31-03-2007 Afterhours.FM Torrent Server *closed as of Dec 1st 08*

Again, I want to reassure any individual reading this that they will face no legal trouble for recording/sharing a DJ set publicly. The proof is in all the web sites out there that have such material available for download at no cost (including other "radio stations" similar to AH.FM).

Of course that doesn't mean that the artists/labels/sites won't get mad at you, but who cares!

you really don't get the big picture, do you?

lets see who cares....Label dictates to the Artist/Producer.....Artist provides shows on Internet Radio...which may well not happen if the Label decides to say so to the Artist

just a lil something to say and ill be on my way.

the torrents are gone, and i will miss them dearly. However, life goes on and therefore, there is no longer any sense in crying over spilled milk as Dan has already said, he had no choice in the matter to do what has been done. whats done is done. time to move on and look forward to the future.

Its not the end of the world folks.

I await to see what the on-demand feature will be like in 2009. :book:

A-M over and out :captain:

Again, I want to reassure any individual reading this that they will face no legal trouble for recording/sharing a DJ set publicly. The proof is in all the web sites out there (including other "radio stations" similar to AH.FM) that have such material available for download at no cost.

Of course that doesn't mean that the artists/labels/sites won't get mad at you, but who cares!

Then you can download the shows @ "other radios" :) BUT you won't download FULL sets @ AH.FM

Let's just drop this topic.

RIP torrents.ah.fm :P

( /me thinks of migrating to Europe to catch the prime time evening shows for December atleast! )

its always nice to download something for your mp3 player.
is that gonna be possible with on demand?

well it's not possible, on-demand is a completely different system.:)

Then you can download the shows @ "other radios" :) BUT you won't download FULL sets @ AH.FM

Let's just drop this topic.

well said Dan:)

people doesn't understand the pressure the labels put on you or the radio to not provide a download system, when i first came to AH i got really surprised AH had a download system, because of some articles i read about the subject, and i'm very glad you went to the decision of shutting down the download system, that in the future could kill the radio:grinning:

Last edited:
I am not able to access torrents website,error message I am getting is ' Internet Explorer cannot open this webpage'. Wasnt torrent service to go offline starting Jan 09 ?

I am not able to access torrents website,error message I am getting is ' Internet Explorer cannot open this webpage'. Wasnt torrent service to go offline starting Jan 09 ?

Dec 1st 2008.

stream ripping is the same as recording a show from TV for later viewing, if the act itself of recording a show was illegal we wouldn't have VCR's and PVR's and whatever else is available out there, stream ripping has been done to death since the times of audio tapes when ppl run to hit that record button when their favorite song came up on the radio, however making those recordings for any other reason than personal use it is illegal, like making them available for download to others or selling them since redistributing copyrighted content or acquiring copyrighted content that you wouldn't otherwise have access to is illegal.

there are two important parts of the copyright law relating to recordings:

First, the basic right of copying is outlined in section 1008:

second, and most important part of the DMCA - Digital Millennium Copyright Act as it relates to copying and circumventing copy protection systems:

§ 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems2

which is too extensive to reproduce here but the point of it is that is often used to stop distribution of certain copying programs that operates by recording what comes out of the PC speakers, using capabilities built into Windows

Which means it is ILLEGAL to download from Apple iTunes or sites like audio jelly or any other place even if you pay for it... :whistle:

That is the way the law is written. Apple was talking about shutting down iTunes store because of the way the law is written.

Which means it is ILLEGAL to download from Apple iTunes or sites like audio jelly or any other place even if you pay for it... :whistle:
why? :unsure:

That is the way the law is written. Apple was talking about shutting down iTunes store because of the way the law is written.

that is exactly what most ppl FAIL to see, including the governing bodies,...technology moves way faster than the ones responsible for amending the laws

that is exactly what most ppl FAIL to see, including the governing bodies,...technology moves way faster than the ones responsible for amending the laws

i feel bad for torrents, was a brilliant idea but couldnt survive to the laws and bussiness, any way i hope new and "better things" were to come in the future.

:)

internet was a great idea, brilliant idea that born from the team of arpanet and Tim Berners Lee who created the www. any way the original idea was to share information with everyone everywhere. and all was fun until the "business", "money", "laws", and "politics" became part of the game. then was not fun anymore lol.

today internet is becoming more a bussiness than a sharing place.

i hope that in the future we were able to find free things on internet.
and people were looking for information, experiences and knowledge more than money.

