. you must be able to listen even without any player if you can write your own softare or build your own mp3 decoding device. the music format must be universal and playable in most of devices not only the ones they tell you. if not then you got your songs for rent. not as a sale.

ahhh. i must calm down now LOL...

the only problem in my opinion according to illegal download is with movies. and i am not sure why. i think maybe people think is better to rent or download a movie and not buy it because they will watch it only once. i dont know. but would be a great idea to start selling movies on internet too. at a razonable price of course. :music: in mexico piracy of movies was a several problem, but nowadays that is changing because dvds have a more razonable price they decresed value and people is buying the original because is not tooo expensive. i remember when dvds were at 60 us like it were an xbox game. now you can find your favorite in less than 20. :)

Last edited:
the only problem in my opinion according to illegal download is with movies. and i am not sure why. i think maybe people think is better to rent or download a movie and not buy it because they will watch it only once. i dont know. but would be a great idea to start selling movies on internet too. at a razonable price of course. :music: in mexico piracy of movies was a several problem, but nowadays that is changing because dvds have a more razonable price they decresed value and people is buying the original because is not tooo expensive. i remember when dvds were at 60 us like it were an xbox game. now you can find your favorite in less than 20. :)

I hope i am not going too much off topic with my reply!I saw and i read all your post and thought i should post my opinion too :

Movies download - i am not going to mention music this is another subject - was always a big problem for the industry generally and now the economic crisis its on air you can see the problem is growing and growing now!

I totally agree with you for the fact that if the prizes in the dvds in the cinema as well was reasonable none of us and the rest of the word will ever start download a movie!

Its just not always someone is able to watch a different kind and style of movie - for example i like those non english spoken movies but most of them since they are not commercial , and not american production as well - never show them in the cinema so... I have the choice now either not to watch it at all and just choose from the crap that someones the cinemas and the TV serve or i will go online and download it..

You got my point?

All I can say is WOW.
Spend the last few hours digesting the contents of this thread. Very interesting indeed.
I liked the fact that we could download the sets for later playback on our iPod's etc, but I'm totally cool with playing Ball with the industry.
Listening Live totally Rocks, and for those of you who have participated in the threads during live sets( Live being at a venue and broadcasting over AH, or a set playing at its regular time with a bunch of us posting during its play) will agree that they are some of the best times we ever have. And the sets really never sound as good as when you are listening to them WITH your friends.

So keep in mind, if you really want to have a set to play on your iPod or in your Car, you'll find a way to make it happen. If the DJ posts a link to his/her set on their own site page, or elsewhere, or you PM them and ask where you can get a copy, or you end up IM'ing them on a regular basis and get first listen to their new sets, your entire life will evolve.
We are all her for a purpose, and without getting to deep, we are all here to help our race(Earthlings, pay attention) get better. We naturally do this using a process generically called Evolution. And guess what, it works.
Well AH.FM also wants to get better so it must evolve.

So great work Dan, as always, and not just Dan but the whole staff. Evolve our world thru the Best Trance and Progressive on this small planet( we call it Earth, since your paying attention, lol ) and let's just watch AH.FM grow from Earth's best Listening experience to our Galaxies best listening experience.(Based on earth's listening capabilities)

Last edited:
Going a bit far for 2009 now are we..the best in the galaxy..how do we know the aliens don't have the best trance?..:grinning2:

Back