What do you hate about trance?

i dont know.

i think i dont hate anything of trance. is just some songs arent good.
but the genre is very nice, with lots of possibilities.

the only thing i hate is drugs related vocals. but i can deal with that.

about sexual explicit vocals. well. there are some songs with some cool vocals included. actually i like these maybe because i am some kind of perverted guy.

i remember a psysex track with the sound of a couple doing it in the break of the song. of course i never played it live. lol!!!!!!! :lol: but it was a cool song.

What I hate about trance?

Trance tunes who are non-dance able. ( as in extreme fluff ) Like 7438294 sounds and noises on the background which makes the beat hard to notice.

What I hate about trance is that certain so called revolutionary djs have come in to play what they appear to consider to be trance but is actually little more than atmospheric film or industrial music.

It makes me mad when they are brought on as the next wave of great super star players who are moving the genre on. It doesn't need moving on. Its fine as it is. But these djs aren't playing trance. Trance for me is upbeat and i'm talking four to the floor beats at around 140bpm or more with big melodies and arpegio riffs and beautiful vocals prefarable femele.

Trance is not about gloom its about having a good time and dancing and humming along to the great meloldies.

If you look at the posts in the forums you will find that sets that get the most response and cause the most excitement every time are the ones that are four to the floor. melodic and generally euphoric. Anything else and the posts will lessen and often be off topic because they have nothing interesting to say about the stuff being played. This is my opinion.

Last edited:
pop, cheeze and vocal trance. deadmau5, thats what i hate the most!

big +1 :)

is that deadmau5' fault? :)

no, its the trance djs fault, which is why the thread is called "what do you hate about trance"

well i assume it's about both trance tracks and trance sets, no? :unsure:

well i assume it's about both trance tracks and trance sets, no? :unsure:

There you say it, trance sets.

And well, since kuragari is focussing on artists in the first topic post, i'd guess not..

I don't wanna be an ass, but it's just unreasonable of people to say Deadmau5 sucks when we're talking about trance. He hasn't made a single trancetrack up till now, so he hasn't got anything to do with it. He doesn't play trance in his sets also, so he isn't a trance dj either. That trance dj's play tracks from other genres in their sets doesn't mean those tracks suddenly become trance.. Therefor it's kinda stupid to say you hate Deadmau5 when you're talking about trance. If you hate Deadmau5, then listen to real trancesets. Sets with a deadmau5 track simply aren't trancesets, whatever you say about it. Maybe you can say a set like that is a progressive set, or when the set ends with trance you can say it's an allround set..

ah well.. i just can't help it that those kinda posts disturb me, i just think it is obvious enough that Deadmau5 doesn't have anything to do with trance, and the fact that some people actually think he does make me just fall off my chair..

that's the last i'll say about that, before the whole discussion starts again

Last edited:
I don't wanna be an ass, but it's just unreasonable of people to say Deadmau5 sucks when we're talking about trance. He hasn't made a single trancetrack up till now, so he hasn't got anything to do with it. He doesn't play trance in his sets also, so he isn't a trance dj either. That trance dj's play tracks from other genres in their sets doesn't mean those tracks suddenly become trance.. Therefor it's kinda stupid to say you hate Deadmau5 when you're talking about trance. If you hate Deadmau5, then listen to real trancesets. Sets with a deadmau5 track simply aren't trancesets, whatever you say about it.

that is exactly the point. apparently a lot of people do think that deadmaus is trance and thus it's ok to play it in a set that is supposed to be trance (or prog for that matter, as most of his stuff isn't prog either). i have no problem with deadmaus or his tracks -- i don't like them, but i won't complain as long as i don't have to listen to them. the problem starts when djs throw his tracks in sets that are supposed to be trance/prog, where they don't really belong - same is true for any techno, house or whatever track, but it only rarely happens for those, while it's quite common for deadmaus tracks to be played. which is why i hate deadmaus in trance, in the same way i hate techno or schranz or pop or whatever in trance.

because trance djs play deadmaus :P

Trance dj's aren't trance only dj's . they play alot more styles, pure trance dj's are dj's like MLS, you and a few others..

Most trance dj's arent playing trance only and so yes they also play deadmau5.

Trance dj's aren't trance only dj's . they play alot more styles, pure trance dj's are dj's like MLS, you and a few others..

well those dj's shouldn't be called trance dj's, that will make a lot of people understand that Deadmau5 isn't trance either. I call MLS a trance dj.. But i don't call Armin van Buuren a trance dj, an certainly not Tiesto either. Ferry Corsten is coming closer to being a trance dj than those two guys.

yes, and i don't like that, and neither do some other people here.

But i don't call Armin van Buuren a trance dj, an certainly not Tiesto either.

agreed. problem is, for one they used to be trance djs (mostly anyway), but not any more. which is a real shame and another thing i don't like. the biggest problem though is that a lot of people do think they're still trance djs, book them to trance events, have them play on trance radios etc, and above all have them advertised as being trance djs, thus making more people think that what they're playing (incl deadmaus) is trance, which it isn't. in effect it's all just diluting real trance, thus killing it in the long run.

agreed. problem is, for one they used to be trance djs (mostly anyway), but not any more. which is a real shame and another thing i don't like. the biggest problem though is that a lot of people do think they're still trance djs, book them to trance events, have them play on trance radios etc, and above all have them advertised as being trance djs, thus making more people think that what they're playing (incl deadmaus) is trance, which it isn't. in effect it's all just diluting real trance, thus killing it in the long run.

Yeah you are right. I think real pure trance dj's can never get as good as the top dj's now. Pure trance won't bring you on top..

Back