:music:

Last edited:
i feel bad for torrents, was a brilliant idea but couldnt survive to the laws and bussiness, any way i hope new and "better things" were to come in the future.

:)

internet was a great idea, brilliant idea that born from the team of arpanet and Tim Berners Lee who created the www. any way the original idea was to share information with everyone everywhere. and all was fun until the "business", "money", "laws", and "politics" became part of the game. then was not fun anymore lol.

today internet is becoming more a bussiness than a sharing place.

i hope that in the future we were able to find free things on internet.
and people were looking for information, experiences and knowledge more than money.

:music:

fully agree with that. the problem is that music isn't "just" information, there's more to it. but i think it's gonna move to being more free in the long run, it's the same thing with software, look at all the amounts of free software around today. and a few big name artists already had their take on "giving music away for free".

in any case, the message to the labels, RIAA etc should be: don't fight new technology, embrace it!

fully agree with that. the problem is that music isn't "just" information, there's more to it. but i think it's gonna move to being more free in the long run, it's the same thing with software, look at all the amounts of free software around today. and a few big name artists already had their take on "giving music away for free".

in any case, the message to the labels, RIAA etc should be: don't fight new technology, embrace it!

true, "if you can't fight them join them", i think there will no problem with the independent labels, the big problem is the big labels chains, that are pressuring the Governments, but what i am seeing is some of them are embracing the internet and are changing their attitude, read some articles that one of them is distributing some artists and music in the internet for free.

/me raises his hand!

The giveaway of music for free ... is basically the result of artists fed up with Record labels paying them the least of the profits earned out of the sale of their own album.

RIAA and MPAA are fighting against illegal sharing of music and entertainment data in electronic form, so that the record companies dont loose their share of profits by selling physical CDs and DVDs.

After buying music from ITunes, which is DRM protected, or from Audio Jelly which is not, you can listen to it, a million times. However, you cannot share it with me or transform it into another medium, say like burning a CD of it, or in case if you are streaming it, then you pay royalty money to the respective record labels.

The case here is, suppose, a DJ produces a track and submits it to a Record Label. The Record label sends it out as a Demo or promo to a second DJ, which gets mixed in his set, that is aired here.

Now, being amazed by the track and/or the set, we download it and relisten to it via torrents. The record company "thinks" we are potentially destroying their business by not buying the track and sticking on to just downloading the set and may be ripping of the track from it.

Our forum being a source of such distribution of these tracks, via torrent becomes blacklisted by the record companies, who can deny the DJs here of any further tracks for promotion. So then, no promos/tunes.. no sets..... no sets ... no AH. Thus no torrents any further.

For the DJs who "buy" their tracks to mix, well mixing is fine, but giving a download link to your set, you are mass sharing the track for free, and that is considered "illegal".

Another funny thing is, once an artist submits his work to a Record Company, he looses all rights to his own creation!

Wonder if we shall have to pay royalty for this On Demand Streaming as well. Coz that too calls for paying to certain organizations which look after the interest of the Record Companies enlisted under them.

Reverse Engineering of sets is fine if you dont get caught by Laws for doing it, but in case you are, be prepared to shell out big time hard cash as fine.

( Please feel free to correct me at places where I am wrong )

Another funny thing is, once an artist submits his work to a Record Company, he looses all rights to his own creation!
this isn't quite true, but a common misconception. basic copyright ownership is universal and international. the creator of a work always owns the copyright to it, and there's no way to give that right away or void it. so an artist is always allowed to give his works away under whatever conditions he pleases, BUT the contracts with the labels may state that you aren't supposed to do so. if you still do so, you're violating the contract with the label, but NOT copyright law. additionally, labels to NOT own the copyright to the tracks they're selling, they're merely licensed to sell them by the original artist.

Last edited:
additionally, labels do NOT own the copyright to the tracks they're selling, they're merely licensed to sell them by the original artist.

Ummm .. try taking a written consent from your fav artist signed under Sony or EMI and mess with one of his tracks and see the royal treatment you get from these Labels via RIAA.

A sight clarification ... the term "looses all rights to his own creation!" is more like loosing control over how it shall be used by its authorized seller ( the record company ) for making profits out of it, promote/feature/recompile it, or similar.

( Hope Dad doesnt kill me for this ) :angel:

Last edited:

Back